MISTKING for Veiled Chameleons.....

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
When me Veiled chams are living indoors, should I use my MISTKING to provide a mist, or aim it at some leaves and use it to produce drips?
The outdoors humidity here in south Florida is pretty high. But indoors it's about 20%.

Veilds only need about 35-45% humidity during the day and 90-100% @ night time. Definitely use it. Misters are good for 2 things. Keeping your humidity adequate and providing drinking water to your cham.

As a general rule, you want to have you nozzle in an upper corner and point it at a downward angle to the other corner of the cage. This will give you the most surface area of coverage. Most chams will move when the mist starts as to not get "cold". I have chams that'll run and hide behind leaves, or one girl who will climb the nozzle and hide above or below it. My male doesn't mind it.

The idea is to "simulate a rain storm" and encourage the natural behaviour of licking water from the leaves. Chams dont absorb moisture through their skin. The high humidity at night is to collect "dew drops" on their body and mouth so that they don't wake up parched (this is my understanding anyway).

In short, spray the foliage as spraying your cham will do nothing for it.

It's for two juvenile male Veiled Chameleons. In 2 cages.
I have drippers that drip for about 3 hours a day and my MISTKING sprays for 1 or 2 minutes every 4 or 5 hours. Day and night.
The cages are screen XXL 24X24X48 with 1" holes drilled in the bottom that are siliconed to the table below that has corresponding holes and two buckets are underneath. Lots of drainage.
There are 3' tall potted Pothos in each cage with many vines. The Pothos are sitting in decorative pots on paver bricks on top of the drains.
It has Exo terra 80w UVA, UVB and heat lamps on top and a 4' long florescent lamp is suspended above the cages.
The room temperature is 74 and that's also the night temp in the cages. The basking spots are 85, 86.
The cages are side by side with a sight barrier in between them.
There is a cut to fit shower curtain on each outside side. The front is open and faces out. The back is open and faces a wall.
The chams also spend one or two days a week outdoors when the weather is good enough.
Does this sound ok?

Probably don't need to continue spraying overnight. As long as the cage dries out fully (I.e. no droplets still on leaves, branches/vines dry) between sessions and your humidity is within range, it sounds good to me!

My veiled girl gets 3.5 mins in the morning, 2 mins early afternoon, 3.5 mins in the evening, and a 1 min spritz at 10pm to top up her humdity for the night. I have a very dry house and a lot of sensitive plants though haha!

Misters are good for 2 things. Keeping your humidity adequate and providing drinking water to your cham.
In short, spray the foliage as spraying your cham will do nothing for it.
You should absolutely be spraying your Cham directly during your misting sessions. Doesn’t have to be the whole time, but should definitely be part of your schedule.

Chameleons need rain/misting to keep their eyes clean. Think of it as using the rain to clean your trucks windshield.

Ok
The daytime settings are all 1.5 minutes. 8am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm. That leaves droplets everywhere and gives humidity. Though it dries pretty quickly.
The two night time intervals are for just 20 seconds. 11pm and 4am.This is just for humidity as my house has A/C 27/7 and is rather dry.
It does drain and dry between misting.
I'll continue to tweak this as I go. It's a work in progress.

Probably don't need to continue spraying overnight. As long as the cage dries out fully (I.e. no droplets still on leaves, branches/vines dry) between sessions and your humidity is within range, it sounds good to me!

My veiled girl gets 3.5 mins in the morning, 2 mins early afternoon, 3.5 mins in the evening, and a 1 min spritz at 10pm to top up her humdity for the night. I have a very dry house and a lot of sensitive plants though haha!
3.5 minutes with a MISTKING?
Boy, that's a lot of water.
I'm using less duration. But more intervals.
AND I finally saw one of them drink!

Filling the viv with live plants goes a long way towards maintaining humidity. If you wanted to post some pics or even fill out the help form we can help you tune it up...
I'll get more photos tomorrow.
It's a 4' tall cage with a 3.5' Pothos.
It's pretty full of live plants.
The photo shows the plants. But it was before I got the chams.

Attachments

• 20191124_191407.jpg
    20191124_191407.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 75
3.5 minutes with a MISTKING?
Boy, that's a lot of water.
I'm using less duration. But more intervals.
AND I finally saw one of them drink!

It seems like a lot, doesn't it? But that's how long it takes to properly soak my plants haha! I do a 10 minute session once or twice a week, and hand spray just about daily to reach plants that the MistKing just won't cover. I have a very high maintenance enclosure lol!

It works outto about 2 gallons a week, if that. The MistKing has very fine spray! My pressurized hand mister goes through a solid 4 times more in the same time frame.

It seems like a lot, doesn't it? But that's how long it takes to properly soak my plants haha! I do a 10 minute session once or twice a week, and hand spray just about daily to reach plants that the MistKing just won't cover. I have a very high maintenance enclosure lol!

It works outto about 2 gallons a week, if that. The MistKing has very fine spray! My pressurized hand mister goes through a solid 4 times more in the same time frame.
I suppose you're right. Its NOT that much water. I've had that MISTKING going for a few days now and I also use about 20 ounces of water per dripper (2) and my drain buckets underneath my set up only has about 2 to 2.5" of water in them.
That mist is super fine.

Back
Top Bottom