Mistking accessory question

Trailgem

Avid Member
I finally got my Mistking to work like I want it to. I was browsing their website last night, and found a filter that you add between the pump and the reservoir.

Ya think it would suffice and I could use just regular water instead of distilled?

And I found their timer that measures humidity. I’m wondering how well it works? I like the idea that the mister kicks in if humidity levels are too low.

I finally got my Mistking to work like I want it to. I was browsing their website last night, and found a filter that you add between the pump and the reservoir.

Ya think it would suffice and I could use just regular water instead of distilled?

And I found their timer that measures humidity. I’m wondering how well it works? I like the idea that the mister kicks in if humidity levels are too low.

I just got the hydrostat controller and personally do not like it for chameleons, I do not have any at the time, but am getting my setup ready. The problem with the hydrostat is you can not set it to go off on a timer, it only goes off when humidity dips to your preset level. So in my opinion its much harder to control and you need to have fans running to keep the humidity from staying around and them never getting sprayed.

Would love to hear about this filter though! Anyone run there mistking on water they get from a dehumidifier?

Yeah so I would stay away from the hydrostat... This is why. So with Panthers and Veileds... You are targeting a much lower daytime level. Veileds needing more of a 30-40% max humidity level and Panthers needing more of a 40-50% daytime level. So if your mister is going off every time it drops say 5% below then you are going to have spikes all day of 80%. Then there is the fact that you are also misting consistently with the heat of all the lights. Hot wet air gives you potential for an RI. Then you also have to take into account that you want your cage to dry out completely in between misting. Wet branches that are not able to fully dry out grow bacteria that your Cham is then walking through and breathing in. :)

Now as for the filter I have no idea. I do use RO for my mistking, fogger, and my auto dripper. I do not want to risk damaging expensive items with anything else. Plus you then have the upkeep of the filter.. If there is a cartridge how often should you replace this? How expensive is it. I know for me I use about 5 gallons of RO a week at 40 cents a gallon.

Now interesting idea running the mistking on water from a dehumidifier. This was something I was actually curious about... But this is why I did not pursue it further though. 1... You would be cleaning the reservoir for the dehumidifier constantly to avoid nasty stuff and you do not have access to the internal working parts to clean it. 2... This is where I got iffy on the idea. So the filter on mine constantly has lint like build up even after a day from sucking in the air. So my concern here is how much actually would pass back through to the water. So I chose not to because I can not guarantee what is in the water and since they clean their eyes and drink the water I would not want to risk it.

Now interesting podcast you both may like on naturalistic hydration.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

As said above don’t use anything other than RO water or distilled for your misting systems and ultrasonic humidifiers. Most people’s water from the tap has a lot of calcuim deposits and other things which can clog or ruin/clog your misting systems and humidifiers.

What is RO water?
Reverse Osmosis. :) RO for short. You can get a RO filter for your house water or you can buy it at your local pet store. If they have Salt water fish that they sell then more then likely they run a large RO filter and sell it by the gallon. :)

Back
Top Bottom