misting

danmar26

Is there anybody out there that doesn't mist at all? I have been hand misting,but my veiled freaks out and takes cover every time. I thought he would learn to accept it over time, but it's been over 2 months and he still hasn't gotten used to it. I was thinking of going with a mist king, but not sure knowing he doesn't like it.

Mine hate being misted. I spray around my chams when I mist, or hold my hand over them so it's like an umbrella to keep them dry. They tolerate it then. I hooked up a humidifier to PVC piping that goes up to their cages so they get good humidity without getting sprayed. It also helps since I can't be home all day to mist them. They have a dripper that goes all day so they can drink whenever they want.

What about a rain system. Mine runs when i spray also. So im saving to make a rain system. Another guy posted how he made one. I would recommend looking that up

If you want a really easy rain system get a big tupperware (the thin plastic kind) and poke lots of hole in the bottom. Super cheap and works like a charm. :D

Is there anybody out there that doesn't mist at all? I have been hand misting,but my veiled freaks out and takes cover every time. I thought he would learn to accept it over time, but it's been over 2 months and he still hasn't gotten used to it. I was thinking of going with a mist king, but not sure knowing he doesn't like it.

i don't mist that much because one, my cham does not drink from the mistings and two, my humidity stays around 60-70% even when I dont mist. I live in Florida so I am lucky. Does your chameleon drink from a dripper? Mine does, so I for one do not worry about the mistings all too often.

I like the rain maker idea. In his old small enclosure he knew right where to go to drink from the dripper. I moved him to a larger enclosure and he doesn't seem to drink anymore. His feces looks normal so maybe he is drinking but I'm not seeing it.

yes alot of chams don't drink in front of people for whatever reason! Mine used to never, now he drink in front of me all the time. As long as the urates are white then don't worry about it.

i've heard that veileds dont really like misting that much, how are you misting him? i would recommend warm water with very little pressure, start on one side (opposite of him) slowly work your way towards him. never spray him directly to start. work him into it. my panther dosent enjoy it at first either but after a minute or two he'll start drinking and walking around in it:

yes alot of chams don't drink in front of people for whatever reason! Mine used to never, now he drink in front of me all the time.

My cat never drinks in front of me for some reason. Its like its embarrassing to her for some reason he he. I'm interested to see if my cham will be the same :)

my dads old cat used to sit at the side of the kitchen sink and wait for someone to turn the tap on and drink from the runing water out of the tap

my dads old cat used to sit at the side of the kitchen sink and wait for someone to turn the tap on and drink from the runing water out of the tap

Our current cat does this. We have weird cats. Our other cat taught herself to use the toilet. It is disquieting to walk down the hall, hear someone tinkling in the bathroom, wonder why they didn't close the door, and the see the frick'n cat hovering over the toilet doing her business! :eek:

Mine too...

My female veiled also hates when I try to mist. I never spray her directly but I do spray around her and she runs away from it. I just purchased and set up a Mist King (awesome system BTW), but I watched it run this morning for the first time and she was not pleased when it actually sprayed and I didn't actually see her drink...although, it makes such a fine mist that a lot of water just sits for a long time on the leaves and branches in the cage so hopefully she went for it after I left the room. I always had luck and actually observed my girl drinking from the Little Dripper that came with her when I first got her, but I absolutely hated that thing because it always ended up flooding her cage at some point in the day. I removed the Little Dripper and am now solely relying on the Mist King, although if I get worried about her not drinking in the next day or two, I may just put it back in as a form of backup. Also, my girl always eats some of her veggies that she gets daily (I have actually seen her eating from her cup!) and I always spray those heavily with water so I know that she is at least getting some of her water needs from them. Good luck!

My female veiled also hates when I try to mist. I never spray her directly but I do spray around her and she runs away from it. I just purchased and set up a Mist King (awesome system BTW), but I watched it run this morning for the first time and she was not pleased when it actually sprayed and I didn't actually see her drink...although, it makes such a fine mist that a lot of water just sits for a long time on the leaves and branches in the cage so hopefully she went for it after I left the room. I always had luck and actually observed my girl drinking from the Little Dripper that came with her when I first got her, but I absolutely hated that thing because it always ended up flooding her cage at some point in the day. I removed the Little Dripper and am now solely relying on the Mist King, although if I get worried about her not drinking in the next day or two, I may just put it back in as a form of backup. Also, my girl always eats some of her veggies that she gets daily (I have actually seen her eating from her cup!) and I always spray those heavily with water so I know that she is at least getting some of her water needs from them. Good luck!

My veil hates the mister too and sits in a top corner where the mist king doesn't hit. I'm gonna go out an a limb and say that most veils don't like it because they are from drier climates.

My jackson's on the other hand loves the mist. He'll just sit in it and shut his eyes while it goes off and then opens them up right after like nothing happened.

I'm not sure about my panther. He doesn't like my presence at all so he's always in a corner when I'm in the room, so I never observe him getting misted on.

I like the rain maker idea. In his old small enclosure he knew right where to go to drink from the dripper. I moved him to a larger enclosure and he doesn't seem to drink anymore. His feces looks normal so maybe he is drinking but I'm not seeing it.

My panther did the same thing. I used to be able to move it if I needed to but he always found it. After the last time when I rearranged his cage (his plant died) he never did figure it out. He would see it dripping on a leaf, he would lick his lips, but never drank from it. I was hoping he was just drinking while I was gone since his dripper runs all day, but he actually got pretty dehydrated recently. I put him in the shower a few times to rehydrate him and moved his dripper to another plant and now all of a sudden he's back to drinking from it regularly. I guess he just didn't like where it was!

I have an automated misting system and it is by far the best investment I made. My guys never got use to me misting them but are ok with the automated system. I'm not crazy about the rain systems because of the sheer volume of water placed in the cage. I just can't see how it could dry out and I don't want to mess with a drain system. Just a thought, I mist 4x a day 2 minutes each time and run through 2 gallons every 2 weeks.

Misting with warm water is not only a good way to hydrate your cham but it also gives the animal an oppurtunity to flush its eyes. Thats one reason I believe in misting my animals at least 3x daily. Some chams just wont drink from a dripper either. Ive had some that would only drink after mistings.

Misting with warm water is not only a good way to hydrate your cham but it also gives the animal an oppurtunity to flush its eyes. Thats one reason I believe in misting my animals at least 3x daily. Some chams just wont drink from a dripper either. Ive had some that would only drink after mistings.

I agree. One of mine loved when i sprayed her. She would start drinking as soon as i started to spray. But some run from it also so there are al
Lternatives. I wanna get a rain system. However i would continue to spray just not as often.

Back
Top Bottom