Misting time

JustJay

How early do you guys mist cham? Like should I mist as soon as I turn on lights or should I wait a while?

my timer for the mister goes off for the first time one hour after lights come on which is about 30 min after the sun is up. gives the Viv time to warm up so they don't get hit with a cold shower as soon as their eyes open

I like to give my cham more than an hour before before I turn the misters on. I have the lights turn on, feed him, and then have the misters turn on maybe an hour after that. I wild feed my cham and want to make sure he has enough time to hunt and eat the bugs before the mister comes on and makes the bugs all fall to the bottom of the cage.

I mist an hour or so after lights on then feed after so I don't have to worry about the dust coming off. The third or whatever misting I give an hour or so more close to the so, before lights out because I noticed little boy gets thirsty before bed time. But sometimes he's just looks at me like "geeze now I'm all wet jerk" so hit and miss.

How early do you guys mist cham? Like should I mist as soon as I turn on lights or should I wait a while?

I wait a while then spray down his leaves before i have to leave for school (or work depending on your age etc.)

I usually turn on his lights and after ten-twenty minutes i do a full soak down of his leaves and plants before i have to leave. I know some people wait an hour, but i havent had any problems with doing it like five-ten minutes after and my chameleon is in a good healthy condition. Honestly, I dont think it matters as long as you make sure you do a good job at spraying down your cham's leaves well a couple times a day :)

I oberseved my animals carefully and adjusted the schedule to simulate nature ( in some ways, though not really close ), maintain humidity, and most importantly, concentrate the misting to where they are most likely to drink. My male drinks best if I catch him in the evening I'm his roost, which he usually goes to long before lights are to be out. I mist them most heavily during these times and have shorter mistings a few times a day to maintain humidity and freshen the air. I also don't mist every day for long periods, preferring to mist 3-4 times a week for 20-45 mins sessions once or twice a day and allowing the enclosure to dry for a day or two in between. There are still 3 short mistings every day, but they do just fine without being drenched daily. In the wettest of rainforest, there are still days without rain. When it does rain, it for a long spell, this is a far cry from the misting schedules most people use of several short mistings everyday. Some chameleons drink right away, others don't start eye cleaning and drinking until the mist has been running for several minutes.....it's important to know your animals and less important to stick to rules and schedules.

Back
Top Bottom