misting systems?

Melma

How do these work?

I am currently spraying the cage 3 times a day and it seems like they are always dying for a drink of water whenever i mist. You have to remember I have Mellers and they need a lot of water. The humidity is always high, usually around 85% because I live in Miami(high humidity), the plants hold in alot of humidity, and the plastic on the bottom always has some water from the last spray.

But i need something that can keep their thirst satisfied without me having to be a slave. What do you recommend?

I use a dripper system that I put together with stuff from Home Depot:
Rubbermaid tub
aquarium heater
fountain pump (make sure you get one strong enough to pump the water up high enough)
1/2" tubing (connects to pump)
1/2" to 1/4" reducer (look around the fittings section at homedepot sometimes they have one or you can get a few different brass pieces that screw together)
zip-ties
1/4" tubing
1/4" T-barbs (found by sprinkler heads at HD)
1/4" adjustable dripper head (found by sprinkler heads at HD)
Timer (already had)

I have ~8 dripper heads and it basically rains in the cage 4 times a day for 15-30 minutes each session.

But it sounds like you don't have a drainage system in place and my dripper puts quite a bit of water through the cage. IMHO too much unless you have drainage. I use an 18 gallon tub for a drainage reservoir and empty it every three days when it has <6 gallons, so <2 gallons a day from 2 mistings and 4 dripper sessions. Remember a dripper doesn't replace misting.

A good misting system is a investment. I'm buying a Mistking this weekend and will use it in conjunction with the dripper system. Just gonna cut the dripper heads back to like 4 or 5.

It sound like you answered your own question, since you mist 3 times a day and they are drinking whey you mist.
And Misting systems just automate this for you....very convinient when you are stuck long hours at work or go away for the weekend.
I would just add a drainage system, like a hole in the bottom of the cage or placing a cage in a tray (similar to the tray under a dish rack). That way the water has somewhere to go.

Last edited:
I use a mist king, it works great. Took like 15-20 mins to hook up, its silent, you can turn anything into a water reservoir, and you can get a timer from the mist king web site that will allow you choose as many cycles and the amount of time it runs for each cycle. Best of all, you wont be a slave anymore and you chams will stay well hydrated. I also think it it great for reducing stress, there is nothing my chameleon hated more than when i had to get right up next to his cage and hang my hand over it for a misting.

I do agree, you should definitely get a drain for your cage. It is great when you dont have to sop up water everyday.

I use a dripper system that I put together with stuff from Home Depot:
Rubbermaid tub
aquarium heater
fountain pump (make sure you get one strong enough to pump the water up high enough)
1/2" tubing (connects to pump)
1/2" to 1/4" reducer (look around the fittings section at homedepot sometimes they have one or you can get a few different brass pieces that screw together)
zip-ties
1/4" tubing
1/4" T-barbs (found by sprinkler heads at HD)
1/4" adjustable dripper head (found by sprinkler heads at HD)
Timer (already had)

I have ~8 dripper heads and it basically rains in the cage 4 times a day for 15-30 minutes each session.

But it sounds like you don't have a drainage system in place and my dripper puts quite a bit of water through the cage. IMHO too much unless you have drainage. I use an 18 gallon tub for a drainage reservoir and empty it every three days when it has <6 gallons, so <2 gallons a day from 2 mistings and 4 dripper sessions. Remember a dripper doesn't replace misting.

A good misting system is a investment. I'm buying a Mistking this weekend and will use it in conjunction with the dripper system. Just gonna cut the dripper heads back to like 4 or 5.

I think al's got the answer for you...if your short on cash...
There are many members who are very successful using this method.

OPI

I just improvised a little dripping system using water bottles just in case they get extremely thirsty between sprayings.

I am just figuring this chameleon thing out, so I will be investing on things as i go along. I have already spent about $500 and I only have been in this beautiful mess for 5 days! lol. But its been a joy to see them react to every single improvement as we go along.

Thanks guys for all the help.

I am just figuring this chameleon thing out, so I will be investing on things as i go along. I have already spent about $500 and I only have been in this beautiful mess for 5 days! lol.

Wait until you convince yourself to breed feeders to save money....LOL

I use a spray bottle about 3 times a day. My problem is that he seems scared of it!! I have it set to mist and I don't spray it right at him. But when I start spraying, he doesn't coming running for water, he goes fleeing to a higher spot as if to escape it. He will drink from the dripper and the leaves but i want to spray as much as possible because my ambient humidity in the cage is only getting to 40-50%, even with a live plants, a dripper, and a humidifier near the enclosure running 24/7.

I use a spray bottle about 3 times a day. My problem is that he seems scared of it!! I have it set to mist and I don't spray it right at him. But when I start spraying, he doesn't coming running for water, he goes fleeing to a higher spot as if to escape it. He will drink from the dripper and the leaves but i want to spray as much as possible because my ambient humidity in the cage is only getting to 40-50%, even with a live plants, a dripper, and a humidifier near the enclosure running 24/7.

Try using HOT water in the spray bottle. It will come out warm and he'll want to drink from it and might not mind the warm 'shower' of mist. Warm water helps stimulate them to drink... might be why he prefers the drip because it is room temp?

Scott you should come to our meeting next week... SBCK meeting

Try using HOT water in the spray bottle. It will come out warm and he'll want to drink from it and might not mind the warm 'shower' of mist. Warm water helps stimulate them to drink... might be why he prefers the drip because it is room temp?

Scott you should come to our meeting next week... SBCK meeting

Thanks summoner12, I will try that. I'd really like to make it to that meeting. I bet I could really learn a lot. I'll post to that thread if I can make it.

Back
Top Bottom