misting systems - please help

Getting your own reservoir has multiple purposes. One, it keeps shipping cost down as you don't have to pay for shipping a large container. Two, it allows the user to pick how big a reservoir they want. So really, it's not a downside, but an upside to get your own reservoir :D

exactly !!!! MISTKING IS DA SHIZNIT!!!!:cool::cool:;)

I don't keep my lizards in my living room, but I use patio misting systems and daisy chain them and connect them to my tap and stick a $25 water timer on it so it goes off 2x a day for 20 minutes. System came with 20 heads and 40 or 50' of tubing for $40 e-bay. I got another system with smaller tubing and cheaper heads (10 of them) on clearance for $3.50 at the end of one summer at walmart.

These have worked great for me for years.

Prior to using this system, I made my own. I mean the systems off e-bay are almost like homemade- parts in a box, but I really made my own from scratch prior to this.

I got new nozzles designed to use in an oil furnace. Nozzles cost a few dollars each. Belt clamped them to tubing from lowe's, and belt clamped the tubing to pvc. These made gorgeous ultra-fine mist- almost like rolling clouds of fog rather than mist, and the chams loved it. But was more work putting up and taking down when the seasons changed and I moved everything outside and inside.

Love my MistKing, have had it for well oveer a year. Always works like clock work and, Marty has always provided wondful service. :D

no timer

Why get it without a timer? Automating your misting schedule is one of the main reasons you get a misting system. Might as well stick to a hand pump system if you want to be there all the time to shut the misting system on and off every single time.

I'm going to be getting a control unit from digital aquatics that is for reptiles. It does absolutely everything, so no timer required. :) If you have not seen the herpkeeper unit you should take a look. Don't know how this forum is about posting other websites so all I'll say is check out digital aquatics dot com for more info.

parts

I don't keep my lizards in my living room, but I use patio misting systems and daisy chain them and connect them to my tap and stick a $25 water timer on it so it goes off 2x a day for 20 minutes. System came with 20 heads and 40 or 50' of tubing for $40 e-bay. I got another system with smaller tubing and cheaper heads (10 of them) on clearance for $3.50 at the end of one summer at walmart.

These have worked great for me for years.

Prior to using this system, I made my own. I mean the systems off e-bay are almost like homemade- parts in a box, but I really made my own from scratch prior to this.

I got new nozzles designed to use in an oil furnace. Nozzles cost a few dollars each. Belt clamped them to tubing from lowe's, and belt clamped the tubing to pvc. These made gorgeous ultra-fine mist- almost like rolling clouds of fog rather than mist, and the chams loved it. But was more work putting up and taking down when the seasons changed and I moved everything outside and inside.

Now your answer has me the most interested by far. I'm new to this forum, but if it is possible can you private message me info on what pump you are using? Is it capable of running dry? You did what I wanted to do, create my own system. Like you said if you hve any type of skills, you can create one for very cheap.

PM me if you like.

I don't use a pump- I use a faucet connection and just leave the faucet on. The timer shuts the water off and on at the faucet. So, no pump necessary.

Like I said though- it isn't in my living room, so it's no big deal connecting a hose that is safe to drink from to the faucet. You can purchase such hoses at walmart- says on the label that it is safe for drinking water.

edit- I should also say for my pvc system I found adaptors for the pvc that worked perfectly- connectors for the hosing from faucet to system and t-connectors with a screw in hole that I could screw pvc "nipples" in that the hosing then slid over, was belt-clamped to, then at the other end of the hose the mist nozzle could be belt-clamped into the hose.

Last edited:
system

PM me if you like.

I don't use a pump- I use a faucet connection and just leave the faucet on. The timer shuts the water off and on at the faucet. So, no pump necessary.

Like I said though- it isn't in my living room, so it's no big deal connecting a hose that is safe to drink from to the faucet. You can purchase such hoses at walmart- says on the label that it is safe for drinking water.

edit- I should also say for my pvc system I found adaptors for the pvc that worked perfectly- connectors for the hosing from faucet to system and t-connectors with a screw in hole that I could screw pvc "nipples" in that the hosing then slid over, was belt-clamped to, then at the other end of the hose the mist nozzle could be belt-clamped into the hose.

Your system sounds more and more like what I want to do. I'm going to be using a line that used to go to a swamp cooler so I can run it directly to my pump. I hadn't thought of running a timer at the faucet. So you get enough pressure from the faucet to run your misters? What type of timer are you using on the faucett? I'd like to use stuff that has been tried by people on here rather than just going out and picking one and having it fail on me.

Your system sounds more and more like what I want to do. I'm going to be using a line that used to go to a swamp cooler so I can run it directly to my pump. I hadn't thought of running a timer at the faucet. So you get enough pressure from the faucet to run your misters? What type of timer are you using on the faucett? I'd like to use stuff that has been tried by people on here rather than just going out and picking one and having it fail on me.

I sell all the components you need, if you'd like to email me feel free: [email protected]. Or you can pm me. I sell solenoid valves and the sink connection fittings with quick connect fittings.

Yes- I use a timer of the sort that you can buy at lowes /home depot for your garden hose. Digital. I've had 2- had to replace the first a few years ago. It was a better timer because I could be more specific about time duration and do as many on/offs as I like, but for my purposes the one I have now works just great as well- indoors I only need 2 x 20 minute mistings per day. Outdoors I run several hours in the heat of the summer, depending on month and season- my misters are used to keep cages cool on hot summer days, but always part of the cage is dry in the shade as well as the sun so the lizards don't have to soak constantly when the misters are on.

I still have chunks of the old misting system lying around. I'll see if I can dig some up and get a picture taken in the next day or two so you can see how I put it together...

Oh- and yes- the water pressure in my home works great even for this system which puts out an ultra fine mist. I used to live in town and it worked great there. 10 years ago I moved out into the county and have a well and a relatively low pressure water system for my home and property (my pressure tank psi reads 50, I think most city systems read around 70-75, so I don't have a lot of pressure out here- yet the misting systems work great).

I had a schefflera in there, and I was told it was poisonous by someone on this forum. So apparently there is more than one variety. I'm so NOT a plant person. I replaced the live plants with silk, but now I'm thinking he needs the humidity that a live plant provides. I know he really liked another one that had flowers -- I can't remember the name now -- -- but he ate the flowers occasionally. That's the only plant he's ever been interested in.

I am thinking of getting the basic Mistking mister that is $99. Do I need the extra stuff too in order to attach it to my cage? I don't have an image in my mind of how this piece of equipment will work in my cage. I feel so dumb sometimes. It would help so much if I had someone nearby who knows about veiled chameleons and could show me their set up. It's hard to see the photos on the Mistking website.

Thanks for your help. Little by little I may get this right!

Mom

Back
Top Bottom