Misting System - What Type of Pump?

sarrobi

I've been thinking about creating an automatic misting system for my chameleon's enclosure. I already have some misting nozzles and tubing. Does anyone know if a pump needs to have a minimum psi to actually create a mist? Can anyone recommend one that is not terribly expensive and that has worked well for them? Thanks.

I think it actually takes about 30-40psi or so to operate one nozzle.. but the trick is you need a diaphragm pump that can run dry to avoid burning your house down.. those aren't cheap. No standard aquarium pump is going to do the job. Mistking works out to cheaper than hunting down all the parts yourself and shipping them separately.

Seriously spend the $$ on a MistKing, you'll thank yourself down the road. My attempt a my own mister turned into a dripper system lol... I love my MistKing and it's worth every cent!

I'm currently using a pond pump rated at 325gph. It's running 2 nozzles into 2 cages (1 per cage). I used the misting heads you can find at Lowes. It's not a fine mist, but does the job at getting the plant leaves dripping. I have it set to run for a minute at time using a basic digital timer. The only reason I set this up as I had the extra pump and the timer so I only had to pick up a few adapters, some tubing, and the misting heads. It works great supplementing daily hand misting.

I made my own system using a 12VDC RV water pump. Worked great... but like chequepoint said... hunting down all the parts adds up. If you have stuff laying around, sure make your own system like Weekendherper. BUT if I am not mistaken Marty's basic system is right around $100 bucks.... that comes with exactly what you need to get started (except maybe the timer and bucket).

Thanks for the info! I've already got the tubes and misting nozzles, so I was hoping to just pick up a pump. I may go with a Mist King system down the line, but I think I might be able to find a pump for cheaper. I've got just one vivarium, so I don't need anything elaborate.

well you're then looking for a pump with strong head pressure, high psi. Gallons per hour measurements will be worthless to you. Suitable pumps will probably be found in RV water supply applications, etc. Diaphram pumps are preferred. You'll want something that can run for more than a few minutes at a time, and that can run dry.. because eventually you'll screw up. :D

Thanks for the info! I've already got the tubes and misting nozzles, so I was hoping to just pick up a pump. I may go with a Mist King system down the line, but I think I might be able to find a pump for cheaper. I've got just one vivarium, so I don't need anything elaborate.

Just like Chequepoint is saying.... you need PSI, not flow. The RV pump only worked for me because I ran an accumulator. This would fill up, pump would turn off, then once it was empty the pump would recharge it. If you run just an RV pump it'll be on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off........ and isn't good for the pump or the pressure switch. Those two items cost just about as much as the pump from Mist King. The advantage to Marty's pump is that it can drive a lot of nozzles once you decide to expand. If you only plan to have one cage for a long time... Try building the DIY pump I have a link to in my Signature. That thing is great for a single cage application. Might even cost you less if you have some of the parts already... like nozzles.

Back
Top Bottom