Misting System + Fogger just turned on middle of the day(!!)

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have no idea what the heck just happened but for some reason his mister and fogger just randomly turned on!! The app was a little bugged out when I tried to open it to shut them off. It's 3pm and his cage is SOAKED :( -the misterlooks like it was on (based on my power log) for about 4 minutes. Same with the fogger-

How much should I worry here? Spike retreated to the lower portions of the enclosure to get away from the misting.

I shut it off as soon as I could. It looks like there's a portion soaked, but some of the outer portions are still dry. I am super worried about him getting sick. Should I be??? Is there anything I should do when I get home? (I will be home in about 1 hr 45m ). ugh I really hope this doesn't cause him to get sick :(

1692644697985.png

1692644715596.png

Last edited:
I've never had an issue like this before. This is so weird. From now on I am unplugging the mister and the fogger until It's near time for them to come on

He will be fine... It is one time and not a big deal. illness comes with prolonged incorrect husbandry not an oops with your timing system once.

How are your fogger and misting system controlled?

He will be fine... It is one time and not a big deal. illness comes with prolonged incorrect husbandry not an oops with your timing system once.

How are your fogger and misting system controlled?
phew ok.... they're controlled with wifi outlets that allowed me to program specific times for them to shut on and off. They've been very reliable. I haven't had ANY issues until today. So I am not really sure what caused this. but I am determined to never let it happen again. In the morning I am just gonna flat out unlug the mister and the fogger and I'll just plug them in before its time for them to come on at night.

phew ok.... they're controlled with wifi outlets that allowed me to program specific times for them to shut on and off. They've been very reliable. I haven't had ANY issues until today. So I am not really sure what caused this. but I am determined to never let it happen again. In the morning I am just gonna flat out unlug the mister and the fogger and I'll just plug them in before its time for them to come on at night.
Do you have a mistking?

Could you have had a power surge?

Do you have a mistking?

Could you have had a power surge?
I do not have a mistking. I have the Reptizoo 4L. There should not have been a power surge because my cameras were not interrupted. But I guess that is possible. I do keep him on my screen almost the entire time I am at work but sometimes of course I'm doing something and don't see. The cameras were acting weird earlier today losing connection, but that was much earlier. I think the surge is possible, but I think something with the connection went weird and just caused it to lose control.

It happened to both the mister AND the fogger. Both are controlled by the same, but separate devices.

I do not have a mistking. I have the Reptizoo 4L. There should not have been a power surge because my cameras were not interrupted. But I guess that is possible. I do keep him on my screen almost the entire time I am at work but sometimes of course I'm doing something and don't see. The cameras were acting weird earlier today losing connection, but that was much earlier. I think the surge is possible, but I think something with the connection went weird and just caused it to lose control.

It happened to both the mister AND the fogger. Both are controlled by the same, but separate devices.
So odd and you checked the settings and they were not set to go off?

So odd and you checked the settings and they were not set to go off?
correct! I checked just to make sure something like that didn't happen. I'm the only one who even has access to that. So its not like someone could be playing with it. I really think it had something to do with the app.

Maybe an update pushed through or something. Because when I tried to turn them off it didnt recognize the devices for a short moment. Which was scary. I was a fraction of a second from driving home and pulling the plugs... ugh

Ok great news! There was a power surge. Someone hit a telephone pole by my house. When I got home they actually shut off the electricity entirely but it's already back up. Good thing it happened late in the day. Spike is just chilling near his usual resting spot 🥰

I also noticed when our power turned back on it sets the plugs to ON and off course turned everything on again. But I was literally in front of the cage when it happened so I was able to get that situated immediately. That's why they came on though. Power went out and back on.

From now on I'll just turn the mister and fogger off during the day by their own dials so this never happens again.

What brand smart plugs are you using?

Lyntile. But please keep in mind I DID have a power surge and saw why they turned on first hand when I got home. These plugs have been flawless until today and I can't blame them for this.

I think this would likely happen to any wifi plugs. Definitely a downfall for wifi plugs though in general compared to the manual timers....which would also he messed up big time from no electricity for an extended period of time. So positives and negatives for each. I swapped out manual timers for these and these are better IMO. Unless you always get surges. I don't usually.

Ok great news! There was a power surge. Someone hit a telephone pole by my house. When I got home they actually shut off the electricity entirely but it's already back up. Good thing it happened late in the day. Spike is just chilling near his usual resting spot 🥰

I also noticed when our power turned back on it sets the plugs to ON and off course turned everything on again. But I was literally in front of the cage when it happened so I was able to get that situated immediately. That's why they came on though. Power went out and back on.

From now on I'll just turn the mister and fogger off during the day by their own dials so this never happens again.
Make sure you have them plugged into a really good surge protector as well. I deal with this with my mistking though it will reset the main time on it. Not all my settings though. So I have to go in and reset the actual time of day so they go off at the right time. I have not had an issue with my wifi plugs though.

Make sure you have them plugged into a really good surge protector as well. I deal with this with my mistking though it will reset the main time on it. Not all my settings though. So I have to go in and reset the actual time of day so they go off at the right time. I have not had an issue with my wifi plugs though.
Yep I keep all my stuff in general on surge protectors! Always. As always, thank you for everything <3 I almost had a damn heart attack today lmao

Back
Top Bottom