Misting schedule vs. Rain Dome/Dripper

timber64

I'm putting together my first large enclosure (DS 2X2X4) and will be using an existing Monsoon Solo2 mister (at least until I can justify an upgrade to Mistking!!). I also want to include a drinking source perhaps by using the Mistking rain dome. But I feel like the schedule for misting should be different than drinking water and so I'm curious how others handle this. Are you setting up a completely separate misting system for the rain dome? I've seen posts that talk about creating an automatic drinking system by using a small fountain pump in a bucket of water. Would something like this work for a rain dome or only a drip nozzle?

Also, if anyone recommends just combining misting with drinking, I already have a T connector on my Monsoon...could I swap one mist head for the rain dome? Is Monsoon Solo2 powerful enough for this (the equipment will sit under the cage and have to get pumped up to the top of the 4' enclosure.

I'm putting together my first large enclosure (DS 2X2X4) and will be using an existing Monsoon Solo2 mister (at least until I can justify an upgrade to Mistking!!). I also want to include a drinking source perhaps by using the Mistking rain dome. But I feel like the schedule for misting should be different than drinking water and so I'm curious how others handle this. Are you setting up a completely separate misting system for the rain dome?
No reason the mister cannot be the drinking source; AFAIK, most are. While some like/use drippers, I haven't found one necessary. Chameleons drink the droplets off of leaves, so it's all the same. I do think It's important that all plants be live. Live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

I'm aware of the rain dome concept, but no feelings either way. It seems to me like a gimmick more for keepers than for the cams, but many of us do things more for us than them.

I know you said fountain pump, but FWIW, fountains are a definite, "Nuh-uh," for chameleon enclosures—breeding ground for all kinds of nasties.

Also, if anyone recommends just combining misting with drinking, I already have a T connector on my Monsoon...could I swap one mist head for the rain dome? Is Monsoon Solo2 powerful enough for this (the equipment will sit under the cage and have to get pumped up to the top of the 4' enclosure.
No reason the mister cannot be the drinking source; AFAIK, most are. Chameleons drink the droplets off of leaves, so it's all the same.

Now, a fogger for nighttime humidity is a different issue. If you can't achieve & maintain recommended nighttime humidity, a fogger can help that.

I just have my mister set up to mist at lights-on (6am), noon, lights-off (6pm), and at 9pm, midnight, and 3pm. So far, this is doing the trick.

To establish the most efficient duration, I turned the mister on manually when the enclosure was completely dry. When water began to drain down into the drainage bucket, I turned it off. This took 2 min.

IMO running a mister any longer than it takes to begin running off is just wasting expensive distilled or RO water. Can't see any point. ;)

Any misting pump should be powerful enough to reach the top of the enclosure—sitting on a table or stand—from the floor. I don't have experience with the Monsoon, so I can't address that.

Hope this helps.

Monsoon works great for the watering ( not sure what you mean by misting, do you mean nighttime fogging?) You need two of the corner connectors so you can put nozzles through the screen.

I do about 3 mins just before lights in am and about 5 just before lights out, that is when he really drinks.

I use the remote and it works great.

Thanks! I have both a fogger (Reptizoo) and a mister (Monsoon SoloII), both on timers and in the new enclosure will be following the schedule I learned from Chameleon Academy to replicate the natural daily cycle of overnight fog and rain and afternoon rain shower. I was really just trying to understand how many people rely solely on the misting of live plants to provide enough drinking opportunities for their Cham, or if they supplement with a dripper (nobody seems to like the Little Dripper). I think I'll just monitor and see if the misting/rain schedule I set up is adequate to provide him with enough drinking opportunities and if not, either increase the rain events or add a dripper.

You are not going to get the precise timing with a monsoon. Might be better to rig this one as the dripper since the duration is limited along with the scheduling and get the mistking so you can actually pick the exact time and length of each misting session.

I ran a dripper and honestly they never used it. If your fogging at night and providing a long misting early morning and evening then that will do what you need it to do. You can always use a solo cup with a pin hole in the bottom to add a dripper mid day if urates are showing dehydration.

I have done a pump for an auto dripper... The biggest issue was the pump puts off heat into the water. Grows nasty stuff so you have to be meticulous about breaking everything down weekly and cleaning all the pieces including the reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom