Misting schedule for male veiled cham

gideonus

A while ago I read a post that recommended a certain schedule of misting 3 times a day, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone chime in on the best schedule to set my new MistKing misting timer to for a 3-4 month old male veiled, and if the schedule should change over time, and of course, recommended duration. I just set up my habitat and will hopefully find the male veiled juvey I'm looking for at tomorrow's Cow Palace Herp Show in San Fran.

I run my mistking on a full 8 cycles everyday. I have it start once I turn on the chameleons cage lighting and from then on it mists about every hour for several minutes. This keeps the humidity at a solid 70-80 degrees and it provides the cham with plenty of water.

A while ago I read a post that recommended a certain schedule of misting 3 times a day, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone chime in on the best schedule to set my new MistKing misting timer to for a 3-4 month old male veiled, and if the schedule should change over time, and of course, recommended duration. I just set up my habitat and will hopefully find the male veiled juvey I'm looking for at tomorrow's Cow Palace Herp Show in San Fran.

My veileds which are in good hydration both get 2-3 mistings a day for 15 minute sessions. when i dont run my dripper, or forget to fill it i mist 3 sessions, but i also run a gladeware tub like meat comes in, and have it between 1-2 drips per second, and it lasts all day

Lights on
12:00
Mist cycle 1
1:45-2:00
Mist cycle 2
8:45-9:00
Lights off
12:00

(Dripper)
from normally 12:30-1:00 to after lights out unless i turn the drip valve

My mister runs for something like:

Lights on at 7AM:
Mister from 7:55-8:00AM
Mister from 10:30-10:32AM
Mister from 12:55 - 1:00PM
Mister from 3:30-3:32PM
Mister from 5:55 -6:00PM
Lights off at 7PM

its mostly important to get a nice long like 10 minute at least, sometimes they will sit there confused for 5 minutes, then go on a slurpin' leaf rampage for the next 5

Every animal is different. A misting system is very un-natural, as is a cage.

I found that when I misted 3 times a day, my cham didn't drink enough, and his urates maintained a slight orange tinge. At 5 times a day, his urates are snow white.

It works for my guy. Mine is a Panther, not a Veiled. I've also noticed that he prefers to wait for the misting to stop, then go lick the leaves. If I misted for 10 minutes, I'd just be flushing water down the drain. My female panther drinks practically directly from the nozzle, is tuned into the schedule and waits for it. Its about observing your animals, and trying to work out a way to meet their needs while maintaining your sanity in the process.

I suppose if I wanted to be more natural, I could engineer a rig that controlled a series of misters and drippers based on a computer generated model that received current weather updates from the appropriate region of madagascar. I know people that do these kinds of things for their fish tanks, controlling the lighting intensity, duration, and wave patterns of their tank based on the weather cycles of the reef they are attempting to emulate. Everyone has a line, mine is somewhere between healthy animal, and OCD.

Madagascar and the Jemen aren't the same.....

No, but both chameleons are kept in the US, his husbandry will reflect the local climate effects /and demands of both.

It likely dosent rain so often in the waddi's of Yemen, but if it keeps the cham inclined to drink and stay hydrated and has no negative effect (stress) then no problem, ja. :)

We do our best to balance the chameleons enviroment with its wild state where possible, but on the otherside, we must take into account local enviroment. For you its 'not so tropical' in winter, so you must house them inside then because its not as cold in their wild habitat. :)

I personally prefer my dripper running all day, this way no opportunity is denied it to drink, I only mist once in a while, perhaps twice daily while shedding. My humidity is fine, and the cham will shed in its own time, but I like to ensure no issues. Is this really nessesary, or is it the kind of cottonwool treatment I speak of? Each to his own :)

That's very unnatural for calyptratus, to mist more than 2-3 times per day

I totally agree. I water twice daily and everone is plenty hydrated-and I hand mist, but at least that way I know how much everyone is drinking. If I had (and will soon) a misting system I would have it run 3X daily-once about 1/2 hour after the lights come on, which for me is 7:30 for 5 minutes, then something like noon for 5 minutes, and then at 5 for 10 minutes. Also keep in mind that I live in Florida where the humidity is high and water does not dry up in 30 seconds. I also know the drinking habits of all of my animals. Some are leaf lickers, and others are so spoiled that I must mist directly into their mouths.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom