Misting for what?

I have an almost 4 month old Veiled called "Smarti" and I am well informed and its not my first, still i wonder about misting... Does anyone know if it serves any other goal than triggering the drinking response?

I have a Rock fountain in the cage and Smartie has no prob drinking from that, he's very healthy. We have great weather in SA and I put him outside all day 5 times a week in his cage, where he can go in the sun and shade freely. Once a week I put him in his Olive tree outside(planted for him) and spay him with fine mist.

Should I go buy a mist maker for his cage even though he drinks just fine from his fountain? I want to give him the best so if he needs something i'll buy it for him.

( If you don't know STFU and move on )

Part of our response to your "style" is because we don't know you yet...until we learn to appreciate and understand your sense of humor it can come across as arrogance or hostility. I know it surprised me and I usually don't react to stuff like this. Everyone has their quirks but print is so limited it is easy to misunderstand.

I try to give them a habitat that offers as much of their wild climate patterns as possible. Chams live exposed to mist and rain, a world full of hanging water curtains, shiny droplets etc. Personally I love watching them shoot at droplets, roam around "grazing" the water off their plants, rinsing their eyes, etc. Misting their cages does all this, the misting itself and the evaporation also scrubs the air too. Just seems more of a natural way for them to hydrate themselves.

Last edited:
Thanks carlton, I've learned so much from this forum in the few days I've been a member(a very active one at that) I'll try not to be too harsh in the future. I'm getting really excited about the misting and new cage and everything, after the long weekend I am hopefully going to have him in a new home with everything he needs just right. I'll post some pics then. Just hope my online order doesn't take too long because of all the public holidays, The mister and some other things are supposed to be here Tuesday

Thanks carlton, I've learned so much from this forum in the few days I've been a member(a very active one at that) I'll try not to be too harsh in the future. I'm getting really excited about the misting and new cage and everything, after the long weekend I am hopefully going to have him in a new home with everything he needs just right. I'll post some pics then. Just hope my online order doesn't take too long because of all the public holidays, The mister and some other things are supposed to be here Tuesday

Have to admit your a funny guy. Wish more people could be straight to the point! I know your from SA but your humour sounds British i like that seeing as im English. :p

Have to admit your a funny guy. Wish more people could be straight to the point! I know your from SA but your humour sounds British i like that seeing as im English. :p Shall look forward to the pics oh and your baby cham pics are really cute!

Have to admit your a funny guy. Wish more people could be straight to the point! I know your from SA but your humour sounds British i like that seeing as im English. :p

Thats nice that you dont think I'm being an ass like most people, you must also be an ass.lol, Thanks glad you like my little one he is my pride and joy (so far)
I never thought of the nationality of my sense of humour but you certainly got me thinking, I would prefer it to be British over american any day(not that american is bad but these are the people who think I'm arrogant so don't think they would accept me or my SOH).

And lisa to you I would like to say that you are wrong but you are NOT wrong. I should have known what It does and if you read my post you would see that I actually know its main function just not all the creative and tear invoking details that it involves, and I probably need to add that I have owned 5 other chams here is the story behind them:

I grew up on a large farm with cattle(i didn't grow up with the cattle they were just also on the farm)Sheep, goats, pigs,chickens, ostriches, guinea pigs,ducks,a lama 17 dogs(most of the time)and maybe some things I forgot, ohh yes koi fish and some loud birds and also wild things on the farm such as Impala, kudu, warthog, and leopards and so on.

There was a peach tree outside, where there were many insects, and if I was walking in the bush and I saw a wild chameleon i would take it and put it in that peach tree where it would stay for sometimes months, if it went away it would come back and then finally when winter came it left, and the next spring I would find a new one and do the same. I was young and fed them anything they would normally catch themselves and handle them from time to time some got really friendly. But ok I dont know if that counts as having owned chams in the past, I certainly didn't mist them...ever, because they were adapted to a warm dry climate. We also had several indigenous turtles in the yard and some water turtles in the pond.

Please return for another episode of "who the fck does he think he is telling his life story" next week:rolleyes: Im kidding ofcourse theres no story next week....its every fortnight

Back
Top Bottom