Misting for what?

pieter089

I have an almost 4 month old Veiled called "Smarti" and I am well informed and its not my first, still i wonder about misting... Does anyone know if it serves any other goal than triggering the drinking response?

I have a Rock fountain in the cage and Smartie has no prob drinking from that, he's very healthy. We have great weather in SA and I put him outside all day 5 times a week in his cage, where he can go in the sun and shade freely. Once a week I put him in his Olive tree outside(planted for him) and spay him with fine mist.

Should I go buy a mist maker for his cage even though he drinks just fine from his fountain? I want to give him the best so if he needs something i'll buy it for him.

( If you don't know STFU and move on )

The reason you mist is because these animals drink from leaves on plants and trees to get water. they do not drink from standing water, like a bowl. Fountains are a bad idea because the animal might poop in it and then drink in the same water before you have a chance to clean it out.

Misting by hand or automatic misting systems like AquaZamp, are used because a spray is easy to generate. There is also the RainDome which simulates rain instead of a fine mist.

Get the foutain out ASAP. There is no need for it. It only brings bad news with it. Get a MistKing. They need "rain" as there water source. It will be very easy to take care of him with a MistKing. It does all the work for you.

Misting I find to be a lot cheaper and easier to do instead of a fountain...
I use a hand mister though...during summer my chameleons are outside most the time so I just use a hose to spray them all...during winter indoors I use a smaller hand mister...

Hows about some pics of your chameleon(s)

The reason you mist is because these animals drink from leaves on plants and trees to get water. they do not drink from standing water, like a bowl. Fountains are a bad idea because the animal might poop in it and then drink in the same water before you have a chance to clean it out.

Misting by hand or automatic misting systems like AquaZamp, are used because a spray is easy to generate. There is also the RainDome which simulates rain instead of a fine mist.

I get what you are saying, I really like the fountain though, and I did take his droppings into account and stationed it so that he can do no climbing above it, only way he can leave droppings in it would be for him to do it while drinking and that has never happened.

I've never seen him drinking from leaves while i'm misting him, you think maybe he has become accustomed to the fountain? If it's really better for him to drink from misting I'll get him a new cage with a mister.

I don't want to mist in his current cage because it was specially ordered and made from really nice dark wood.

Other things can get in the standing water besides the chameleon shit.
If you have any free ranging insects they can walk in droppings or die in the water thus contaminating the water supply. As far as misting,the chameleon needs it and you can seal up the nice wood.

Misting I find to be a lot cheaper and easier to do instead of a fountain...
I use a hand mister though...during summer my chameleons are outside most the time so I just use a hose to spray them all...during winter indoors I use a smaller hand mister...

Hows about some pics of your chameleon(s)

I have a few pix from when he was 7weeks old, my wife has our camera with her now at my mother in law's house, heres the old pix

Other things can get in the standing water besides the chameleon shit.
If you have any free ranging insects they can walk in droppings or die in the water thus contaminating the water supply. As far as misting,the chameleon needs it and you can seal up the nice wood.

Ok then, i get how important it is, the wood is sealed but still i'm going to have an aluminium one built. 2m(w)X2m(h)X1m(d) will do. Wanted one anyway, gonna mis the fountain though,haha
Thanx for the strict yet straight forward advice

Yeah we can be a little "to the point". But we are here to help. Once your on the forum for a while you wil understand why we are this way. The same questions get asked everyday.

Ok then, i get how important it is, the wood is sealed but still i'm going to have an aluminium one built. 2m(w)X2m(h)X1m(d) will do. Wanted one anyway, gonna mis the fountain though,haha
Thanx for the strict yet straight forward advice

Thanks!
Remember,we may love you, but we love your chameleon more.

:DDon't worry I'm not sensitive I appreciate you guys getting to the point and stressing the importance, I am certainly not too nice when giving my opinion...actually feel bad...ok i'm over it:cool:

I have an almost 4 month old Veiled called "Smarti" and I am well informed and its not my first, still i wonder about misting... Does anyone know if it serves any other goal than triggering the drinking response?

I have a Rock fountain in the cage and Smartie has no prob drinking from that, he's very healthy. We have great weather in SA and I put him outside all day 5 times a week in his cage, where he can go in the sun and shade freely. Once a week I put him in his Olive tree outside(planted for him) and spay him with fine mist.

Should I go buy a mist maker for his cage even though he drinks just fine from his fountain? I want to give him the best so if he needs something i'll buy it for him.

If you don't know STFU and move on QUOTE]

i'm all for being blunt and get straight to the point , bu that really isnt necessary man, you'll get what your looking for here on the forum without those comments

and if you want more straight to the point advice Chuck G is your guy:cool:

Ace, I've been reading other treads on the forum and that inspired me to add that last bit that is so offensive to you... MANY times there are people who know NOTHING (and are probably bored) that just give a random opinion that isn't worth a read and just wastes everyones time, I avoided that quite effectively here, and it wouldn't offend anyone who has a valid answer would it?

Several knowledgeable people replied and ignored it completely because it does not apply to them, you should have done the same.

Just to keep the peace I will refrain from posting in that fashion again and tolerate idiotic mumbling by some insanely stupid people, but I might be rude to them unintentionally upon them posting crap.

ohh and thanks for the advice about Chuck G

Ace, I've been reading other treads on the forum and that inspired me to add that last bit that is so offensive to you... MANY times there are people who know NOTHING (and are probably bored) that just give a random opinion that isn't worth a read and just wastes everyones time, I avoided that quite effectively here, and it wouldn't offend anyone who has a valid answer would it?

Several knowledgeable people replied and ignored it completely because it does not apply to them, you should have done the same.

Just to keep the peace I will refrain from posting in that fashion again and tolerate idiotic mumbling by some insanely stupid people, but I might be rude to them unintentionally upon them posting crap.

i never said it was offensive to me, lol...and you seemed prepared to be rather defensive to your claim about people

just know that this forum is not age limited, and kids are here too that are 12 years and older, some people forget that

and as a forum this place is rather nice than other forums

im not saying your wrong, their are people that just post for the hell of it, but it is a free "open discussion" forum afterall, and you are bound to deal with people one way or another...trust me it happens, but i gotta admit your approach was EFFECTIVE!!! haha

goodluck with the msiting and new cage

oh and your comment made me laugh not upset, but i do know quite a bit of people that can get all worked up by that:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Well so far Pieter, I LIKE your style! Welcome to forums by the way!!!!

regulates humidity too :D

There is a wonderful and varied set of behaviors that many species of chameleons exhibit when it "rains" in their environment. The duck and cover, the blinking, the eye washing rituals, the drinking, water beading and channeling around casques and crests, head down, head up, back arching, scratching with the hind leg, the rain coma, defecating, the relaxed patterns.... still discovering more. Misting events of longer than just a few minutes seem to trigger an array of little considered behaviors that are, almost certainly, important to the overall well-being of the animal. Rains in the areas chameleons originate from are, in many cases, great, saturating events; nature would surely put that time to good use. On the one end is enough water to survive, on the other end, a practically aquatic hydration event. The most successful keepers I know seem to take hydration very seriously. For that reason, I do too.

Hey thanks for the welcome guys... This approach of mine is getting me into trouble,lol, I might really have to soften up a bit some people get easily offended and then I cant help myself to torment them a little and sit and laugh in my seat.(BTW not in this tread, I KNOW RIGHT??? I'm new how have I gotten into trouble already:eek:)

Monzon thanks, your getting me all worked up about the new cage and misting.

The plans have changed already, I'm going for a huge wall-mounted cage for outside and smaller one inside, probably going to have them by the coming Monday...will post some pictures

Back
Top Bottom