misting etiquette

alil

Hello, I have had my 1st chameleon for going on 3 months and he is doing fine. I mist his cage a few times a day. I try not to spray him directly, but he tends to flash me some colors and puff up slightly before going into the leaves. Is there a polite way to mist his cage without angering him, or is it something hes just going to have to suck up and take.

Hello, I have had my 1st chameleon for going on 3 months and he is doing fine. I mist his cage a few times a day. I try not to spray him directly, but he tends to flash me some colors and puff up slightly before going into the leaves. Is there a polite way to mist his cage without angering him, or is it something hes just going to have to suck up and take.

It is important for your cham to get a "bath" when you're misting him so he can clean his eyes and it is also good for his skin. I find if the mist rains down from above, my guys tend to tolerate it better. Just make sure you're not spraying directly in his face :p However, some chams will never like it and some will either learn to tolerate it or even enjoy it. My 1 year old veiled HATED being misted (I've had him since he was 3 months old) and would run away also. But a few weeks ago his demeanor started to change and now he stays put and seems to at least tolerate it. I wouldn't say he's enjoying it, but he's getting better. :)

Cham #1 " Oh no the sky is falling quick drop to the bottom of the tank and run for your life" 30 sec after misting stops " sweet drinky water everywhere"

Cham #2 " Quick run under the mister, bath time only lasts a few min, get it while you can"

I have an automated MistKing and my cham HATED the mister when I first got it, now when it goes off he scurries to where it can fall directly on him. He does the eye bulge thing to clean out his eyes and I have even caught him opening his mouth to let the water come in while the mister is going. It is funny to watch.

I have an automated MistKing and my cham HATED the mister when I first got it, now when it goes off he scurries to where it can fall directly on him. He does the eye bulge thing to clean out his eyes and I have even caught him opening his mouth to let the water come in while the mister is going. It is funny to watch.

That is very cute.

My cham no longer really "hates" when I mist as long as I use hot water.

My little guy is fussy about being misted. He likes it, but only on his terms. :D

What has worked well for me is to use warm water, spray above and all around him so he knows it's coming, then slowly move up his body from tail to head. He fusses about a bit, like trying to decide between running and staying, before settling down and enjoying the shower. If after a minute or two, he isn't lifting his head up into the mist, I stop. It takes him a minute or two to decide if he likes it or not, though, and maybe another minute to start drinking, so be patient.

Do yourself a favor and get a hand-held pressure-sprayer if you haven't already :)

My water for my MistKing is warm water. I have a submersible aquarium heater in the water bucket so it is a constant warm temperature.

I'd have to agree with Video Master, warm water is usually much more tolerable. If you're using a spray bottle just fill it up with hot water. When you spray the water it atomizes and is luke warm. Just spray your arm first to make sure the water isn't hot.

Back
Top Bottom