misting early in the morning

Lenny

Hi again,

I've been refraining from misting Lenny before his lights come on in the morning (since we get up before him) because I assume that he might get cold or something, and that misting should only happen when there's a heat source. Am I wrong?

It would be practical if I could mist him before class so he could at least get a soak to start the day and not wait at the end.

thanks!

Really in my opinion it is going to depend on how much time before the lights come on. Naturally a most veileds would get water for condensation that has accumulated on leaves over night. On the other hand this is captivity. You do not want standing water for a substainal amount of time because of the health risk. For the longest time I had my veileds on a schedule like this. About 20-30 minutes before the lights came on I would mist. They would go up to bask. The cage was not usually hot enough at this point in the day to evaporate it quickly so by the time they were done heating up they still had water to drink. Any longer then 20-30 minutes I would not do it. That is just my opinion though.

I think a lot of keepers including myself wait an hour after lights on before misting. To give the cham a chance to warm up first.

-roo

Great question Lenny I was wondering the same thing about a misting schedule. So far my reasearch has said it doesn't matter or you should wait for the lights to come on. I'm going to lean towards waiting for the lights to come on, although this is one the questions I have for my vet tonight

Gordo

On a different note. The casque of the veiled was thought to have developed as a means to collect condensation over night for drinking water. Once collected they can slightly cock their head back, channel the water down the back side of the brow extention and into the "frown" part of their mouth line. There is what appears to be a little pocket. In conjunction with slight head movements, slight opening/closing of the mouth, and them moving their tongue back/forth in the gular region it would appear that they can utilize almost all the water that is collected over night.

Back
Top Bottom