Misting during the day

Malepanther123

Hi,
I mist my chameleons 2-3 times a day. Veiled an panther chams. I use 3 times with automatic misting. I been in a few group chats Facebook for say. Multiple people say to only use foggers from 12-4am an only mist them before lights come on. Should I be only doing this routine. Or can I still mist during the day an use mistking automatic system during 12hr on cycle.
Alot of advice I got for care of my chameleons. I got from this site. But saying what am doing is wrong doesn't make sense to me. So I thought I get others opinions. I do the 12-5am with humidifiers for all my chameleons but my veileds. But only misting 4-5 hours before lights come on sounds farfetched.

It's hard to say what's "wrong" vs. a difference of opinion and/or personal preference. If it works, it works; keeping a workable healthy environment is the goal.

Whether before, at, or after lights-on and/or lights-off is—IMO/E—academic. I think around lights-on and around lights off is likely close enough—rains don't fall that precisely in nature.

My mister is set to go off at around lights-on and around light-off (and around noon for drinking water). The timer on the mister may be fairly precise (though it's gained 4 minutes over the past year :rolleyes:), but the light timers I use turn on/off at ± a few minutes.

I don't use a fogger because:
  1. My nighttime temperatures don't drop below 65F.
  2. I'm able to maintain target humidity with periodic nighttime mistings (every 3 hours).
Others may have different opinions and/or experiences and/or needs. IDT there's a one-size-fits-all answer for every situation or enclosure. There are a lot of chameleons kept in different climates under different circumstances.... all-acreen vs. hybrid vs. free-range, Great Lakes vs. Southwest arid vs. coastal, indoor vs. outdoor vs. seasonal, etc.

I agree it can be confusing, so I'd get opinions from folks with the same species you're keeping, in the same approximate climate/conditions, taking into account how long they've been doing it successfully.

Hi,
I mist my chameleons 2-3 times a day. Veiled an panther chams. I use 3 times with automatic misting. I been in a few group chats Facebook for say. Multiple people say to only use foggers from 12-4am an only mist them before lights come on. Should I be only doing this routine. Or can I still mist during the day an use mistking automatic system during 12hr on cycle.
Alot of advice I got for care of my chameleons. I got from this site. But saying what am doing is wrong doesn't make sense to me. So I thought I get others opinions. I do the 12-5am with humidifiers for all my chameleons but my veileds. But only misting 4-5 hours before lights come on sounds farfetched.
Hi. What you’re doing sounds fine. Why don’t your veileds get the humidity at night too? As long as your temps are nice and cool (below at least 70, preferably lower), you can boost humidity for your veileds too. I mist for 2 minutes early AM, mid day and right before lights off. Since I can’t achieve good temp drops at night, I don’t boost humidity much but do use a couple of 15 second mistings for a small boost.
If anyone questions your husbandry, send them to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

There are multiple ways to hydrate a chameleon. Fogging is one way but should not be the only option. I happen to no longer fog at all and run 3 mistings a day 1 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I do not do it when lights are off either. The only way my boy will drink is if he sees the water moving.

There are a lot of things to consider when you decide on the how and why. Your environment can play a big role in these decisions. High humidity environment and you may not want to fog at night because night time levels are already high enough. Temps at night are also very important when it comes to fogging. You want to only do it if you can provide the low temps or you then risk an RI.

It is not a one size fits all approach in my opinion.

Hi. What you’re doing sounds fine. Why don’t your veileds get the humidity at night too? As long as your temps are nice and cool (below at least 70, preferably lower), you can boost humidity for your veileds too. I mist for 2 minutes early AM, mid day and right before lights off. Since I can’t achieve good temp drops at night, I don’t boost humidity much but do use a couple of 15 second mistings for a small boost.
If anyone questions your husbandry, send them to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
I keep my veiled 3 males in different room. Didn't really think they needed fogger during the late hours. As the panthers do. I mist twice a day with the mistking on all chams. Have two pumps running. During day of course. An leave it to the humidifiers an foggers during the late hours. There also on timers. Just noticed veileds need lower humidity. But can change that if that's ok. All my chams are eating an doing well. Just my picky adult male panther. Likes eat crickets every other day. But can't pass up a hornworm. But there considered treats so I offer them once a week.

I keep my veiled 3 males in different room. Didn't really think they needed fogger during the late hours. As the panthers do. I mist twice a day with the mistking on all chams. Have two pumps running. During day of course. An leave it to the humidifiers an foggers during the late hours. There also on timers. Just noticed veileds need lower humidity. But can change that if that's ok. All my chams are eating an doing well. Just my picky adult male panther. Likes eat crickets every other day. But can't pass up a hornworm. But there considered treats so I offer them once a week.
Yes, your veileds can benefit from increased humidity at night too…as long as you’re getting a good night time temp drop below at least 70. During the day, yes, veileds do need lower humidity than panthers.

I mist twice a day with the mistking on all chams.
I was thinking about that last night (In general—not anyone specifically).

Misting & fogging help maintain necessary humidity at night, but chameleons don't (AFAIK) drink at night, and often go to bed 1-2 hrs, before lights-out. So by misting only twice daily (dawn & dusk) only the morning mist will provide drinking water & water for eye-washing, etc. for the whole day.

Possible Solutions:
  1. Using a dripper (has its own pros & cons—see: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/mold-in-enclosure-harmful.186650/ )
  2. Misting more than once during the day
  3. Other?

I’d say you should pay close attention to the poop and urate. If it looks dehydrated and orange your chameleon needs more hydration.

I mist for 2 minutes right before lights out, and fog an hour after lights out.
And fog an hour before lights on, and mist 2 minutes right before also.

I think it all depends on your setup, and your ambient weather.

Id be cautious about misting or fogging during the day though…with high humidity and high heat comes the possibility of respiratory infections.

Back
Top Bottom