Misting Brood of Babies?

noahrofsky7

Established Member
Hello,

As an owner who is expecting Jackson’s babies in a few months, I’m preparing in every single way possible. I have read time and time again that babies can drown from a single droplet of water on their nose.
I am going to be keeping them in individual 16 quart tubs positioned vertically, measuring 12 inches tall, and will combine two together to form a larger bin measuring 8 inches wide. They will be fitted with screen bottoms and screen on the lids, and the enclosures will be on bakers shelves.
Being kept in smaller cages for the first month or two, and using automatic misters that shoot pressurized water, how do I prevent this from happening? Is it possible to prevent this?

Thanks very much as always. This forum is extremely helpful, especially right now.

I have always hand misted my babies for at least the first few months. None have drowned. I do try not to spray them directly but rather the plants around them. I run a timed dripper as well. Each baby has its own cage.
What is your hydration schedule for your babies? I mist the parents at 5AM for 1:30, 5PM for 1:30, and 2AM for 2:00 using a mistking. I am also fogging at night now that they are indoors. I am not home from 8AM to 5PM on weekdays, but can hand mist all I want on weekends. Kind of a pain in the butt question here, but what do you use to drip all those cages? Dripper with multiple hoses? Individual bottles with pinholes?
Thanks!!

I mist babies first thing in the morning and last thing before lights out enough to wet most of the leaves (very densely planted). The dripper is a modified mini misting system that I attached to a drip watering hose. Dripper goes off every 2 hours for a few seconds depositing drops on the leaves. The adult cages get fogged at night for a few hours and that fog rolls down over the baby cages below them on my rack system.

I mist babies first thing in the morning and last thing before lights out enough to wet most of the leaves (very densely planted). The dripper is a modified mini misting system that I attached to a drip watering hose. Dripper goes off every 2 hours for a few seconds depositing drops on the leaves. The adult cages get fogged at night for a few hours and that fog rolls down over the baby cages below them on my rack system.
That makes this a whole lot simpler then. Wont have to make a whole mist system for them.
Thanks very much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom