Misting and fogging schedules

Jodieflower

I’m trying to get a panther chameleon soon and have complete my setup, but now I need to get the misting correct. I tried it for the first time last night for 1 minute to begin with at 9:30pm (half an hour after lights out) and it had a humidity spike but quickly went down to 50-60% again. I need to aim to get atleast 80% at night but I’m not sure how to do it. How long do you recommend misting at night?

I’ve also been thinking about getting a fogger but have no clue about when to use it, so what’s a good schedule for one of those?

I have a screen cage with 3 sides wrapped in a shower curtain and lights go on at 9am and off at 9pm. I live in England so if anyone has experience with schedules in this country too that would be great!

Hello! I don't live in England but I'd be happy to share what I do with my chameleon's to keep their humidity up at night.

Enclosure 1
Screen enclosure - I've used corrugated plastic to cover 3 sides of the screen. For the front door, I used a window weather kit but left the bottom flip screen alone to allow a chimney effect from that bottom scene flip door and the top part of the screen enclosure. (I hope that makes sense). I mist for about 1 minute after lights go off to get a good cover of dew on the leaves, this will help the fog stick around better. For the fog machine, I have it go off for an hour the first time, then for 30 minutes each hour until 6 am, when it goes off for 1 hour again. Just before the lights turn on I mist again for about 1 minute to allow a good amount of water on the leaves for when my chameleon wakes up. This also keeps my humidity around 50% for the rest of they day which is what I need for my veiled.

Enclosure 2
Screen enclosure - wrapped in a shower curtain on three sides (will soon fix it up like the enclosure above). Misting and fogging are the same for this enclosure, however, I do put a towel over the top door at night to help hold in fog in but leave the bottom open to create a chimney effect. I don't actually know if this helps hold in the humidity or not but in my brain it does.

Best of luck to you! Is this your first chameleon?

Hello and welcome. You will soon find out that each cham has likes and dislikes when it comes to water. My female loves misting but my maled veiled gidesfrom.it. A big must that effects humidity is real plants. I have my timer set for 4am to 4:45 am for the fogger. I have had issues with resiptory infections so i stopped misting after lights out. The morning ritual is lights on at sunup right now thats 6:30am. I get up at 8 and take out the feeding bowls and mist for two minutes then feed them. I mist again at about 2pm and fog after that for my panther only as humidity needs to be higher. One thing is dont have the fog come down on any of their basking bramches. Tbis can cause a chill. I uduallytake my veilef out during afternoon misting and i have taught him to drink wzter from a xyringe which i try T that time. Then light out at 6:30. I tried a different timer setup but i raised my veiled Nd when i got him he stuvk to the sun schedule no.!atter what time lights went on or off.so be it. The suns schedule it is. You will have to try different s hefules gill you find one that works for your cham. Good luck with your new arrival.

Back
Top Bottom