Mist nozzles go bad?

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey all. Yesterday Stella’s mist nozzle stopped misting. I checked the connections - they were fine. I soaked her nozzle in vinegar overnight, and there was a bit of crud floating in the vinegar. Hooked the nozzle back up and still nothing. Replaced the tubing - no change. She and Jack are hooked to that Mist King and Jack has 2 nozzle heads, so I disconnected one of his nozzles - nope. Finally I gave her one of Jack’s nozzle heads - success! Just curious if anyone has experienced a nozzle head ‘going bad’?

Yep, the very beginning of chameleon keeping. I can't remember what caused it to go bad but I think it was hard water. That's when I didn't know a thing about keeping these little fellas

I use RO water, but I have the older Mist King that didn’t come with the reservoir filter. I keep the reservoir covered and clean, but I’m sure some dust particles will make their way in. I don’t keep track of the ages of my mist nozzles, but Stella’s is probably at least 2 1/2 years old.

Gotta remember its not a water hose. It is an EXTEREMELY small outlet pressurized by an EXTEREMELY high pressure / low volume membrane water pump.

And RO does not remove minerals other than calcium/lime/rust. Infact if you buy RO water, most of the time its just distilled/DI with ADDED minerals for flavor.

I replaced both of my nozzles in Beman's last year when we moved because they were not misting the way they should have. That was after like two and a half years of using them and only with RO water.

I got a TDS reader free with my Zero water filter... I do not use RO now because I can not get it without driving across town. Anyways... I have two readers if you want me to mail you my extra.

This is my reading on my filtered water. I just got a new filter that I need to switch out. I normally do this when the PPM hit 10-12. But my shipment was late.

IMG_7147.jpg

This is the reading on my tap water. Big difference.

IMG_7148.jpg

I was thinking to measure TDS it needs some expensive testing equipment. I’ll have to get one of those little meters. Thanks for the input! :)

Yes speaking from reef keeping experience the only way to get zero TDS water is with a 4 stage RODI filter. Wouldn't be necessary for chameleons but should keep the mist nozzles in mint condition.

Back
Top Bottom