Missing his food

@chris

Help! In May I purchased a Pardalis from LLL Reptile (before i knew how great kammerflage Kreations was) and he was about 5-7 inches and there was no information on exactly how many months he was. He seemed healthy but he does not extend his tongue completely and misses. he only extends it about 4 inches max. I believe it’s a nutritional problem and I’ve been gutloading my crickets with cricket crack and also making my own wet gutload with fruits and veggies. I noticed that sometimes his tongue gets better but not significantly. I’m really not sure what to do guys. He seems healthy but i’ve recently heard in a podcast that tongue issues can be easily treated or be a life long problem for them.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Help! In May I purchased a Pardalis from LLL Reptile (before i knew how great kammerflage Kreations was) and he was about 5-7 inches and there was no information on exactly how many months he was. He seemed healthy but he does not extend his tongue completely and misses. he only extends it about 4 inches max. I believe it’s a nutritional problem and I’ve been gutloading my crickets with cricket crack and also making my own wet gutload with fruits and veggies. I noticed that sometimes his tongue gets better but not significantly. I’m really not sure what to do guys. He seems healthy but i’ve recently heard in a podcast that tongue issues can be easily treated or be a life long problem for them.[/
Help! In May I purchased a Pardalis from LLL Reptile (before i knew how great kammerflage Kreations was) and he was about 5-7 inches and there was no information on exactly how many months he was. He seemed healthy but he does not extend his tongue completely and misses. he only extends it about 4 inches max. I believe it’s a nutritional problem and I’ve been gutloading my crickets with cricket crack and also making my own wet gutload with fruits and veggies. I noticed that sometimes his tongue gets better but not significantly. I’m really not sure what to do guys. He seems healthy but i’ve recently heard in a podcast that tongue issues can be easily treated or be a life long problem for them.
I supplement with repashy calcium plus and also Repashy calcium Vitamin A. This doesn’t seem to be correct i would really appreciate help being steered into the right direction for supplementation and gutloading

* My chameleon is a male Furcifer Pardalis,
he was 5-7 inches when I purchased him in May. I wasn’t given information on when he was hatched. :/
* I handle him about once every two weeks to take him outside for good sun, I live in Florida so i’m sure he enjoys the weather.
* I am feeding him 10-15 crickets daily with an occasional Hornworm for a treat. I have been supplementing them with dusting Repashy calcium plus, and some vitamin A from repashy as well. (i’ve learned vitamin A not be the primary cause though after looking through some threads). I have been using cricket crack for gutloading for the past month and i have just recently been using a wet gutload consisting of a lot of veggies and fruits ( which i think i need a better gutload and some advice because my crickets don’t seem to be too interested)
* i have a mister for hydration that goes off a few times throughout the day and yes i do see him drink.
* i have not gotten a fecal exam for him but his poops seem to have a white urate and it is all in a good healthy package.
* he is in a 18,18,36 inch cage ( i just purchased a dragonstrand 2x2x4 cage and will be moving him into a better enclosure asap when it comes in)
* he has currently a live schleffera for a center plant with some fake vines
* his humidity levels are about 70-80%

he was 5-7 inches when I purchased him in May. I wasn’t given information on when he was hatched. :/
* I handle him about once every two weeks to take him outside for good sun, I live in Florida so i’m sure he enjoys the weather.
* I am feeding him 10-15 crickets daily with an occasional Hornworm for a treat. I have been supplementing them with dusting Repashy calcium plus, and some vitamin A from repashy as well. (i’ve learned vitamin A not be the primary cause though after looking through some threads). I have been using cricket crack for gutloading for the past month and i have just recently been using a wet gutload consisting of a lot of veggies and fruits ( which i think i need a better gutload and some advice because my crickets don’t seem to be too interested)
* i have a mister for hydration that goes off a few times throughout the day and yes i do see him drink.
* i have not gotten a fecal exam for him but his poops seem to have a white urate and it is all in a good healthy package.
* he is in a 18,18,36 inch cage ( i just purchased a dragonstrand 2x2x4 cage and will be moving him into a better enclosure asap when it comes in)

235996AF-4DD5-47EB-B081-21AC7F8FCF51.jpeg
235996AF-4DD5-47EB-B081-21AC7F8FCF51.jpeg
* i live in florida and it isn’t very hard to keep his humidity high and i use a hydrometer to gauge this.

Attachments

• DCE42387-1EA5-4333-98BA-882E1614A871.jpeg
    DCE42387-1EA5-4333-98BA-882E1614A871.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 69
i know my set up is poor and in the coming month i will be upgrading his enclosure to a way higher standard soon i’ve learned a lot from The chameleon Breeder Podcast and the forums and all the people who have been doing this way longer than me

You watched the podcast so you know all the possible causes. injury, dehydration, nutritional imbalance etc. ect.

Did you start the extra Vitamin A before or after the problem started? Do you see any pattern at all to when it is better or worse?
I like Repashy products but too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

You watched the podcast so you know all the possible causes. injury, dehydration, nutritional imbalance etc. ect.

Did you start the extra Vitamin A before or after the problem started? Do you see any pattern at all to when it is better or worse?
So i noticed that when i don’t feed him for a day his tongue seems to lose the progress that we’ve been working on. When i received him he had this trouble and i thought if i supplemented him right they the problem would get better. Could you tell me your supplementation schedule and what brands you use? also gutloading? i know it’s a lot but it would be helpful

Also i’m not sure if you’ve kept pardalis but i have not been able to find any information to see how old he is. when i got him he was 5-7 inches.

It may be due to a deficiency of vitamin A or a vitamin imbalance, but the tongue may also have been damaged in a shot.
In the first case it usually get better with a good supplementation, but in second case it could takes a lot of time even be a permanent problem.

It may be due to a deficiency of vitamin A or a vitamin imbalance, but the tongue may also have been damaged in a shot.
In the first case it usually get better with a good supplementation, but in second case it could takes a lot of time even be a permanent problem.
so a good multi vitamin could do the trick?

Using Repashy as an all in one supplement may not be the problem but how much of it you are using and how much of other similar things you have on top of it. Some people have seen gular edema in a few of their Pardalis/Panthers When using it and their gut load product at the same time.
If your chameleon is getting good sun on a regular basis then you may only need to use the lo D formula.
Too much Vitamin A can throw vitamin D out of balance and vise versa.

Using Repashy as an all in one supplement may not be the problem but how much of it you are using and how much of other similar things you have on top of it. Some people have seen gular edema in a few of their Pardalis/Panthers When using it and their gut load product at the same time.
If your chameleon is getting good sun on a regular basis then you may only need to use the lo D formula.
Too much Vitamin A can throw vitamin D out of balance and vise versa.
alright thanks, for the next few months i’ll put him on a proper supplementation and multi vitamin schedule and see if he gets better. I’ll look more into proper supplementation.

Back
Top Bottom