Miracle Gro on Plants

Ellron

Established Member
Today I just got my veiled, Walter, and umbrella tree. I was wondering if I could treat it with miracle gro every so often. Here are the ingredents of the Miracle-Gro:

5.9% Ammoniacal Nitrogen (ammonia)
6.0% Nitrate Nitrogen
8.1% Urea Nitrogen
Available Phosphate 20%
Soluble Potash 20%
Boron .02%
Copper .05%
Iron .10%
Manganese .05
Molybdenum .0005

Thanks!

Using fertilizer in your plants in the enclosure is a bad idea because it can harm the chameleon. if you have a problem with plants dying you can either check to see if you can plant it in a different substrate (sometimes the extra hydration can kill plants so adding rocks / sand to the bottom can help drainage) or what we do is switch plants out from the enclosures.

Alright Thanks. Do I need a grow light? Will the plant benefit from the Reptisun bulb? While the plants are on rotation could I fertilize them?

its probably be ok to just minimumaly fertilize the soil occasionally, but i wouldnt spray it on the leaves, it contains phosphorus and nitrates (both not good) which will leave a residue, and your chams are always walking, eating or drinking off of the plants. most plants dont do that well long term in many cham setups, some members keep a few extra plants so they can rotate them out and keep the extras outside, that would be the best time to fertilize, its also good to occassionally wash all of the poo off and get the plants back into shape. jmo

ferlilizer facts

Using fertilizer in your plants in the enclosure is a bad idea because it can harm the chameleon. if you have a problem with plants dying you can either check to see if you can plant it in a different substrate (sometimes the extra hydration can kill plants so adding rocks / sand to the bottom can help drainage) or what we do is switch plants out from the enclosures.
Rocky: Do you have any evidence or documentation to support the claim that fertilizers hurt animals?

I would posit that there is none to be found.

If you think only organicly grown (OG) produce and meat is acceptable, state your bias. Do you buy all organicly plants and produce? Do you only eat at restaurants that use only organic ingredients? Do you feed only OG crickets? I sure don't.

I'm not some OG hater; I used to be an organic farmer. But I am a scientist by training, and so, evidence is paramount to me. What do you have?

To the OP: Fertilizing your container plants is not just a GOOD idea, its essential for their continued health and growth. The only risk I can conceive of in using a chemical form of fertilizer, would be if the animal could somehow drink the runoff from your pots. That would be unhealthy.

Almost all the food we eat is fertilized with chemical fertilizers, or comes from animals that eat plants that are.

The chemicals in fertilizers are utilized by soil organisms and the plant roots themselves and converted into the nutrients it needs. These nutrients are quickly encorporated into the cells of the plant. They become the plant.

I think you you be better off to use a high-quality food for container plants, something better than Miracle-Gro. Even though I sell the stuff, I am not a fan. Better foods can be found.

And just fertilize the soil; don't hit the leaves. If you're misting and spraying heavily as you should, the soil will be leached of nutrients. Adding fertilizer replaces them. So yes, feed your plants.

I'm glad that this topic was posted. I just bought Miracle Gro last week but haven't used it on my plants just yet. I know you should only feed the soil with the kinds of plants used for chameleons but my concern lies with the chameleon eating the soil and potentially being harmed from the food additives.

I was thinking, perhaps the stones on top of the soil IS a great idea. It will prevent the chameleon from having access to sampling the soil.

I'm going to do some research, but I'm thinking that this is potentially a great option for protecting the cham and keeping your plants lush and healthy.

I think you you be better off to use a high-quality food for container plants, something better than Miracle-Gro. Even though I sell the stuff, I am not a fan. Better foods can be found.

What plant food would you recommend? Also would a grow light help?

Last edited:
Rocky: Do you have any evidence or documentation to support the claim that fertilizers hurt animals?
I would posit that there is none to be found.

This wasnt aimed at me, but ....a quick search of the internet confirmed to my satisfaction that eating leaves (produce) that has had fertlizers sprayed on them could very well be harmful to my health. While I dont expect any such research has been done on chameleons, Im willing to guess its not so good for them either.

Obviously though a plant needs to eat. I feed mine a compost tea (home made) and worm castings. All goes on the soil, not the leaves.

If you think only organicly grown (OG) produce and meat is acceptable, state your bias. Do you buy all organicly plants and produce? Do you only eat at restaurants that use only organic ingredients? Do you feed only OG crickets? I sure don't..

Im not sure what your questions about the produce one eats has to do with it. this is a chameleon forum, not a health food forum. But youre welcome to my answer anyways :) I do grow much of my own produce organically. My critters therefore eat the same. Some stuff, like oranges, pineapple and bananas, I cant grow in my climate so I do buy from time to time and hope that the "organic" labelling means something (i have my doubts). I do buy, for the most part, meat raised organically and ethically. But I eat at regular restaurants because there are very very few that dont use factory raised meat and big farm fruit and veg.

Ellron, you can get "organic" (worm castings, fish or guano based stuff) rather than chemical ferts - the nutrients are the same, essentially, for the plant. covering the soil is a good idea and yes a plant grow bulb can be helpful. Some plants need more light than is typically provided to a cham cage. Depends on the type of plant.

light is what they live on

What plant food would you recommend? Also would a grow light help?

I like the foods from Dyna-Gro, for indoor potted plants. Very complete and they use top-quality ingredients. Earth Juice makes good organic foods.

Grow lights, or more particularly, full spectrum fluorescents are great addition to the environment. Plants live on light, and more light is better, for the most part. I use three full spectrum lights to one UVb lamp. Plants look great, and I have to prune to keep them in bounds.

This wasnt aimed at me, but ....a quick search of the internet confirmed to my satisfaction that eating leaves (produce) that has had fertlizers sprayed on them could very well be harmful to my health. While I dont expect any such research has been done on chameleons, Im willing to guess its not so good for them either.

No offence directed or meant Sandra: but, again, you have no evidence in any scientific form.

QUOTE=sandrachameleon;357603]
Im not sure what your questions about the produce one eats has to do with it. this is a chameleon forum, not a health food forum. But youre welcome to my answer anyways :) I do grow much of my own produce organically. My critters therefore eat the same. Some stuff, like oranges, pineapple and bananas, I cant grow in my climate so I do buy from time to time and hope that the "organic" labelling means something (i have my doubts). I do buy, for the most part, meat raised organically and ethically. But I eat at regular restaurants because there are very very few that dont use factory raised meat and big farm fruit and veg... [/QUOTE]

So, you are a realist, at least when it comes to restaurants.

I have my doubts too about "organic" labeling, especially when it comes to produce from Mexico and other third-world places.

I support and patronize local organic farmers. Just not slavish about it.

Science requires an open mind.

Ellron, you can get "organic" (worm castings, fish or guano based stuff) rather than chemical ferts - the nutrients are the same, essentially, for the plant. covering the soil is a good idea and yes a plant grow bulb can be helpful. Some plants need more light than is typically provided to a cham cage. Depends on the type of plant.

I will defiantly use organic.

For grow lights how would this work ?
1.http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php?crn=635
2.http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPr...t_GE Sunshine Bulbs - bright, noonday lightFP
3.http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPr...ent_GE Daylight Bulbs - cool, natural lightFP

Last edited:
As a very bad grower of plants, when I am saddled with one, I usually use the "Miracle Grow Grow Sticks" which I shove into the soil.

As of this point, it hasn't come up with the plants in my chameleon's cages as they are both Pothos's and seem to thrive on water.

However, does that seem like a good approach to a perceived need to help the plant combined with a fear of possibly causing the chameleon problems?

No offence directed or meant Sandra: but, again, you have no evidence in any scientific form.

Im not sure that you can state I have no scientific evidence. You have no idea what papers on the subject I may have read. But Like I said, I have as much evidence as I require. If you require more, do a little reasearch for yourself :)
I dont see you providing any evidence that supports fertilizers being healthy to consume. So Im not sure why you are bashing those who feel it likely is not.

Last edited:
As of this point, it hasn't come up with the plants in my chameleon's cages as they are both Pothos's and seem to thrive on water.

Arent they amazingly simple plants :) I use a lot of them. I do find that after about a year of being in just water, they start to fizzle / slow - so I drop a bit of compost tea in their water.

If you are going to use those sticks, likely best to sink them well below the surface. Personally, I wouldnt use them.

Can I ask why not? As mine are still thriving (and, I suspect that they will get some bonus fertilization from the chameleons themselves) I haven't faced that question, but if there's a good reason not to push one of those sticks in (and, yes...I'd bury it completely) I won't do it.

This whole grow light thing seems a bit confusing. I don't know what to do! What are the best lights? I would do my own research, but I don't know what do look for! Who has had a good experience?

This whole grow light thing seems a bit confusing. I don't know what to do! What are the best lights? I would do my own research, but I don't know what do look for! Who has had a good experience?

Don't stress yourself over it.

I use an Exo Terra 2.0 Reptiglo as it has a low UVB output but more importantly, the 6500k I wanted for my plants. It's meant to be used together with a 5.0 or 10.0 UVB light.

You don't have to use a light. Another option is switch the plants every now and then. So, one month have plant A in the enclosure, next month take plant A out and put it outside with the sunlight and place plant B in the enclosure. Rotate!

Can I ask why not? As mine are still thriving (and, I suspect that they will get some bonus fertilization from the chameleons themselves) I haven't faced that question, but if there's a good reason not to push one of those sticks in (and, yes...I'd bury it completely) I won't do it.

I dont think you're likely to harm the chameleon at all if you choose to use a fert stick.

I think it just comes down to personal choice about what you feel is best.

If you're using store bought produce as part of your gutload, and I think most people do, some fertilizers and pesticides are getting into your chameleon no matter how you choose to feed your cage plants.

Personally, I choose organic. I think its better, and I have it available without much effort, so no reason to go buy chemicals in any form. I also dont have too many plant eating chameleons (one female panther is an exception), they get most of their drinking water from drippers (not from licking leaves or eating veg direct), and I dont free-range food on plants (it is released on branches or vines and immediately eaten, or put in feeding bowls). So any potential risk is low anyhow.

There are however some on this forum who advocate for No Chemicals, and they wash all soil off of store bought plants and repot to avoid perlite, and pellet chemical ferts, and pesticides, etc.

A grow light is only necessary if you have plants that need lots of light, and they arent getting it. Go to the store and look at tubes that say "for indoor plants" or similar. Anything that says 6000 - 6600 k on it is good.

Back
Top Bottom