Metal halide lighting

Fate X

does anyone use these high intensity lights for chameleons? these lights are super bright there are like 10 times brighter then flourec\scent lights and there kelvin temp is as good are better then flourescent's the only problem is they generate lots of heat which might be bad in the summer ,but in the winter they might be perfect.

I would not use these lights unless you know what you are doing. I don't know enough about the output of metal halides and of course it would depend on the wattage as well. It is possible the lights are too powerful and would not provide a proper uv gradient for a chameleon, especially in the short cages most of us use. There is a great site on reptiles and uv here, they may have some info.

i do not have a metal halide light , i read about them when i was looking for light bulbs online.

Metal halides are most often used with saltwater reef tank setups. They're powerful enough to provide light to the most demanding corals and clams, and in my opinion even the weakest on the market would be overkill here.

Even experianced reef keepers have to find ways to deal with some of the drawbacks of halides; they're very hot, they suck up electricity like a sponge, and they're initial cost can be pretty high.

If you just have one lying around and have no use for it, you might be better off selling it at a place like http://reefcentral.com/forums/index and using some of the cash to get a more appropriate light for your needs.

Or you could just donate it to my tank. My corals would love you.

-mike

Ive always used them.....

They have worked well for me. My most colorfull cham loves his, but i would not go out of the way to get one unless you know what you are doing. I happen to have extras from other hobbies;)

I had one once for one of my very large cages. My male panther that was in the cage was looking very stressed one day and all fired up. Curious as to what was upsetting him, I noticed he kept looking up at the flourescent lighting above him and continually kept his eyes upward with a very defensive attitude in his body display. I got under him in the cage and looked up to see what was there... and I went into hysterics laughing when I saw that what he was upset about was his own reflection he saw in the metal reflector :D :D . He thought some other male was in his cage and territory... LOL. He didn't realize that he was actually looking at himself :rolleyes: .

I just pulled out the metal reflector. It comes out very easy. After that he was in peace once again :p .

I'd recommend Mercury Vapor over Metal Halide for chameleon use. The UV levels aren't so intense, but it still has excellent light penetration with very little UV dropoff. Power consumption will vary depending on the wattage and the ballast. I'd recommend that anyone considering HID lighting should purchase a UV meter and keep their eye on things. Overexposure can cause eye and skin problems.

You have to whatch running these types of lights indoor. It is a red flag to the electric company when the see great electric pulls in the 12 hour cycles that some of these lights can produce. It also leaves a nasty heat image when the police do their fly-bys. Obviously you are using the light for a legitamit purpose but it could end up being a hassle on this end to.

i was looking at different types of H.I.D. lighting as there are many different kinds from what i read many are used to grow/flower plants, now there are new flourescent bulbs that use the mogul sockets. i was thinking something like a 75 watt h.p.s. and a 75watt metal halide combo would be good.what concerns me is the chameleons going blind because they might look at the bulbs . has anyone that use these ever have chameleons go blind?

I have never used one. Although they are tempting being an all in one light source. The breeder who I bought my last male off of has on display his "money making male veiled". He is in a closet sized room with a 200-300 watt mercury vapor bulb and he looks healthy. He is abnormaly larger at almost 30". That chameleon has been in that room with that light for at least 5 years that I have seen. He seems to have no ill effects from it as I have seen him hunt, drink, and bask in this room. He is the only veiled I have ever seen display a true red and now the male I bought off of him is starting to too.

I would def say not to use these. I used them for my reef tanks a long time ago. Then came vho, and now I use power compacts. Hallides burn way to much energy and get very hot and have a big ballest for power supply. None of the lights I mentioned are good for chams. You would also have use a lot of them to draw the attention from police.lol,, They are also very expensive. I will say this and some may not agree but if you are looking to grow and fragment hard stony corals they are best. They are very good for plants as well...but if you want to grow plants..use power compacts..there great lights. these lights are not for chams at all.150 watt hallide bulds alone can run you $150 and up.. and life sucks they get weak after 4months...but if you are still intersted and have a purpose for any of these lights. I have hallides and power compacts I am looking to sell..24in and 36in compacts...I used to be a reef fanatic..its just to much work and you need your own house...now I am a cham freak..lol..now I want to raise moths..:cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom