metabolic bone disease

superstiney

So now that i know my chameleon has MBD i read up and found this...

CASE REPORT:
The juvenile veiled chameleons in the images to follow were from a clutch of about 35 affected animals. The entire clutch developed limb deformities as a result of a type of metabolic bone disease called rickets. Rickets is a disease of young growing animals caused by nutritional deficiencies, resulting in failure of normal calcification of bone. These animals were fed a large percentage of mealworms in the diet, which have a very poor Ca:p ratio. Additionally, the crickets that were being used were not regularly dusted with a calcium supplement. UVB lighting (ZooMed's ReptiSun 5.0) was in fact being used in this case but the animals still developed problems due to poor diet and inadequate calcium supplementation.

mine eats plenty meal worms and wax worms...hardy crickets!
how can i get him interested in crickets again...?
is it alright that he like wax worms and eats those the most?

waxworms are very fatty and should be offered as a treat.
dust your mealworms everyday if that is all he is eatting.
be very carefull if you are dusting with calcium with D3 b/c your cham can overdose on it.

Interesting case that clearly illustrates how all elements need to be in place for success.
Waxworms are really only a treat and are very high in fat.
I would replace mealworms in the diet with well gut loaded Zoophoba, or Super, worms.
I would replace waxworms in the diet with silkworms.
Cockroaches would be a good insect to try replacing the crickets with.

-Brad

wax worms are high in fat.
so, it is not a good staple feeder.
mealworms are also not as good.

IMHO, this is the list of best staple feeders that you can choose (in respective order)
1. Silkworms
2. Dubia Roach
3. Phoenix Worms (excellent calcium source for reptile with MBD. they also contain lauric acid that help battles coccidia. the only
reason it's here, instead of #1, because they're hard to digest. So, prick
them with a needle b4 feeding and you'll be fine).
4. Horn worms
5. Super Worms
6. Green Locust
7. Crickets
--------------------
now... i'm pretty sure your cham will find at least 1 of favorites from that list.
I do not dust horn worms, phoenix worms, and silkies because they're nutritious enough to stand alone without supplementing.
best to alternate the feeders. and dust your other feeders.
horn worm is a bit fatty too.. but way better than wax worms. horn worm is also good for dehydrated chameleons.
the only problem that i see is that your cham probably already hooked on wax worms.. so it might be a little bit hard for him to convert.
but nothing that hunger can't fix.

I do not like mealworms as a feeder for chameleons (personal opinion)
The level of nutrition is debatable.
They have a high % of chitin and have been known to cause prolapse and compaction problems when offered exclusively.

-Brad

where can i get other types of worms??
in my area there are like NO reptile stores!
i found that he has gotten attached to the wax worms when i noticed he stopped eating crickets i gave him both wax and meal- he at the wax lol

so silk worms i can give as a normal diet? not just teats?

the florescent bulb does not give heat right?
my boyfriend suggested i leave the uvb on overnight?
would that be ok? or is to much bad

feed him as much as he wants. i would go the supperworm route tho.
as far as your light goes, not much heat at all. i would turn it off.
he may not sleep with it on.

lol he sleeps if there is a shadow on his face.
was just curious b/c my lights turn off at 9 and he was sleeping w/ the florescent bulb still on... after this i just want to make sure he gets all he needs

if i dust the mealworms.. thats better for him?
i have calcium w/ Vit-D powder... if i dust them to much or to often will that will be worse?

Yes, too much is bad. If he has a white powdery discharge coming from his nose you will know it is too much.

Sadly you can't make him better, faster by feeding him more supplements. It will just take time and proper husbandry.

why do i have to prick the Phoenix worms?

phoenix worm cannot be digested if swallowed whole by your cham (in case he did not chew them).
Pricking them ensure his gastric acid will penetrate the worm so they are digested well.

All that calcium and nutrition will go to waste if they are not digested..

Note that sub-adult is indicated in regard to mantids.
Just about any size chameleon can handle a hatchling mantis ....
I don't recommend feeding fully developed chinese or european mantids as the raptor claws could pose a danger to your chameleon.
A 1 to 2 inch insect is easily managed by an adult veiled.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom