Mesh Or Glass Viv?

ant0nina:)

Hi, i’m looking for a vivarium for my chameleon i’m getting in a couple months. I have seen many people having different opinions on mesh and glass vivs. I was wondering if in the UK (where it can get pretty cold) a mesh vivarium would be able to keep in enough heat and humidity for a panther cham ? thank you ?

I like my glass enclosure for colder locations.
DFD53C34-9B64-4CEA-ACDD-5BB6CC975BD9.jpeg

Hi, i’m looking for a vivarium for my chameleon i’m getting in a couple months. I have seen many people having different opinions on mesh and glass vivs. I was wondering if in the UK (where it can get pretty cold) a mesh vivarium would be able to keep in enough heat and humidity for a panther cham ? thank you ?
This is a debate that goes on and on. I prefer glass and i'm in the uk where its colder. Glass retains heat and humidity better and fogs up better but screen has better ventilation. if you go glass go exoterra. If screen then go dragon strand or repti breeze. What species and sex of chameleon are you buying because that also plays a role in it?

edit: so you said panther cham ok i'm assuming its a male so for panther cham you'll need a littgle higher humidity (which glass retains well) but there's limited size options for glass. I can't find glass cages over 3 ft tall. My panther cham lives in a komodo hybrid(half screen, half glass) that is 30x18x36 inches. You might want one of those

Great did they mention the temperature of their home?
no but they said they're in the uk and they said it gets pretty cold (which it does lol). Exact temps would help us also. people heat their houses differently so it may not be similar to mine.

If I lived in the UK I would go for the glass. I live in Canada and I've used glass for many years.

I even started off with aquariums 30 years ago...that's all that was available...and everyone says they won't work...but they can. I would never suggest aquariums today though with all the cages that are meant for chameleons available.

I had to get cages custom made for chameleons to get away from the aquariums. I tried all screen, three sides glass with screen fronts and lids, etc. but the exoterras worked the best so I stuck with them in the end.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Back
Top Bottom