Meller's Questions

scchameleon

Searched the forum for a couple of questions unsuccessfully. I got a Meller's 2 weeks ago (LTC) and everything is going great! He/She is eating everyday and drinking everyday. I have it in a large converted metal shelf that I got at Lowes. She seems to love it. I haven't seen her climb on the top or sides of the enclosure once.

Here are my questions:

1. She/He has a nice horn that is attached and in good shape except that it has a black tip to it. Probably from rubbing shipping container. My question for those that have keep these beautiful creatures: After a couple of sheds will the horn continue growing and lose the black bruising?

2. She/He is about 8 to 10 inches horn to vent with another 10 inches of tail. Everything I've found says 24 inches or so max growth. Is my Meller's going to grow much more or is she/he close to full grown?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Taco.JPG
    Taco.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 129
Here are my questions:

1. She/He has a nice horn that is attached and in good shape except that it has a black tip to it. Probably from rubbing shipping container. My question for those that have keep these beautiful creatures: After a couple of sheds will the horn continue growing and lose the black bruising?

Melleri horns don't get that large or "hornlike" so its hard to say how much larger it will get. If the damage is superficial it should heal and the black scabby area drop off. I think I'd dab some Polysporin (no pain reliever) on it to protect the tissue and prevent secondary infection if he/she keeps rubbing it. Many melleri don't like confinement so keep an eye on it in case he/she decides that enclosure is too small.

2. She/He is about 8 to 10 inches horn to vent with another 10 inches of tail. Everything I've found says 24 inches or so max growth. Is my Meller's going to grow much more or is she/he close to full grown?

Just like any other species there is individual variation, but I would assume a little more growth just to be on the safe side. You may see more growth in girth, not necessarily length. It may also be affected by less than perfect husbandry while being exported-imported.

Thanks for your help!

For really great information about melleri, go to The Melleri Discovery website.

Thanks Carlton

I haven't seen her rub her horn in my care and the injury looks to be superficial. I hope a full body shed is coming soon. Yesterday after my post both eye sockets shed. Thought that was odd but she got rid of the excess skin fairly quick.

She is eating a good bit each day so I am assuming she is still in a growth spurt stage.

I haven't touched her yet. So can't give an acurate weight. Going to let her settle in for a while. She has just started to be ok with me being around over the last couple of days.

The guy I bought her from said he bought her as a suspect female.? Don't know how accurate that is.

I would say to definitely look for more growth, as all my Melleri are at least 11 inches nose to vent. But, as Carlton stated, every chameleon is individualistic in size. I think it would also depend how long she has been in captivity. This could give you a better idea on what you can expect in potential growth. I completely agree with Carlton on the fact that you should look for him/her to bulk up considerably. He looks well hydrated so that's Awesome!! Even though he/she was a LTC, I would still have a fecal done just to know. IMO!! Oh, and the black on the rostrum should go away before too long.

Thanks Carlton

I haven't seen her rub her horn in my care and the injury looks to be superficial. I hope a full body shed is coming soon. Yesterday after my post both eye sockets shed. Thought that was odd but she got rid of the excess skin fairly quick.

She is eating a good bit each day so I am assuming she is still in a growth spurt stage.

I haven't touched her yet. So can't give an acurate weight. Going to let her settle in for a while. She has just started to be ok with me being around over the last couple of days.

The guy I bought her from said he bought her as a suspect female.? Don't know how accurate that is.

It's very very hard to sex melleri. If you happen to catch one everting its hemipenes during defecation that would tell you. If you have one for quite a while, see it defecating multiple times and never see them maybe a female. Also, if you have one that lays a clutch of eggs...there you go!

Some melleri are very docile and almost social even as wc. I had one like that. "She" had free range of the house and often climbed the couch using me as the route, and would spend some time perched on my shoulders. She was a sweetheart. Others are nasty, stressy, and intolerant.

Got another question for you guys. I've seen mixed answers on this. How often do you supplement calcium, calcium w/ D3, and multivitamins?

The only thing I have given her feeders right now is a dusting of Repashy Calcium Plus LoD twice a week.

Got another question for you guys. I've seen mixed answers on this. How often do you supplement calcium, calcium w/ D3, and multivitamins?

The only thing I have given her feeders right now is a dusting of Repashy Calcium Plus LoD twice a week.

What does The Melleri Discovery recommend? Some keepers manage melleri like a montane species (dusting with plain CA daily, dusting with CA with added D3 once a month, dusting with herp multivitamins once a month to 6 weeks), but other keepers supplement more like a panther.

My Melleri is doing great. She is more interested in her surrounding everyday. I have had her for 20 days now.

Check out her diy enclosure I completed for her. All materials were bought at Lowes or HD. It is 6ft tall, 2 feet deep, and 4 feet wide. She seems to be comfortable.

Attachments

• Taco's Enclosure.JPG
    Taco's Enclosure.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom