Meller's opportunity

Simon1986

Hey guys I've had the chance to get my hands on a mellers. They have fascinated me due to their looks and size but due to the lack of them around I've not done any research.

Can people with them share any general info about them. Eg
Size?
Humidity?
Viv size?
Life span
Everything and anything really I know I could read books but I'd rather people's opinions and experiences.

Hey guys I've had the chance to get my hands on a mellers. They have fascinated me due to their looks and size but due to the lack of them around I've not done any research.

Size?
Humidity?
Viv size?
Life span
Everything and anything really I know I could read books but I'd rather people's opinions and experiences.

Be careful. Most melleri are imported as adults or nearly adults. They are often poorly cared for before they arrive, and dehydration/kidney failure is a major issue for these chams. They often end up with injuries or thermal burns from hot lamps. If this cham hasn't been in someone's skilled hands for a month or so you could be facing a lot of vet bills and heartbreak. Depending on time of year they are not that rare on the market, so you can be choosy. Really ask the person who has it now how they have cared for it!

A full adult melleri can reach 24" TL. They require a LOT of space (there are no commercially available cages that suit them so you'll need to either build your own or free range it), a LOT of water (they drink slowly for 20-30 minutes at least once a day...more if they are dehydrated), and eat a lot as well.

They don't necessarily need high humidity, but again unless this is an established thriving adult getting them stabilized will take attention.

Really difficult to sex unless you are lucky enough to see everted hemipenes when a male poops. Very common for the imported females to arrive gravid and they are egglayers. Some are quite docile and tolerant. Others are quite nasty and can really bite. Meet the cham before you decide.

And, yes, the Melleri Discovery is the best website for this species!

Size?
Humidity?
Viv size?
Life span

Simon,

Read your Private Message from me!;)

Nick

They're so fascinating! I would love to hear more about it if you decide to get him/her. Maybe even blog your experience? :D

Back
Top Bottom