Meller's information?

Hey All,

I've been doing research and debating if I want to get a melleri. I think they are the nicest looking of the larger chameleon species with regards to color but I would like to make sure I can fulfill it's requirements.

I currently have a 2Wx1.5Dx4h (ft) enclosure with a couple live plants and vines. I have a small free range attached to the enclosure by a fake vine with 2 fake trees. I've read the they need a lot of space, is this enough? Should I worry about the fake plants in the free range?

I have experience with Jackson's and their humidity/water requirements. Can I use a cool mist and a dripper for a constant water source and mist heavily in the morning and night until I get my automatic mister set up again?

What do I need for supplementation? Calcium w/o D3 regularly, Calcium with D3 weekly, and multivit monthly? Plus gutloaded crickets of course.

Is UVB lighting necessary when supplementing with D3?

Unrelated to melleri: how do those that free range their chams feed? I'm guessing cup feeding but I feel that would get boring for the cham

Thanks!

Also, I've read they are very susceptible to stress. I'm used to Jackson's so I'm not sure how to gauge this and I know it depends on the individual. I have other herps (day gecko and darts in tanks) that would be in the same room, will this stress it out? Also how about "handling"?

I'm on my phone so I'll try to remember to come back tomorrow and write out more but in the mean time check out Melleridiscovery.com - it's a good website with a lot on their care and housing, so that should help.

Thanks, I've been browsing that site and the melleri page on here and it's been a big help. These are the questions I want to personally address before getting one of these guys. No matter how much research I do I know I'm still going to be a nervous wreck getting it acclimated. My biggest concern is with stress and the stress due to lack of space.

I see you're in Florida, I'm in Tampa!

Ok, today I'm on the computer and can write out something longer! I love Tampa, I'm in Miami right now but am planning on moving up there more permanently in perhaps another year.

- Space: Meller's are big and heavy, so they definitely seem to prefer horizontal space over vertical space. So while I think that 4' of height could be enough as long as it's set up high on a stand (they really very rarely travel downwards unless it's too hot near the top of the cage) I would try to figure out how to make the cage more like 4-6' wide as well. That way you can put the basking spot on one end and he can move side to side to regulate himself.

- Water: That seems ok. They are long drinkers, so misters and/or drippers should go on for at least 15-20 minutes a couple times a day. Once they start drinking they can easy drink for that length of time!

- Supplements: I supplement mine like I would a Jackson's, which are more sensitive to high levels of vitamins, so I use calcium 2-3 times a week and then vitamin D3 and multivitamins once a month or so. Right now mine are all getting hours of daily sunshine so I've cut out vit D completely.

- UVB: Yep, it's much better to get a good UVB bulb than to rely on vitamin supplements. They can produce as much vitamin D they need in their skin safely, but can easily overdose on the artificial stuff, so you want to use the vitamin powder sparingly and rely on a good bulb with some of our lovely Florida sunshine thrown if you can!

- Feeding: On a free range you do pretty much either hand or cup feed but you can set some bugs loose on vines if you aren't afraid of them running off, like bigger roaches. The idea of them running off in my house creeps my out but I may let an adult roach loose on the vines at a time, keeping an eye that it gets eaten before I leave the room. And then things like manduca/hornworm moths are a lot of fun for them since they flutter.

- Stress: Yes, at first they can stress about a lot of things. With them the critical time is when you first get them, particularly if they are freshly imported individuals. They can be tricky to acclimate sometimes even if you do everything right but once they are in your care for 3-4 months you know they are probably going to be ok. Once they get used to life in captivity and with you they tolerate typical life activities just fine, from trips to the vet to changes in their housing. But you want to avoid extended stress, which might come from being pestered every day by children, poor access to water, being in the same cage as another individual they don't like, etc.

I don't think the other pets would bother him, honestly.

- Handling: I don't think any of mine like being handled but some tolerate it more than others. I try to keep handling to just weighing them and doing my weekly physical check but interact with them through hand feeding instead most of the time. They are totally comfortable with me but like to be in "control," so they will walk right up to me on the free range, eat from my hands, watch me curiously as I do whatever in their area, but if I pick them up they would rather get off.

Hope that helps! Hopefully other melleri owners chime in, we have several on the forums right now. There are also melleri lovers Facebook groups that a lot of us are in, so that could be a good resource as well.

Thanks for all the info. Now I'm just worried about the space and the first Couple months of stress (for me and him!) Here is a pic of what I have set up at the moment. The enclosure is pretty much set in stone regarding size but the free range can change. I was thinking he can have his personal enclosure space with his basking, water, and UVB and then be free to explore the trees outside the cage when he needs room. I was also thinking about putting the fake trees in front of the cage so they give him more privacy. Should I be worried about the fake plants in the free range?
6ebydyme.jpg
qyzy3yja.jpg

Melleri are heavy chameleons. They will need thick and sturdy branches and vines. If it's not as thick as your thumb, it's likely too small, unless you have a baby melleri. The rope in the above photo will simply not be enough. I also wouldn't make climbing highways up really high with nothing under to catch a falling chameleons, especially with how small the vines are (not enough to grip or walk on and be stable).

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy the round soaker hose. It's like $12 for 50' and is perfect. Also buy some ficus plants that are tall... I also suggest some bamboo rods that you can stick into the planted pots. You can then use zipties to attach the soaker hose to the bamboo. You don't need to make the 'highway' so high. Melleri like to be above your head, but if you aren't in the room all that often they'll be OK most of the time.

I also need to emphasize the importance of water supply for melleri. I had misting in my entire free range so that no matter where my melleri were, they had access to water when the water was on. I did three 20 minute mistings.

Here is my old free range setup. You'll notice my melleri do not have spots, this is a stressless coloration.

Melleri are heavy chameleons. They will need thick and sturdy branches and vines. If it's not as thick as your thumb, it's likely too small, unless you have a baby melleri. The rope in the above photo will simply not be enough. I also wouldn't make climbing highways up really high with nothing under to catch a falling chameleons, especially with how small the vines are (not enough to grip or walk on and be stable).

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy the round soaker hose. It's like $12 for 50' and is perfect. Also buy some ficus plants that are tall... I also suggest some bamboo rods that you can stick into the planted pots. You can then use zipties to attach the soaker hose to the bamboo. You don't need to make the 'highway' so high. Melleri like to be above your head, but if you aren't in the room all that often they'll be OK most of the time.

I also need to emphasize the importance of water supply for melleri. I had misting in my entire free range so that no matter where my melleri were, they had access to water when the water was on. I did three 20 minute mistings.

Here is my old free range setup. You'll notice my melleri do not have spots, this is a stressless coloration.

I sure miss the days when you had all your mellers and posted all the pictures.

Thanks for the reply. This set up was for my Jackson and is not melleri ready I am just trying to get an idea for what I need to improve/add. Unfortunately I can't dedicate the room to be a total free range with misting throughout. Is this a deal breaker or a preference. It's definitely clear that these are sensitive chams and I don't want to take these on if I can't make them happy. Happy Cham = happy keeper and I like to be a happy keeper. Again do I need to worry about the fake plants in the free range?

Nice job opening up your room. I think I posted this before for you, they do get HUGE and HEAVY. When I saw my first one in person, I couldn't believe it. It was basically a small dinosaur. Like the other poster said, plenty of water and no stress. They really are neat little buggers. :D

I don't really have a size reference so I'm going to have to take your word on it. I'm also used to not being able to interact with my herps since I started with day geckos. What I liked about the Jackson was that he would be willing to climb on to me once in awhile and chill on his free range tree next to me. Can this behavior be seen in an acclimated melleri? I don't have any major stresses in the room such as small kids that would constantly be a bother.

I'm thinking about running a rain done within the tank along with misting and a fogger so there is a constant source of water of some kind. This source of water would only be within the enclosure however except for hand misting that I can do when he is out and about and I'm there.

I'm sure I can beef up my vines and free range without a problem. I'm thinking silicone and peat moss covered thick rope for the vines.

I stumbled across the melleri in my search for a large chameleon species. IMO they are the most attractive and colorful of the handful except a parson but I don't have that kind of budget. So although I really like them, if I can't meet their need completely then I will move on for now. This is why it want to make sure everything is 100%.

Again, can anyone weigh in on the fake trees in the free range?

The fake trees are fine, you'll just need to add thicker branches or dowels from one to another so the fake leaves act more like cover than pathways, since they're flimsy. For mine I cut down branches from trees outside and that's what runs through my cages/free ranges, and they offer a lot of support. But whether it's dowels or whatnot, these guys can easily weigh a pound or more so they need something more sturdy than a panther or Jackson's would need.

...be willing to climb on to me once in awhile and chill on his free range tree next to me. Can this behavior be seen in an acclimated melleri?

Yea, that's not unreasonable, I think. He may or may not be willing to climb on you out of his own free will but it's definitely possible that he chills happily on his free range with you nearby. All of mine do. It's funny, because if I'm in one corner of the room doing something (like mopping, sweeping, etc.) I can look up and see all 3 of them at the closest edge to me of their free range, watching what I do out of curiosity. So they're super comfortable with me in their space but being picked up makes them uncomfortable.

Yeah I was thinking I would have to beef up the fake trees as well. I just read that they tend to eat leaves so I wanted to clarify. I'm sure a lot of behavior has to do with the individual. How does my idea for water sound? It sounds like a lot of water to me but in one designated area. Are chams smart enough to know where to hydrate? Sorry for the ignorant question, I'd like to think they do but I don't want to draw conclusions.

because if I'm in one corner of the room doing something (like mopping, sweeping, etc.) I can look up and see all 3 of them at the closest edge to me of their free range, watching what I do out of curiosity.

They do seem to be little peeping toms. Mine always watch me. I have one or two who love to watch my cocker spaniel. You would think they are watching him as a predator, but when I open up their cage, they walk up to him to inspect. Kind of opposite of what you would expect. Not even chameleons are apparently afraid of cockers. Such passive dogs (unless you have the thyroid kind).:):D;)

That's awesome to hear they like your dog! I just found out the melleri available to me is a CH baby. I don't have experience with baby chams so is there extra precautions to take with the little guys?

The OctoMellerium Project

Hi all you Meller's lovers,

All of the comments about their care are right on target. I might add that in terms of daily care the Meller's require a little more than other species. They like to be hand misted and generally don't start drinking for about 10 minutes. If you have dripping water they simply won't go over to it and start drinking. They wait for the water to come to them and drip on their heads and into their mouths.

I am setting up an exhibit of 8 free-ranging Meller's at The Reptile Zoo in Fountain Valley, CA called The OctoMellerium Project. You may get FREE tickets by contacting me.

I've attached some pictures of Melissa Meller who is almost three feet. I hope you like them.

Brian Allen/ President
www.ExhibitAdventures.com
[email protected]
17595 Harvard, C190, Irvine, CA 92614

Attachments

• Melissa with African Orange Background.jpg
    Melissa with African Orange Background.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Melissa on a walk.jpg
    Melissa on a walk.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 126
I sure miss the days when you had all your mellers and posted all the pictures.

Maybe some day I'll get back into it like I was. For now I don't have the space. :(

Thanks for the reply. This set up was for my Jackson and is not melleri ready I am just trying to get an idea for what I need to improve/add. Unfortunately I can't dedicate the room to be a total free range with misting throughout. Is this a deal breaker or a preference. It's definitely clear that these are sensitive chams and I don't want to take these on if I can't make them happy. Happy Cham = happy keeper and I like to be a happy keeper. Again do I need to worry about the fake plants in the free range?

The issue with plastic plants is that they are not strong enough for an adult melleri if the plants are the 'click together' type..... You'll see that they have these little joints making the length modular. This type will come apart and create a falling hazard. My melleri would sometimes eat the plants, especially one in particular. Her side of the free range always had bite marks in the plants.

Yea, that's not unreasonable, I think. He may or may not be willing to climb on you out of his own free will but it's definitely possible that he chills happily on his free range with you nearby. All of mine do. It's funny, because if I'm in one corner of the room doing something (like mopping, sweeping, etc.) I can look up and see all 3 of them at the closest edge to me of their free range, watching what I do out of curiosity. So they're super comfortable with me in their space but being picked up makes them uncomfortable.

Stress is a huge health concern for melleri. When you see photos of melleri that are yellow, pail, and especially heavily spotted, they are stressing the F out. I lived in the same room with my melleri for years and observed them closely.

When one melleri entered another melleri's space, the spots came on as a warning.

Honestly, they aren't to be handled unless needed. OR, if when you handle them they return to spotless coloration fairly quickly. Chameleons are not play animals like bearded dragons. They are similar to any other lizard species people don't handle regularly.... but people have tried to convince many, otherwise.

That's awesome to hear they like your dog! I just found out the melleri available to me is a CH baby. I don't have experience with baby chams so is there extra precautions to take with the little guys?

And I want to touch base on the safety issue. Never trust your dog or cat or other lizards around your chameleon. This is a two way street....each has instinct and we as humans can't predict or even begin to understand what is going on with our animals thoughts. It's not that they are more complicated than us, they are just far more un-rational so they do unpredictable things. Sure, maybe hold your melleri near to your dog, but out of reach so the dog can get a sniff or two in order to calm their curiosity. But never let them interact where you are not in 100% control. I have never had a serious incident, but there are stories on the forums. Why put yourself in that situation?

I don't want to sound grumpy and old.... because I'm not that old and I'm not that grumpy.... but I think there are bad habits on this forum and they perpetuate sometimes. Best to start out doing it right, than try and fix the issues later. So far I haven't met a vet who can bring animals back from the dead. :rolleyes::cool::)

Thanks for more input summoner. The plastic plants i have are definitely going to need some extra support and I like Olimpia's idea with the sticks and dowels. I'm used to not being able to interact with my reptiles like people can with bearded dragons but my Jackson was a big step up from day geckos or dart frogs which are complete display animals. I'm worried about stress but I know the signs (based on pictures) which helps a lot. My main concern is water now, I know I can supply enough water within the enclosure but is that enough? In regards to the free range for space, I think I can make it a suitable area for the melleri. I might try and set up a little island free range like the one that was done on the melleri page.

Summoner or others, do you have experience with melleri babies? What are the does and don't, like I said I don't have experience with Cham babies.

And summoner your last statement is exactly why I'm here asking questions now and not after.

Back
Top Bottom