Mellers care

they don't need height, they need horizontal space. They like to walk around and stretch out. Their temp should be regulated closely so they don't need to go up or down in order to cool off. They just need a place to bask or walk away to cool down.

The website recommends a 4 x 6 x 6' for a reason, just the chameleon will be about 2' from tip to tip! So they really do need the horizontal space to roam around. If you can custom build your own cage, that would be best.

well that isnt really a problem for me since i already have the equipment for the chameleon to build his cage. What worry's me is the state the chameleon is in since it is WC but i would not worry to much as i already have a vet for reptiles which would not be as a big problem but just worried how the cham is in terms of health =).

A 24x24x48 inch cage is not large enough for an adult. Ok for a baby and juvi... after about a year the melleri will need a new home:

I currently keep one large melleri in this free range:
IMG_1535.jpg

It has automated drainage:
IMG_1531.jpg

AquaZamp misting nozzles (6 in total):
IMG_1554.jpg

There are three basking lamps (because I had three melleri in this one free range) only two operate now as one melleri doesn't need THAT much basking variety...
light1.jpg

Here is the misting system... controls water to different chameleon enclosures in the home. It also filters the water using the RO process. It is fully automated via ethernet and can be accessed from anywhere in the world with the internet.
_MG_7005.jpg

OMG, Kevin! That's one h*ll of a set-up you've got goin' there! SHEESH! LOL Nice pictures of it all! You showed where the water drains into from the trays, but from there, does it drain outside, or do you have a pump connected to some sort of permenant drain in the house?

OMG, Kevin! That's one h*ll of a set-up you've got goin' there! SHEESH! LOL Nice pictures of it all! You showed where the water drains into from the trays, but from there, does it drain outside, or do you have a pump connected to some sort of permenant drain in the house?

That particular pan has a pump and it pumps into another pan that is similar, but with a higher flow pump in order to pump the water to a connection under the sink in the kitchen. It was some piece I got from Home Depot for a couple of dollars.

The purpose is in case the system somehow managed to not shut down... part failure or computer glitch. I've never had an issue, ever. But it is nice when we go on vacation, no buckets to drain.

I truly believe my success with melleri has simply been hydration. You need to give them lots of it. They need to dry out each day. But they REALLY like to sit and drink when they want to drink. Lots misting and several times a day is well received. j

I think that if you can't give an animal what it needs all the time, you shouldn't keep it. so if you need to substitute a shower misting once a week, you aren't cutting it.

Well i was asking to see if it was alright that does not mean i wont spray the cage 2-4 times a day which really isn't a problem for me to do and add a dripper i was just asking to see if i could shower just to see if it was ok as a "treat" i suppose i could call it like that but not necessarily the only source of hydration i could give the chameleon, that would irresponsible and yes you are right people shouldn't buy a animal that they can not care for but that is not my case. Though i would like to thank the people who have answered some of my questions and i have bought the supply's for the chameleon so by tomorrow mourning i should have the setup ready to go for a mellers so yea thanks a lot guys.

The misting routine for my melleri is 20 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes mid day and 15 minutes later in the afternoon. They basically have a shower session three times a day.

Back
Top Bottom