Mellers cage size

Marc10edora

Avid Member
In the far distant future I want to get a Mellers chameleon just because they are huge. What size of a cage should an adult Meller be kept in? What size is most comfortable?

www.melleridiscovery.com states:

If you take on the responsibility of keeping a giant, you have to think big. The overall cage size should be as large as you can make it. The minimum is 4' x 6' x 6' for a single animal and a robust collection of live plants. Outdoor enclosures are preferred for physical and mental health. The 260 gallon Reptarium all-screen cage, when placed on a raised platform, has worked for some as a temporary outdoor cage.

Some melleri do not tolerate caging but may thrive in a free-range indoor set-up.
http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/mar2003/free_range/free_range.html

I always wanted to make a free range enclosure. Maybe one day when I do make one, I will put a melleri in it. They are awesome chameleons.

In the far distant future I want to get a Mellers chameleon just because they are huge. What size of a cage should an adult Meller be kept in? What size is most comfortable?

Despite having written the 4x4x6' recommendation, I have yet to update it that some CB and CH melleri are OK in a 30"x30"x6-foot huge Reptarium (the 260 gallon model), placed up to room ceiling height, on its side, for maximum climbing space. This works generally for (not for 100% of) melleri that are raised in captivity. Wild melleri want bigger space, free ranges are great for them.

Also, needs change with their life stages; males may climb screens when they start looking for a mate. You have to be sensitive to the cham as an individual and change its enclosure (and exercising options) to suit it. Melleri are not a cham that one cage design and size will work for its entire life. Good cages evolve with their needs.

Another thought: if you want a cham "just" because it is huge, an easier giant species is the Oustalet's. Melleri are rather difficult to acclimate as WC, and have high water requirements. When you are ready for one, get a hand-raised CB or CH. Get melleri "just" because they have melleri attitudes and physical characteristics. I lobe- er- LOVE 'em.

Good to know. I think I might do more research on the Oustalet's breed. It will be a long time before I get another chameleon. So I have plenty of time to get my stuff together.

Back
Top Bottom