melleri hatching!

That is SO awesome, Perry! You have done what I can only dream about so far. I love my Melleri but . . . baby steps . . . no pun intended! Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations! Baby Melleri are just so darn adorable. I hope to see one in real life someday!

Deb

Update. Three made it out on the first day. Two additional eggs are sweating. Only 4 eggs have shrunk so far. One of those has yet to emerge, and I'm a little concerned about it because there's only a single, small slit. It's been that way all day without any progress. :( The 3 that've hatched made multiple slits which pretty much coincided with the eggs shrinking. On more than one occasion, I've had eggs like the former that failed to hatch so I'm always concerned when it takes longer than I expect.

Perry

Thanks again to everyone. As a reminder, these eggs were laid due to no real effort on my part, other than caring the best I could for the mother and providing her with a laying bin. I only had her in my care for 2 1/2 to 3 months before she laid. I bought the mother as part of a breeding pair. The pair had bred multiple times in the pet store. I don't know how long the pair had been in the country or how long it had been since they were imported from Mozambique. Hats off to you melleri keepers that work long and hard trying to not only establish a group of adults but in trying to determine if they even have a pair, let alone a compatible pair. I got lucky and found a pair that was breeding under what I am sure were less than ideal conditions.

I'm kind of wondering if the neonates should be considered CH or CBB. Technically, they would be considered CBB since the parents bred in captivity. Practically speaking though, I would think they would be no better than CH neonates. If my understanding is correct, I think that part of the value in having CBB neonates over CH neonates is the fact that with CBB, a buyer can be more assured that the mother received good care while she was gravid. With CH animals, the mother may have been in poor condition when she laid, due to the stress of importation, and that can sometimes result in less than healthy neonates. Thankfully though, for the most part, from what I can tell so far, the ones that have hatched seem pretty strong but it may be too early to really tell.

Update. Three hatched on the 19th, none hatched on the 20th, and six hatched on the 21st. So, 9 of the 18 eggs have hatched so far. Unfortunately, one neonate in one of the eggs that had shrunk on the 19th and only had a single 1/8 of an inch slit never made it out of the egg and died. Apparently, it was too weak to cut its way out. Very sad. Hopefully, the remaining 8 eggs will hatch soon.

Perry

When I started this thread, I remember thinking about putting it under the forum "melleri group" but instead, I could have sworn I used the more general forum "chameleon breeding". If I'm not mistaken, and I didn't put it in the "general photography" forum, then why might a moderator have moved it? I've only posted 3 pics so far, so it's not like it's picture heavy. :confused:

Perry

congrats! I am jealous - nothing cuter than baby melleri!

Thanks Karen! I agree about the cuteness of melleri babies. IMO, they're one of the most attractive babies of all chameleon species, along with quads of course. I'm sure Laurie would agree with me about the quads especially. ;)

Exciting stuff! I had never even seen a photo of a melleri neonate. They look fantastic. Good luck with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom