Medium

OrangeJuice

Established Member
So I keep reading everywhere about various mediums to incubate Veiledy eggs. Which would y'all recommend? If possible could I get the reason why you can't incubate the eggs in the same medium that the girl laid her eggs in? I bought some vermiculite but if there's something better I'd appreciate the ideas :)

The reason you can't use the substrate the female lays the eggs in is because they will be very difficult to keep at the right moisture level and you will likely lose the eggs.

I've used the coarse grade of vermiculite for over 25 years now for many kinds of reptile eggs. I use a shoebox sized Tupperware type containers half full of slightly moist vermiculite. To test for moisture take a fist full if moist vermiculite...you should only be able to squeeze out a drop or two of water. Lay the eggs in rows about an inch apart in all directions in dents made with your thumb. Place the lid on and put the container somewhere dark where the temperature is about 74F.

Okay so it helps with the survival rate. I was wondering why they lay so many eggs lol. When I go to dig up the eggs, is it okay if I kind of turn them a little? Like I'm freaking out over if I accidently turn one because I have been told not to turn them

Try not to turn them. Often they will be okay if they are turned but it's not a guarantee. They lay so many eggs in captivity because they are overfed usually.

Tossing in my 2 cents here. I use coarse vermiculite as well as it's easier to keep at a constant moisture level. Same type of container as indicated above.

While eggs are delicate, they are not THAT delicate and will have a tendency to survive some pretty bad conditions. I have read many stories of babies suddenly 'popping up' in enclosures where a female had laid in the potted plant without the owner being aware. I myself had a female lay in her potted plant and due to my own error (busy life...putting if off...and then forgetting about it) left them in there for 2 months before digging them out. They were bone dry and many were stuck together. Out of the clutch of about 23 or so, over half the eggs incubated to hatch healthy little babies. Of course, nearly half were lost because of that error but it still amazed me that the others hatched!

I also had a clutch dry out in the vermiculite for maybe a couple days (no A/C in the house and it was scorching out), they shriveled and looked like they were beyond saving but I rehydrated the medium and they perked right back up and continued on to hatch!

I suppose the point of sharing this is to say that a laying medium as suggested is ideal for a pretty constant outcome. However, eggs can survive a great deal. Things like shifting them while moving from lay bin to incubating medium isn't going to affect them much. Just don't shake 'em! :p

As for keeping clutches smaller and less frequent - I feed my females every other day about 5 to 6 large crickets and their basking temps are around 87/88F. I have found this to be a successful way to lower the frequency and number of eggs laid. For example, I have 2 females who are over 2 years old that have never laid. Clutch sizes are around 20-25 eggs on average for my fertile females. Compared to when I was not practicing this method...clutches were close to 40 eggs. (Panthers)

Last edited:
As for keeping clutches smaller and less frequent - I feed my females every other day about 5 to 6 large crickets and their basking temps are around 87/88F. I have found this to be a successful way to lower the frequency and number of eggs laid. For example, I have 2 females who are over 2 years old that have never laid. Clutch sizes are around 20-25 eggs on average for my fertile females. Compared to when I was not practicing this method...clutches were close to 40 eggs. (Panthers)
I've been doing this for years which is why I was asked to write this....
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.ca/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Thanks for the article, it was very easy to pull info out of. It's also nice to be reassured digging out the eggs will be okay, I wasn't sure if they were as fragile as I thought! As for vermiculite, I'll attach some pictures of the kind I have, as well as the Tupperware I plan on putting the eggs in. Should I poke holes in the top of the container, and if so how big?

Attachments

• IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    343.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    498.5 KB · Views: 149
I've poked a tiny tiny hole in some lids and in the side of some contains ers and left others with no holes...it didn't make a difference. That vermiculite will be fine

Thanks for the article, it was very easy to pull info out of. It's also nice to be reassured digging out the eggs will be okay, I wasn't sure if they were as fragile as I thought! As for vermiculite, I'll attach some pictures of the kind I have, as well as the Tupperware I plan on putting the eggs in. Should I poke holes in the top of the container, and if so how big?

I poke 2 small holes in opposite sides of the lid for some airflow. Just small ones, enough for some air to get in - not a lot. :)

I started keeping them that way in the early 90's and like I did with everything else, shared my method with everyone.
Ive been keeping them for over 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom