Mean Chameleon

RESGuy

I have seen pictures on here of people holding their chameleons or the chameleon walking on them. But my chameleon hates me. Every time I put my hand in to touch him he hisses at me and tries to bite me. Is their anyway to make him nicer?

Is this the veiled that you are trying to sell?also veileds tend to be like that...I have heard many reports of people saying that thier veileds bite...Theres not much you can do, try using a stick to get him out of his cage instead of your hand...Same goes with holding him, just use the stick..

I don't know. Im planning on trading him in to a pet store for another veiled .... But thanks for the tip ;)

Why would you do that? No chameleon enjoys being handled, and a lot of chameleons have the exact same temperament that yours does. My panther tries (and occasionally succeeds) to bite me on a regular basis.. like, every time I try to get him out of the cage lately. I take it as a sign that he is happy with his cage, and that he is healthy. He isn't a dog or a cat, and I don't expect that he will be my buddy. If you are planning on trading him for another veiled because of his attitude, you may want to rethink keeping a chameleon. Perhaps the pet store will allow you to trade him for a bearded dragon instead.

Heika

I don't know, Ive seen so many people handaling him though so I just thought .... Oh and I can't have a bearded dragon lol at least not in THAT cage!! And I don't want to buy anything new ....

A NEW veiled is not the answer. All those people shown holding their veileds whent thgough the same process of hate you did. You need to gain its trust.

RESGuy said:
I don't know. Im planning on trading him in to a pet store for another veiled .... But thanks for the tip ;)

Why exactly are you trying to sell your veiled if you plan on buying another so soon? Because it's aggresive when you try and handle it?

I really think the new veiled is not the answer.I personally like veilds attitudes. It is what makes them cool and sets them a little apart from other chams.Plus if you trade him the cycle of pass the unwanted pet starts.
just my opinion
kevin
chameleon76

Chameleons are hard work. Likewise, so is earning their trust. You don't want to force it into doing anything it doesn't want to do. I have a male veiled chameleon and it took a long, long while to build a trusting relationship. To this day it's always hit or miss; some days he enjoys being hand fed and carried outside, others he would rather be left alone. You need to learn to respect their natural instinct. An animal isn't the "master of camouflage" because it loves being cuddled everyday. Obviously, it would rather be left alone. Now in captivity, through patience and practice, the chameleon can learn that you are nothing to be afraid of. But it needs to go both ways: respect his territory, provide him with everything he needs, SLOWLY you can wean him into being handled, albeit infrequently. The only way you are ever going to succeed is by accepting and respecting the chameleons unique personality. Certainly, they are not bearded dragons.

I think it’s awful, by the way, that you are selling your chameleon because it’s acting naturally. :mad:.

One last thing: hold your chameleon just one time and let it sink those sharp, powerful claws into your skin. You will have a brand new outlook on this whole handling thing.

I am not selling him anymore by the way. I was selling him because my parents won't support him. They don't want to spend their money on him and there waws no way I was going to be able to keep him.

Now about the trading thing.

Im sorry I got confused by the first reply made here. I thought she ment that there was NO WAY I would be able to tame him and gain his trust. And I might as well just try to handle him with a stick.... Thank you for all of you replies! I think you just saved a chameleon from a pet store!!! (EEK!!!)

Im glad to say I was able to convince my parents into letting me keep him. :) Im sorry for getting you guys so upset! I am new to the world of Chameleons. I know that buying any pet without doing your research beforehand is already a bad start. The thing is that we (my family and I) went to the Florida International Reptile Show, and we fell in love with the Veileds and they where cheap and we were already there (you know how it is when your at a reptile expo!) So we bought it, a cage, lights, etc. I will now try all I can to get it to like me but I think it really doesn't like me know because I always try to handle him and he hisses and jumps at me so know he is scared. Im going to give him some space for a day or two before trying to hand feed him a superworm ... Again thanks for your help guys!!!

Gotta agree with those stating that Veileds are aggressive. Both of ours are but I wouldn't trade them for the world. It is thier nature mostly, we use sticks to get them out of the cages and then let them travel our outdoor plants under protection.....too many cats in the 'hood, if ya know what I mean! I suggest you try the stick method and the holding a worm in the hand method to entice him to "walk" on you if that's what you want. Just don't get angry if he does bite you, remember, these guys have attitude, it's part of the reason we love them so much!

IvorySerpent

Last edited:
Hermie's aggressive ... and that poor thing was handled three times a day when he was sick for months. He wasn't aggressive at all when he was sick though, so honestly I am GLAD that he's aggressive ... it means that he's feeling well again.
Chameleons are more "look at" pets if you ask me -- handling them a lot stresses them out. When I bought Hermie the pet store made sure that I knew this (which I did), even specifically wrote down "look at pet" on top of his care sheet. You can handle them some, and there are some that deal with it better than others. Usually once hermie is out of his cage he'll stop his hissing and biting routine.

The other thing to remember is if he/she does get ahold of you dot yank your hand out. I have been biten by a Veiled in the past, along with Beardies and it can sure pack a punch. Just remember their jaws arnt that strong and you can hurt them if you yank your (What ever gets bite) out of thier mouth.

Frank

Hm. well out of my "mediocre" chameleon handling experiences.. as everyone else said, this seems normal. I just recently gained my young veiled's trust, they now feed from my hand and are glad to walk onto my hand if its presented to them. i dont force them on or anything.. it just took a month of slow progressing, hand feeding, and other Trust-proving exercises to show them that i wont harm them. I personally think you should keep your veiled and not trade him/her in for another. More than likely it will develope the same way unless maybe you get its trust at a younger age perhaps?

Thanks for the advice, but I have already decided to keep him BTW, this is what I posted 1 week ago:

"I am not selling him anymore by the way. I was selling him because my parents won't support him. They don't want to spend their money on him and there waws no way I was going to be able to keep him.

Now about the trading thing.

Im sorry I got confused by the first reply made here. I thought she ment that there was NO WAY I would be able to tame him and gain his trust. And I might as well just try to handle him with a stick.... Thank you for all of you replies! I think you just saved a chameleon from a pet store!!! (EEK!!!)

Im glad to say I was able to convince my parents into letting me keep him. Im sorry for getting you guys so upset! I am new to the world of Chameleons. I know that buying any pet without doing your research beforehand is already a bad start. The thing is that we (my family and I) went to the Florida International Reptile Show, and we fell in love with the Veileds and they where cheap and we were already there (you know how it is when your at a reptile expo!) So we bought it, a cage, lights, etc. I will now try all I can to get it to like me but I think it really doesn't like me know because I always try to handle him and he hisses and jumps at me so know he is scared. Im going to give him some space for a day or two before trying to hand feed him a superworm ... Again thanks for your help guys!!!"

Veiled chameleons tend to be more aggressive than other species of chameleons. I have heard stories from people that own a veiled and they have no troubles and are able handle them and are not aggressive. However, the percentage is higher of stories I hear about veiled owners unable to touch them due to high aggressive attitudes. I myself have a veiled, and he has one aggressive attitude as well lol.

If someone is considering a veiled, I'd suggest getting them as young as possible and work with them daily to get them used to being handled. However, even that is no guarantee you won't end up with an aggressive one. They love to be king! :D

Back
Top Bottom