Mealworm Disclaimer

I was just proving the theory that mealworms could be a good feeder if fed right. By all means please do not take this as an excuse to feed your chams only mealworms. In fact, even feeding them plain crickets is better than feeding them plain mealworms. Not that you should do either...

what a pointless thread!
It started with how mealworms are the perfect feeder and they are great for protein, but then you totaly contradict yourself by saying that they are worse than crickets and to much protein is bad.

I dont think it is a pointless thread.

There is a lot of anti-mealworm-ism on this forum that could use a little calming down. Mealworms can be part of a useful diet. Their greatest advantages are how easily and quickly they breed, how cheap they are to buy (if you dont want to breed), how easy they are to keep (easy to feed, no special container or heating or special food), and how easy to store (refridgerate). They can be easily gutloaded. They are well accepted by most chameleons. And if you beed them yourself you have access to a variety of small sizes, which is great if you also have small (or baby) chameleons or other lizards or frogs.

A varied diet is best, in my opinion. Feeding too many mealworms would be a bad idea, in my opinion. Feeding too many crickets or too many supers or too many silkies or too many roaches would also be a bad idea, in my opinion. Offer 10 or more different prey choices, vary the gutloads, and your chameleons will benefit nutritionally and never get bored.

The pet place near my home calls superworms, extra-large mealworms. JFYI

lol those are the types of shops I try and stay away from. ;) :p

-Clemonde

EDIT: There has been many threads about this if you use the search option you will find most of your answers.

Back
Top Bottom