Mbd?

DjangoLeon

I recently got a baby veiled chameleon. I've had him for two weeks now. Today when I got home, I noticed that he was shaky and breathing heavily. I took him out of his cage and he didn't want to move around like he usually wants to. He seems to have trouble moving around his cage and is slower and more un steady than normal. When he was out sitting on my hand his arms and legs sort of curled under and he didn't want to stand up. I was wondering if this could be MBD? I have a blue uva reptile light for daytime and a black heat light for night. His cage is by a window where he gets Sun in the morning. I have been giving him crickets everyday and coating them with a calcium vitamin D powder about 4 times since I have had him. He also gets meal worms and lettuce. Temp is around 80's. I just moved and he also may have gotten a little stressed out. I'm not sure if that may have caused this as well? Any advice on what to do to help him would be much appreciated!

calcium with D should be used twice a month. phosphorus-free calcium with no d3 every feeding if your using crickets. make sure you have read the care sheets. this might also be worth looking at. muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com

your chameleon needs a uvb light. The light you are describing is a basking bulb(the blue light) and contains no uvb which is vital for their health and the prevention of MBD. If you have only had your chameleon for two weeks, andhe does indeed have MBD, it is most likely he came to you that way as MBD does not develop immediately. Putting him in front of the window is fine for some warmth and sunlight but not for uvb rays as they do not pass through glass. You do not need any type of light at night, so you can get rid of the black light. Please post some pics of your chameleons limbs so we can try and determine if he has MBD. If you are going to feed him greens and he likes them, try feeding a dark leafy green like Kale or mustard or collard greens. They are much more nutritious for him than regular lettuce. Also, as the other member stated, calcium with d3 should not be used at every feeding. Get a plain calcium with no d3 for daily dusting.

Thanks everyone! I will get him a UVB light. He seemed to be absolutely fine this morning so I'm not really sure what was going on. I'll try to put some pictures up so hopefully someone could tell me if this episode was caused by MBD or not.

Back
Top Bottom