MBD rescue Veiled

BruceV18

Ok, I will yry to make a long story story short, as I am sure everyone has seen this so many times before (part of amphibian forums so I know the feeling!) My friend was, not knowing any better, sold a veiled cham with MBD, and not knowing what to do gave him to me, being experienced with frogs and snakes. When I got him, he was limp, grey-ish, and thin. He gave me his national geographic tank, which has a screen strip on the site, and screen on the top. I have access to a full screen tank, but I worry about him climbing. Temps stay at around 80 since I worry about him climbing still, and I turn the lights off to cool down, and take him outside in the sun for temps higher than 80 and some national UBV.

Under my care for 3 weeks, he has shown quite a bit of improvement, but still struggles to walk/climb. I have been feeding him reptiboost with a syringe, dubias and butter worms (to put on weight) dusted with repashy calcium plus, but only when he opens his mouth outside. He has put on 6 grams, got his color back, and tried to walk and climb a lot more!

Some pics:

Day of rescue
babavuha.jpg
rerygete.jpg

1 week ago
tedemy3y.jpg
eqysupad.jpg
ubaha8ug.jpg
zu9uhuhu.jpg

Today
buvu6y9e.jpg

Some questions...

My biggest concern he is not eating/drinking on his own. I have to hand feed/watwr him when he opend his mouth for heat... is this part of the recovery process, or should I be concerned. Vet said it is probably due to the MBD, but must eventually learn to at least open his mouth for food, not for the sun.

Do you think it is safe for him to climb now that he is trying to? he is still clumsy with moving his legs and grabbing, but does have a good grip when he does grab with his hands and tail, and can seem to support his weight when vertical. I am just worried about him falling :(

Thanks! And suggestions are welcomed!

Congrats for taking him on!

It's a tricky situation because with MBD there are a couple extra issues to keep in mind. 1, that his jaws are probably not very strong so you want to be extra careful not to force his mouth open and to use the gentlest method possible so you don't accidentally crack his mandible. And 2, since calcium is involved in all the contractions involved in muscle movements, his deficiency is what is making his coordination extra difficult and is probably not letting him digest things very well (since your intestines quiver to move things along). So while you want him to eat you have to be very careful and understand that until his blood calcium levels reach a more normal level his bodily functions, like digestion, are not working at 100%. So it's a delicate balance.

For water I would mist him often and see if he does drink on his own (especially if he doesn't think you're watching.)

And along the same thread with his coordination I would still keep him in a very simple hospital cage for a while until his bones start to reharden a little. Otherwise I worry he will fall over and break another bone (it already looks like he's suffered several breaks over time, poor guy.) So maybe you can elevate the cage higher off the ground so he feels higher up but keep his climbing opportunities limited and close to the cage floor. Maybe even keep something soft on the bottom, like a towel or a sheet of rubber/foam.

I have some paper towels at the bottom and used bendy branches to makena raft looking thing for him to hold onto. Also makes it easier to transport him outside :)

Hes been pooping for me, once every other day usually, so I dont think theres anything serious going on digestion wise, which is good!

To try and avoid prying his jaw open, I feed him outside when he has his mouth open on hos own for the sun :).only have to open it manually on rainy days...

I will keep his cage simple then, I dont want to see him fall :( and coming from someone who has brittle bones (Osteogenesis Imperfecta) I dont want to see him breaking anything else!

Just an update, me and another local petstore I know have decided that he will stay at his petstore perminatly under his care now that he has improved to help educate others on the importance of supplements and proper lighting. As much as I would love to keep him, if he can help prevent this from happening to at least one other cham, I will feel much better! This guy also goes to local schools with 2 russian tortoises he rescued that have severe pyramiding due to lack of care, so he is no stranger to educating others! :)

Back
Top Bottom