MBD metabolic bone disease

Hi all
I have recently purchased a chameleon from a pet shop and im really concerned about her. Zooki is my first chameleon and i was unaware of MBD. However when i look at pics i see some similarities. Shes 9 months old. ive had for for about 10 days.

please can you tell me what you think of her in this pic?

many thanks

Elaine

Attachments

• chameleon...jpg
    chameleon...jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 416
MDB metabolic bone disease

heres another pic so you still see it in her here? im so stressed and annoyed with a pet shop to sell her when shes unwell its heartbreaking. the stress of changing viv etc.
if you can reply to this would be great and ill call the pet shop asap. i feel they should treat her for me selling her like this?

let me know what you think

Attachments

• chameleon.......jpg
    chameleon.......jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 184
I agree with the others that she does indeed have MBD. It is not necessarily a death sentence. She also appears to have eggs in her belly. I also agree with the others that a visit with a reptile vet knowledgeable in the care of chameleons. MBD can be treated and stopped. The damage done however cannot be reversed. At the top of the Health Clinic forum is a sticky titled how to ask for help. Please fill this out with as much detail as you can. Then the other forum members can look over your husbandry and give appropriate advice. Most of the time instructions and supplies from pet stores are suprisingly inaccurate. I would not hesitate to call the pet shop either. They may not pay for her treatment but I would expect them to give you some money back, I would tell them that she is ill and was ill when she was sold and you will do them the favor of accepting her as a rescue and provide her with the proper care and ask for your $$ back. I would not return her because it is unlikely they would do anything but re-sell her. To the left of the forum pages is a link called care resources under which are care sheets particular to different types chameleons. There are several excellent and experienced keepers here who will gladly help you get her healthy along with her vet. Good luck and welcome to the forums. By the way I love her name!

thank you so much for all your help. i had a strong feeling as ive been doing alot of research and just all seems very familiar to my zooki xx

I agree with the others that she does indeed have MBD. It is not necessarily a death sentence. She also appears to have eggs in her belly. I also agree with the others that a visit with a reptile vet knowledgeable in the care of chameleons. MBD can be treated and stopped. The damage done however cannot be reversed. At the top of the Health Clinic forum is a sticky titled how to ask for help. Please fill this out with as much detail as you can. Then the other forum members can look over your husbandry and give appropriate advice. Most of the time instructions and supplies from pet stores are suprisingly inaccurate. I would not hesitate to call the pet shop either. They may not pay for her treatment but I would expect them to give you some money back, I would tell them that she is ill and was ill when she was sold and you will do them the favor of accepting her as a rescue and provide her with the proper care and ask for your $$ back. I would not return her because it is unlikely they would do anything but re-sell her. To the left of the forum pages is a link called care resources under which are care sheets particular to different types chameleons. There are several excellent and experienced keepers here who will gladly help you get her healthy along with her vet. Good luck and welcome to the forums. By the way I love her name!
The damage done can be reversed to some degree, but it will never fully heal as if it hadn't happened.

Yeah, she does have MBD. Its hard to tell on a carpet.

It doesn't look like lateralis. The ventral crest is way to pronounced and the dorsal crest is also very pronounced and very visible running into the tail.

Looks more like a juvenile female oustaleti.

Carl

Hi all
I have recently purchased a chameleon from a pet shop and im really concerned about her. Zooki is my first chameleon and i was unaware of MBD. However when i look at pics i see some similarities. Shes 9 months old. ive had for for about 10 days.

please can you tell me what you think of her in this pic?

many thanks

Elaine

The 2 comparisons. Of the choices.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 133
  • oustaleti-female.jpg
    oustaleti-female.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 124
  • P1080293.jpg
    P1080293.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 103
It could possibly be a veiled.

Either way it is gravid and needs some attention for the MBD.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom