MBD HELP

I’m a little confused by your statement , you stated that the UVB compact caused MBD how is that possible? Though it doesn’t put out as wide Field it still has the same UVB rating ? Am I missing something here? Thanks for your time
The compact/screw in uvb bulbs have not only a very narrow field but a very short one too. The ideal UV index of 3.0 is only about 2” away from the bulb. This may help illustrate it for you.
D99F4F0D-3F90-4AE0-93F7-2DE6B39C8612.jpeg

The compact/screw in uvb bulbs have not only a very narrow field but a very short one too. The ideal UV index of 3.0 is only about 2” away from the bulb. This may help illustrate it for you.
View attachment 316912
Yes I’ve already seen that but it clearly shows that there is available UVB , just not as wide a field . I guess what I’m getting at is they do work . And could be used in certain situations . Thank you

I’m a little confused by your statement , you stated that the UVB compact caused MBD how is that possible? Though it doesn’t put out as wide Field it still has the same UVB rating ? Am I missing something here? Thanks for your time
If it is not at the exact distance needed for the bulb type then they are not getting the UVI exposure level needed. With the bulb that comes in the chameleon kits the branch literally needs to be 3 inches below the UVB bulb to have the right level. Too far away and nothing because the UVB drops off almost completely with these bulbs too close and they are in over exposure levels which can cause its own issues over time.

T5HO Linear bulbs are better because the UVB lighting gets push farther down and out then a compact. Also it creates a long path of light rather than just one spot. Allowing for us to then and a spot light for heat to that area. Then the area of basking has both a heat/uvb area.

I would only recommend someone use a compact bulb if they have a solarmeter to check their exact levels. These would not in my opinion be good for an adult cham because they have to be so close to the top of the cage.

Chameleons &UVB.jpg
cham kit.jpeg

If it is not at the exact distance needed for the bulb type then they are not getting the UVI exposure level needed. With the bulb that comes in the chameleon kits the branch literally needs to be 3 inches below the UVB bulb to have the right level. Too far away and nothing because the UVB drops off almost completely with these bulbs too close and they are in over exposure levels which can cause its own issues over time.

T5HO Linear bulbs are better because the UVB lighting gets push farther down and out then a compact. Also it creates a long path of light rather than just one spot. Allowing for us to then and a spot light for heat to that area. Then the area of basking has both a heat/uvb area.

I would only recommend someone use a compact bulb if they have a solarmeter to check their exact levels. These would not in my opinion be good for an adult cham because they have to be so close to the top of the cage.

View attachment 316919View attachment 316920
Thank you yes I’ve seen those reviews , I understand how it works I was also watching where they put two bulbs in those double domes which increases The range and depth , I mistakenly put one in my tank and of course will be changing it out to a linear as soon as it arrives , but temporally I’m using one he seems to go to it when he needs it Basking branch is exactly the right higth away from the bulb . And using a light meter I seem to be getting the right levels of UVB . , just being inquisitive .

This is an oldie, but a goodie.

Totally get it , and again I’ll be changing mine out this week , my little guys only been under it for seven days but he seems to use The heat lamp and UVB intentionally , just my observation

Attachments

• CA329E66-DB39-447B-B0DD-2EB38725EB4F.jpeg
    CA329E66-DB39-447B-B0DD-2EB38725EB4F.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 50
Totally get it , and again I’ll be changing mine out this week , my little guys only been under it for seven days but he seems to use The heat lamp and UVB intentionally , just my observation
Ok, but the more you know, the more you know. ;)
I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand to be told to do something a specific way and not told why or have any questions answered.

Ok, but the more you know, the more you know. ;)
I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand to be told to do something a specific way and not told why or have any questions answered.
Looks like you’re just like me❤️☺️ I like to see all angles , like I’ve said before I was a Chamaeleon keeper back in the 70s and 80s and there was no information , we had a lot of success and we had a lot of failures ,now I just wanna be the best Chamaeleon keeper I can be . 😊

Thank you yes I’ve seen those reviews , I understand how it works I was also watching where they put two bulbs in those double domes which increases The range and depth , I mistakenly put one in my tank and of course will be changing it out to a linear as soon as it arrives , but temporally I’m using one he seems to go to it when he needs it Basking branch is exactly the right higth away from the bulb . And using a light meter I seem to be getting the right levels of UVB . , just being inquisitive .
So putting two of the 5.0 bulbs in a double dome does not increase the depth though. The bulb only has the ability to push adequite levels of UVB so many inches away. It only increases the area of disbursement.

Also the fact of is this a baby or an adult has to be taken into consideration along with the bulb strength. The 3 inches would put a baby in a perfect range with the exo terra 5.0 compact. but what we are actually looking at is where their back hits. For a larger cham this would cause a shift down in the branch to ensure the back is in that 2.5-3 inch range below the screen top.

There is quite a bit that goes into it. But the other issue with using these and double domes is you have to be so close to the screen to get the right uvb but then you also are far too close to the heat bulb. This then puts the cham at risk for a thermal burn from the heat bulb.

Hopefully your using a solarmeter 6.5 to test the actual UVI output. They should be in a 3 UVI level at their back.

So putting two of the 5.0 bulbs in a double dome does not increase the depth though. The bulb only has the ability to push adequite levels of UVB so many inches away. It only increases the area of disbursement.

Also the consideration of is this a baby or an adult has to be taken into consideration along with the bulb strength. The 3 inches would put a baby in a perfect range with the exo terra 5.0 compact. but what we are actually looking at is where their back hits. For a larger cham this would cause a shift down in the branch to ensure the back is in that 2.5-3 inch range below the screen top.

There is quite a bit that goes into it. But the other issue with using these and double domes is you have to be so close to the screen to get the right uvb but then you also are far too close to the heat bulb. This then puts the cham at risk for a thermal burn from the heat bulb.

Hopefully your using a solarmeter 6.5 to test the actual UVI output. They should be in a 3 UVI level at their back.
I have not doubled the dome just asking The question . yes my boy sits at about 3.5 and temperature at basking Bulb is about 81 , so at this point he’s getting correct UVB and temperature and I’m sure as he gets older this will require a shift , as previously stated I’ll be changing to a linear this week , just asking questions hope I didn’t come across disrespectful . Totally appreciate your information .. Thank you for your time

I have not doubled the dome just asking The question . yes my boy sits at about 3.5 and temperature at basking Bulb is about 81 , so at this point he’s getting correct UVB and temperature and I’m sure as he gets older this will require a shift , as previously stated I’ll be changing to a linear this week , just asking questions hope I didn’t come across disrespectful . Totally appreciate your information .. Thank you for your time
Oh no not at all. This is actually one of my favorite areas of husbandry. I did a ton of research on it when I got into the hobby since everyone had their own version of the right answer. So I really like talking about it with people that want to understand it. :)

You have a panther right? You won't have to increase temps much at all. They are finding that a lower temp at basking helps them live longer lives. 85 max for an adult male.

Oh no not at all. This is actually one of my favorite areas of husbandry. I did a ton of research on it when I got into the hobby since everyone had their own version of the right answer. So I really like talking about it with people that want to understand it. :)

You have a panther right? You won't have to increase temps much at all. They are finding that a lower temp at basking helps them live longer lives. 85 max for an adult male.
Again thank you so much , Great that’s awesome to hear . Yes I have a panther and eventually I’m looking into getting A Tamara design tank . My hope is with all the information I’m able to keep my boy alive for a long time . We literally use no humidity Water drippers and had several Chamaeleons living throughout our house . But they didn’t live very long . Now that I’m in an age where I can slow down and have some fun with it . I’m full blown back into it . So I’m going to keep searching for knowledge , we only had a few books that gave us information it was very poor , But we love them dearly . Really appreciate your time .

Back
Top Bottom