MBD and/or egg bound?

Just putting that out there, an idea!! Yes everybody has to start somewhere.....research before purchasing helps alot.......etc...

Just putting that out there, an idea!! Yes everybody has to start somewhere.....research before purchasing helps alot.......etc...

I agree that it is always best to do research before getting any pet especially a chameleon. With stores like petsmart or Petco selling them this is going to be impulse buys or people just flat out getting bad info from store employees. Even at some of my local reptile stores they don’t give out proper advice for these guys.

At least the op is here trying to learn and do what is best for there chameleon. I think as chameleon keepers it is somewhat our duty to help each other learn and grow. That is what this site is for.

I’m not saying anything about you. I get where your coming from but let’s try to help them become a great Cham keeper first.

Ok, sounds fair... pet stores are no good for info!! I just have to say, there is so much care info on this site...this site is a golden treasure trove of care info...if somebody is so inclined to care enough to research. With a few chameleon husbandry searches this website popped right up...thats how I found it

Idk where people hear cats or dogs are easier... my 2 cats make sure to make my life as difficult as possible. My chams have never costed me thousands in damage, needed walked, leave a mess every morning, etc. Plus the food is expensive. Cat eats inedible objects constantly and destroys baby bottles if they're left out. He got a stomach impaction from ripping the straw out of a christmas decoration and eating it. That cost a ridiculous amount to diagnose/treat. Ahhhh the list goes on.

If she is in the tunnel just leave her alone for now. Don’t worry about misting or food. She needs privacy. She will return to the branches when she is done.

I have no experience with egg bound chams though. @Brodybreaux25
what Do you think they should do here?

Your past the point of no return, do not pull her out. She’s either going to live or die on her own.

Can’t see KY helping, eggbinding is an internal problem. I guarantee her eggs are un-calcified, this makes them “sticky”. So instead of her trying to lay x# of individual eggs she’s now going to be struggling to pass one huge one. Obviously impossible. The lack of calcium also prevents her muscles from contracting properly, meaning she doesn’t have the ability to push. Compound this with the lack of a proper gutload and supplement schedule and she doesn’t stand a chance. She’s got nothing left in the tank to draw from to make this happen, too weak. This is what I meant with my “starving soldier” comment. It’s also why I said to force feed her before putting her in the bin. It would not have helped with the sticky egg part of the problem but undoubtedly helped withe rest.

Was she gaping or trying to drink? Gaping is a sign of egg binding.

Last edited:
I was very concerned about my female not laying all her eggs, I have never bred chameleons before and I love my sweetheart (poppy) I took her outside to sun bask while she ate yesterday, my cat is very easy and very smart, she will kick a ball down the hallway then attack it, she entains herself with her toys, she has lots of toys!! If you are having a hard time with your cat I recommend watching JACKSON GALAXY, that guy is a cat wizard..a severe understatement!!

I was very concerned about my female not laying all her eggs, I have never bred chameleons before and I love my sweetheart (poppy) I took her outside to sun bask while she ate yesterday, my cat is very easy and very smart, she will kick a ball down the hallway then attack it, she entains herself with her toys, she has lots of toys!! If you are having a hard time with your cat I recommend watching JACKSON GALAXY, that guy is a cat wizard..a severe understatement!!

I love my cats lol, they even play fetch and insist on it at times. Just very high energy.

Lol, went right over your head...

Brodyreaux, I get it....etc.. if I have to explain it, yes, I was concerned because I care about her and my lacque of experience breeding, not because of lacque of husbandry, she eats & drinks well my temps and humidity and air flow lighting etc.. is on point and she is very healthy.....the problem with the op is......well his female is going to die, with that happening I do not think getting another is a wise decision, so I recommended getting a cat

Last edited:
Brodyreaux, I get it....etc.. if I have to explain it, yes, I was concerned because I care about her and my lacque of experience breeding, not because of lacque of husbandry, she eats & drinks well my temps and humidity and air flow lighting etc.. is on point and she is very healthy.....the problem with the op is......well his female is going to die, with that happening I do not think getting another is a wise decision, so I recommended getting a cat
Cool, so how did she do? Or is she still gravid?

She laid 21 eggs only 5 were fertile due to mating only once because my male was so aggressive, my male pre ejaculated before mating started, the males have 2 penises, I was hoping he was mating with the other lol..

She laid 21 eggs only 5 were fertile due to mating only once because my male was so aggressive, my male pre ejaculated before mating started, the males have 2 penises, I was hoping he was mating with the other lol..

Wow lol, how close were you to see all that? You must have been in the splash zone!

I watched from about 5 feet away, there is a sheet over my males cage to keep out of line of sight between other chams, I pulled a corner back to see he is in a 5 foot wide cage...I had concerns because I love my chams, the word love is a strong and real word

Last edited:
Your past the point of no return, do not pull her out. She’s either going to live or die on her own.

Can’t see KY helping, eggbinding is an internal problem. I guarantee her eggs are un-calcified, this makes them “sticky”. So instead of her trying to lay x# of individual eggs she’s now going to be struggling to pass one huge one. Obviously impossible. The lack of calcium also prevents her muscles from contracting properly, meaning she doesn’t have the ability to push. Compound this with the lack of a proper gutload and supplement schedule and she doesn’t stand a chance. She’s got nothing left in the tank to draw from to make this happen, too weak. This is what I meant with my “starving soldier” comment. It’s also why I said to force feed her before putting her in the bin. It would not have helped with the sticky egg part of the problem but undoubtedly helped withe rest.

Was she gaping or trying to drink? Gaping is a sign of egg binding.

Brody,
It was a pretty clear drinking action rather than gaping. She was opening her mouth a small amount and I could see the tongue action as she was swallowing. She would only do it when ia was spritzing the mister on her. Looked exactly like my Senegal when he would drink (he preferred direct mist for drinking va droplets from the plants).

Brody,
It was a pretty clear drinking action rather than gaping. She was opening her mouth a small amount and I could see the tongue action as she was swallowing. She would only do it when ia was spritzing the mister on her. Looked exactly like my Senegal when he would drink (he preferred direct mist for drinking va droplets from the plants).
Good, has she made any progress?

She was still in her tunnel this morning (and she drank well again) so I can't tell if she is making any progress. I'm starting to get worried she's going to be too weak to get herself out of the tunnel even if she does finally get the eggs out.

She was still in her tunnel this morning (and she drank well again) so I can't tell if she is making any progress. I'm starting to get worried she's going to be too weak to get herself out of the tunnel even if she does finally get the eggs out.
Anything?

Nothing. She drank this morning but when I misted her this afternoon, she just glanced up and then closed her eyes. Breaks my heart but I think my poor girl is ready to be done.

Back
Top Bottom