Maybe I'm crazy?!?!

TimothyOnTop

Established Member
Maybe I'm crazy but I have been doing a lot of research with actual books on Jackson's chamealons ie I've called several zoos I talked to a reptile expert at the San Diego zoo that got my mind working she told me that vitamins are highly beneficial and seem to have better response when smaller doses are given over a longer period so with normal nutrient schedule for indoor kept Jackson's are with d3 once a month multi vitamin once a month and without d3 the rest of the time I was thinking so I took 4 weeks broken down into 28 days it comes out to with d3 3.5% multi vitamib 3.5% without d3 93% so I was curious if I could make my own supplement mix given every feeding comprised of 93% calcium without d3 3.5% calcium with d3 and 3.5% multi vitamin Just curious on some people's opinions or why this would or wouldn't work thanks in advance

IMO Unless you know how to and what exactly to use and in what ratios you would combine items I would not do this. I am not really sure why you would want to reinvent the wheel either. We have some perfectly great supplement options to choose from. With Jackson's being more supplement sensitive trying to make your own could very well backfire.

I know that there are supplements like you speak of that are an all in one option and these are not used on jacksons at every feeding. Even used on some Veileds or Panthers they have produced edema. Over supplementation can happen with the best of supplements when a chameleon can not handle that load of fat soluble vitamins.

IMO Unless you know how to and what exactly to use and in what ratios you would combine items I would not do this. I am not really sure why you would want to reinvent the wheel either. We have some perfectly great supplement options to choose from. With Jackson's being more supplement sensitive trying to make your own could very well backfire.

I know that there are supplements like you speak of that are an all in one option and these are not used on jacksons at every feeding. Even used on some Veileds or Panthers they have produced edema. Over supplementation can happen with the best of supplements when a chameleon can not handle that load of fat soluble vitamins.
Well i do know exactly what i would use and in exactly what ratios just like my post said but i was just curious about if this has been tried or opinions on why it would or wouldn't work

And as far as the comment not really sure why i would want to reinvent the wheel is ridiculous to me why do cars get nicer why does technology advance why do new reptile supplements come out?

And I'm sure you are well aware of this why do almost all chameleon products in the market need to be modified before use or they are just garbage that shouldn't even be used a walk through my local pet store had me laughing after starting to learn the requirements of these animals most chameleon specific items are a waste of money and can cause major health issues if used

I never once said i was going to do it i would never do anything that foolish i was simply curious if it has been tried or why it would or wouldn't work just a thought

I keep Parsons and have had Panthers, a friend of mine that kept Parsons did kind of what you were saying if I'm following you... a light amount of vita/d3 each day. I do similarly, but not quite as often although I dust with all sorts of randoms. My approach isn't as conventional. I can't say for certain what the best route is, but if you do it wisely I think you should be alright. I'd say it's your call if you feel confident in it.

I keep Parsons and have had Panthers, a friend of mine that kept Parsons did kind of what you were saying if I'm following you... a light amount of vita/d3 each day. I do similarly, but not quite as often although I dust with all sorts of randoms. My approach isn't as conventional. I can't say for certain what the best route is, but if you do it wisely I think you should be alright. I'd say it's your call if you feel confident in it.
My thought was since we give them d3 3 5% of the time and multi vitamin 3.5% of the time and calcium without d3 97% of the time i was thinking making a mix 3.5% calcium with d3 3.5% multi vitamin and 93% calcium without d3 and using it at every feeding

Back
Top Bottom