(Maybe) Getting a Baby!

GoodKarma19

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've been feeling a little bummed about the whole Karma situation, and a friend of mine who's been humoring my newfound chameleon obsession brought a fairly nearby breeder (Chronic Chameleons in BC) to my attention. I started stalking Lisa's (the breeder's) FaceBook page the other day and peppering her with questions, and instantly fell in love with one of her Ankaramy panther studs, (pink) Floyd!

FB_IMG_1552626526108.jpg

I'm not entirely sold yet, but I'm very excited nonetheless by the prospect! Just knowing there's a breeder within reasonable distance is awesome to know, and she seems like a good sort of person. I'm not sure if I agree with all of her practices, but understand it from a marketing standpoint (i.e. showing Panthers to eachother to encourage them to fire up). From talking to her, i believe that it's only for photo ops, and not the norm. My only other immediate concern was the lack of opaque siding between enclosures, but the animals don't seem bothered due to the line of sight being largely broken up by foliage. I feel I don't know nearly enough about keeping multiple chams/breeding to have too much of an opinion, though I'll ask her about it!

Part of me thinks I should feel a little bad for immediately looking into another cham when my boy's still breathing (though barely :( ), but Karma has reignited my passion for reptiles and I want nothing more than to give one of these fantastic creatures a good home. I have a lot of dedication and love available to share!

In any case, the current clutch (F1 Ankaramy) sired by Floyd is just starting to hatch out now, and won't be ready to go to their new homes late July/early August. If I do decide to take the plunge, I'd have lots of time to get my bioactive build all squared away and ensure all of my ducks are in a row!

Nothing's final yet, but no one I know gets the passion of the hobby like you guys here at the forum and I'm too excited not to share! :D

~Amanda

I think it is wonderful Amanda! No reason at all to feel bad. This will allow you to have something to look forward to. You took on Karma with the hopes of getting him back to 100% and his little body is just so damage from all the improper care that he is not able to live a quality chameleon life. If he could have recovered then you would see it by now as this journey of trying to ease his discomfort has been long.
I think it is really exciting that you are looking into the prospect of a new healthy baby. One that you can have a real experience with and give an amazing life to. We sure would hate for you to leave the community. You are valued and loved here. You will have to start a new thread on your habitat and add wonderful baby pics as you get them!

I think it is wonderful Amanda! No reason at all to feel bad. This will allow you to have something to look forward to. You took on Karma with the hopes of getting him back to 100% and his little body is just so damage from all the improper care that he is not able to live a quality chameleon life. If he could have recovered then you would see it by now as this journey of trying to ease his discomfort has been long.
I think it is really exciting that you are looking into the prospect of a new healthy baby. One that you can have a real experience with and give an amazing life to. We sure would hate for you to leave the community. You are valued and loved here. You will have to start a new thread on your habitat and add wonderful baby pics as you get them!

Thank you! I'm definitely not going anywhere - I've gotten attached to you guys haha! Guess you're stuck with me now. :p And believe me, there will be many pictures as I get things together, and even more once I have more news about the baby/I have him home! I'm definitely getting more and more sold on the idea as I think about it, and Lisa has been fabulous and patient with my badgering. I'm really looking forward to having a healthy baby that I don't have to stress about (as much!) and can enjoy having around!

I have a few things on order from Northern Gecko (including 15lbs of assorted cork), so I should be able to start constructing things soon(tm). I think I'll order the terrarium itself within the next month (bills permitting haha!), and continue my research into bioactive set ups. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I have all of the parts together!

The support here is wonderful to have, and I appreciate all of you! :love:

~Amanda

I'm officially on the wait list for an F1 male Ankaramy from the Pink Floyd x Bubblegum pairing, and will have first pick once the little fellas are old enough! :love::love::D Hopefully I'll have more news soon! Now, to think of some names... :unsure:
OHHHHH Yayyyyyyy are you going to be able to go there in person to pick out one or are you doing it by picture? I dunno about a name.... I will think on this lol.

(Ringo) starr, the stud name of the dad is (pink) floyd

Haha I like it!! I'm definitely
leaning toward either a musically inspired name (to honor the sire) or a candy (to honor the dam, Bubblegum)! :D

OHHHHH Yayyyyyyy are you going to be able to go there in person to pick out one or are you doing it by picture? I dunno about a name.... I will think on this lol.

I'm probably going to pick by picture, but who knows! I might be able to make my way down at some point. I'd love to pick a baby in person, though! I was looking through pictures of the last clutch from this pairing, and oh my lord they're so sweet!! :love:

Happy to hear any name suggestions as they come! A couple random names that have popped up so far are: (Candy) Floss, (Everlasting) Gobstopper, and (A Boy Named) Sue. :p

Currently in the running for names are: Ringo (Starr), Freddy (Mercury), (Trent) Reznor, and (Sweeney) Todd, as well as Erik, Raoul, and Leroux (all The Phantom of the Opera). It's less musically related, but I also like (John) Cleese - I have a Monty, after all!

I likely won't have a concrete idea until I have my little guy, but I love compiling names! It always hypes me up. :D

Back
Top Bottom