May Sell Custom Enclosure

JoCarp

Established Member
So this is a very sad post, but my panther Merlin passed away. He fought a bacterial infection that cost him his sight for around 6 months and finally ran out of fight. I built this to be his mansion, and now that he's gone I'm really bummed out and don't know if I even want to put a different cham in Merlin's enclosure. It was always supposed to be his as stupid as that sounds.

Anyway, I have way more time and money and money in it than I could get out of it, but I figured if someone else could give their cham a great home that's a pretty good consolation. These pics are somewhat old so it's come along a little since they were taken, but didn't know if anyone had suggestions as to trying to sell something like this as I doubt it's shippable (it is very, very heavy) and I'm in Kansas so not a huge chameleon community. Anyway, I'll put it up here and see if anyone is interested here or elsewhere.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jordan

Attachments

• Med outside pic.JPG
    Med outside pic.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Med inside branches.JPG
    Med inside branches.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 168
  • wire mesh.JPG
    wire mesh.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 166
Oh and it is set up for lights, mist system including drainage etc. Let me know if there are questions and if you all even think it's worth trying to sell.

Thanks

If you can find someone near you and REALLY want to sell it, I think you could get a decent price for it and make someone elses chameleon or reptile in general very happy. But how long ago did Merlin pass? You might want to wait a bit... give yourself time to grieve his loss, before you decide to sell it. I am sure if chameleons could speak their minds, he wouldn't mind someone else having a cage that was meant for him. I mean he never got to claim it as his own if I remember correctly. So his territorial side would never come into play. Maybe just wait a bit.

Other than that I am sorry for you and your loss of Merlin. I am fighting something similar with my panther Ryker... except I don't think it's bacterial because liquid vitamin A doses twice a month are helping and I am keeping him going by oral liquid feedings at the moment. Three doses in and he is showing signs of sight return. I was hoping Merlin would get his sight back as well. *sighs* Don't give up yet. Before deciding give yourself a solid few months to grieve. It can take a lot out of people to lose someone so important to them.

If you can find someone near you and REALLY want to sell it, I think you could get a decent price for it and make someone elses chameleon or reptile in general very happy. But how long ago did Merlin pass? You might want to wait a bit... give yourself time to grieve his loss, before you decide to sell it. I am sure if chameleons could speak their minds, he wouldn't mind someone else having a cage that was meant for him. I mean he never got to claim it as his own if I remember correctly. So his territorial side would never come into play. Maybe just wait a bit.

Other than that I am sorry for you and your loss of Merlin. I am fighting something similar with my panther Ryker... except I don't think it's bacterial because liquid vitamin A doses twice a month are helping and I am keeping him going by oral liquid feedings at the moment. Three doses in and he is showing signs of sight return. I was hoping Merlin would get his sight back as well. *sighs* Don't give up yet. Before deciding give yourself a solid few months to grieve. It can take a lot out of people to lose someone so important to them.

I appreciate the kind words, and I know I'm being silly about thinking of it as "Merlin's cage." We shall see, another factor is there is a good chance that I'll start traveling for work more often, potentially a few times a month versus a few times a year. So I thought about getting back into snakes, maybe a jungle carpet or Dominican red mountain boa just since they take a lot less attention.

I'll keep Ryker in my thoughts and prayers, I do enjoy the pictures of him you put up even though I haven't been on much in a while. I'm really glad to hear that he's starting to show some improvement. My vet suggested feeding his feeder insects mashed sweet potato and carrots to try to boost vitamin A. Just figured I'd mention that for when Ryker is back on a normal diet.

Well, I live in Cincinnati, so it's a bit of a shipment, but how tall is it, exactly? How much are you considering selling it for?

To be honest I really don't know what I would sell it for, I paid $200 for the armoire alone and the great stuff pond and stone is like $7-8 a can and I think I used 14 on top of all the other supplies (which is why I know I'm not making money on it haha). It is ~4'w X 2'd X 7' tall. I know the interior cage section is basically 4x4x2 deep.

If I was near by I'd buy it in a heart beat but what Andee said was right when you have some time and perspective you may want to put your hard earned knowledge in to another cham travel permitting.
Condolences on your loss.

You could always buy an arboreal snake that you could use the cage with. And no I don't think it's silly to think of it as "Merlin's cage" I just think you might be a bit hasty with this because of emotions. Let it settle a bit, and then if you still think about it this way in a month or two, then I totally support the selling of it.

I am definitely glad I decided to document Ryker's progress, I am hoping with any chameleons who have future issues that are similar to our boys, it can at least help maybe. Keep breathing and keep your head up. The pain will get better, and soon you will be able to remember the better times with your baby.

What a beautiful enclosure you have there. It's a work of art. Anyone would be proud to own that. But I have to agree with many here. Wait it out for a while. Your work issues aside, you may feel differently about it a few weeks down the road. Maybe you don't get a Cham, maybe you do. If you decide to sell it will be with a clear mind and not one that is heartbroken of the loss you just had. Sorry to hear you lost Merlin.

So this is a very sad post, but my panther Merlin passed away. He fought a bacterial infection that cost him his sight for around 6 months and finally ran out of fight. I built this to be his mansion, and now that he's gone I'm really bummed out and don't know if I even want to put a different cham in Merlin's enclosure. It was always supposed to be his as stupid as that sounds.

Anyway, I have way more time and money and money in it than I could get out of it, but I figured if someone else could give their cham a great home that's a pretty good consolation. These pics are somewhat old so it's come along a little since they were taken, but didn't know if anyone had suggestions as to trying to sell something like this as I doubt it's shippable (it is very, very heavy) and I'm in Kansas so not a huge chameleon community. Anyway, I'll put it up here and see if anyone is interested here or elsewhere.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jordan

When my Ferdinand died, I gave some serious thought to throwing away his custom enclosure - I just couldn't stand looking at the empty cage. I moved it to the garage for awhile. I wasn't sure I could ever have another chameleon. After awhile, I felt a little better and eventually decided that while I couldn't get another Jax, I did want another cham. I actually had fun pulling the cage out and sprucing it up for Buckminster. I'm glad I kept it even though I was so upset.

Give it some time. Put it away or set it up with really beautiful plants. It would be a great setup for a glorious air plant or bromeliad viv. If in 6 months or a year, you are ready to get rid of it, you can trust your feels more then. It's a beautiful enclosure. If you get rid of it too soon, you'll regret it.

Sorry to hear about Merlin :(

I am so sorry for your loss of Merlin. May his loving memories live on in your heart forever. I also agree with everyone else about your gorgeous enclosure. Give it time and then decide if you would like another chameleon or like you said perhaps a snake.

Back
Top Bottom