Many problems with him

Crabby

My chameleon, keeps falling from his cage and idk if that because he can't get a good grip on the mesh or if it's something else, he is also a dark colour all the time and will sometimes open his mouth and let out a hiss even if no one is there. He has slowed down on eating and won't eat as much as he used too, I'm rly worried about him pls help, also anyone in the UK near Manchester area can u provide me with some good places that have large plants because I can't find any and all of him plants are close to the bottom

There could be many possible issues. Please fill out the form below so we can properly help you. Please provide as much info as possible. And add pictures.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male, veiled chameleon and for a few months
  • Handling - Rarely as he is aggressive and i dont wanna stress him out too much
  • Feeding - black crickets, crickets, locusts, mealworms, Mori worms
  • Supplements - calcium pro-Mg and have just started using repti calcium without d3
  • Watering - in his new big cage i haven't seen him drink as he doesn't go down that much near his plants, so daily i will give him a few crickets in a tub that have been sprayed with water and i also will spray water into his mouth while eating (not always). i know its not the best way but he doesn't go down to the bottom of his cage and the water evaporates quickly.
  • Fecal Description - seems to be normal and healthy
  • History - purchased from a petshop

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen, i base is 60x60 and height is 180 cm
  • Lighting - 9 till 9 with a uvb strip
  • Temperature - because its screen its hard to keep the temp up but usually around 24 to 26 during the day and 22 ,23 during the night
  • Humidity - digital hydrometer and can range from 30 to 60 but is hard to keep stable because of the mesh and lack of plants because too much watering is starting to kill the plants that i do have
  • Plants - all live plants
  • Placement - on the floor in the corner of my room

Attachments

• Snapchat-1153090594.jpg
    Snapchat-1153090594.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Snapchat-2022120463.jpg
    Snapchat-2022120463.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Snapchat-1642951722.jpg
    Snapchat-1642951722.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 73
  • Snapchat-594875303.jpg
    Snapchat-594875303.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 75
he is brightly coloured now because he was sleeping

Attachments

• Snapchat-1737259752.jpg
    Snapchat-1737259752.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Snapchat-588896467.jpg
    Snapchat-588896467.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 66
  • Snapchat-1735920908.jpg
    Snapchat-1735920908.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 69
What's in the supplement you've been using? Can you post s photo of the ingredients.

You said..."daily i will give him a few crickets in a tub that have been sprayed with water and i also will spray water into his mouth while eating"...how does the supplement stay on the crickets if you're spraying them with water?
What color are his urates?
Spraying water into his mouth is not so good idea...he may aspirate it and that will be a problem.

As was already said by @8675309 ...you need more cover at the top of the cage.

How can he bask under the light when it's so far way from him?

Last edited:
There needs to be a lot more coverage in the cage, if he is always a dark color and hisses a lot maybe he is stressed bc there aren’t enough hiding spots.
Yeah I know, if u know any places in the UK near the Manchester area that can provide big plants for the cage then thst would be great but I haven't managed to find any

If you cannot get ahold of large plants hanging/mounting the smaller ones will help with coverage. Dragon strand ledges or bamboo trellises can help support planters. Fake plant vines on the outside of your cage can help too. Your cage height can also be causing stress for your little one, raising it a few feet off the floor would be best. More branches will be great so your chameleon get hide behind the plants you raise. Depending on your bulb strength you may need to adjust the basking branch. Kinyonga had some really good questions for you and is one of the forum experts, please reply ASAP. Hope this helps ☺️

So in the UK there are 3 places I know of that do reptile plants that are ready to go straight into the cage and I know 2 of these do Yemen bundles. Evolving exotics is fast becoming the go to for the plants, the website is still getting up and running but Facebook seems to be the place they are most active. Buzzard reptiles is another one that is well known. Global geckos also do them. I think the Reptile centre also do them but not 100% sure.

If you buy from these then they can go straight into the cage as they have been grown specifically for reptiles and the soil is the correct type of soil with no fertiliser balls etc in there.

If you buy from a garden centre, B&Q etc then you will have to repot the plants and wash of most of the soil on the root ball as well as thoroughly washing the plant itself, to remove any pesticides and chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom