Mantis sexing

Lessy78

I have hatched a mantis egg and fed off to my veiled over the past 8 weeks. I saved 2 to raise as pets and was wondering how do u sex them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 223
Segments are for sure a way. Once they are full grown it is pretty obvious. The female is so much bigger and her abdomen not only has less segments, but is huge compared to his. She will be much bigger. The one you have pictured has a ways to grow still.

After closer inspection both are female , can't wait to see them with wings , hope the survive the last molt , fingers crossed

After closer inspection both are female , can't wait to see them with wings , hope the survive the last molt , fingers crossed

just a quick tip: a small bit of wet paper towel in its container keeps the humidity up and helps prevent problems during molting

This seems realitivly simple considering you can buy them at most garden shops, but would it be ok for any Cham to eat a mantis? If so I'm probably going to get some and slowly feed them to my jacksons. Any tips on keeping/raising them?

This seems realitivly simple considering you can buy them at most garden shops, but would it be ok for any Cham to eat a mantis? If so I'm probably going to get some and slowly feed them to my jacksons. Any tips on keeping/raising them?

My Jackson loves mantids. They are sort of a pain to raise. I keep them in the large deli cups with some twigs in them. I mist daily or every other day w water and feed daily or every other day with appropriately sized flies, crickets, roaches etc. The large adult Chinese are in screen enclosures or large critter keepers. You have to house therm separately as they will eat each other very quickly.

I have a extra ten gal aquarium that I was thinking I could use. If I split it into sections do you think that would be alright to separate them out in? I have a bunch of storage bins in all sizes too that would probably work. Is there any fruits or veggies that they could eat? Or mainly crickets?

theyre easy enough to hatch out and used as feeders pretty frequently, each ooth produces anywhere from 50-300 mantids depending on the species. Theyre highly cannibalistic and are hard to keep together without a lot of space, but some people use that as an effective way to thin out the numbers. Keep them together till theyre reduced to a manageable number, then separate them into their own little containers (5oz deli cups w/ holes in the lid work well). They eat a lot and will need a steady supply of feeder insects as they grow (starting with fruit flies or pinheads, and eventually eating things as large as dubia or full grown crickets). Humidity is important for molting, too little or too much and they wont be able to molt properly

not sure what the nutritional value is though

I have a extra ten gal aquarium that I was thinking I could use. If I split it into sections do you think that would be alright to separate them out in? I have a bunch of storage bins in all sizes too that would probably work. Is there any fruits or veggies that they could eat? Or mainly crickets?

Might be difficult to manage. They can climb glass no problem and will be making a break for it every time you open the lid. They just eat insects. My ghost mantid's also like this honey mixture I get online, but the Chinese didn't care about it.,

Storage bins would work if they have a screen top or similar as the mantids like to hang upside down from the lid.

My jacksons isn't even a year old yet so I won't be feeding her full grown mantids that eat dubias. She will probably be eating them when they are 3/4 to 1" inch long at most, so probably fruit flys and pinheads :D I'm defiantly going to try this out and see how it goes

theyre easy enough to hatch out and used as feeders pretty frequently, each ooth produces anywhere from 50-300 mantids depending on the species. Theyre highly cannibalistic and are hard to keep together without a lot of space, but some people use that as an effective way to thin out the numbers. Keep them together till theyre reduced to a manageable number, then separate them into their own little containers (5oz deli cups w/ holes in the lid work well). They eat a lot and will need a steady supply of feeder insects as they grow (starting with fruit flies or pinheads, and eventually eating things as large as dubia or full grown crickets). Humidity is important for molting, too little or too much and they wont be able to molt properly

not sure what the nutritional value is though

After my egg hatched I put all the baby's in a critter keeper, I think it was a 4 gallon , I fed my veiled a mix of mantids and crickets for a while , the mantids will eat each other so I would feed them a pile of fruit flys every second day or when there were no flys in the bin , my veiled loves mantids , every time I take one out to feed him he locks on it right away and if it happens to get away he hunts it down , I love the fact the you can buy the eggs from Costco and Home Depot ,$12 per egg

Back
Top Bottom