Mantis homing instinct ?

little leaf

Avid Member
do mantis have a "homing instinct" - I started a breeding area for my mantis, but they hatched in a screen cage by the area I keep my outdoor chams, then I moved them about 200 yards away to their own big screen area , it was netted, and kept them all in UNTIL a big storm came, and a tree fell on it about 3 weeks ago- they were going to be for next yrs feeders, but these were breeders, not feeders, - for some reason, they all have death wishes ! they seem to have come back to the free range area, and are getting picked off faster than I can save them - Olive has eaten about all of them now- :mad: and they are getting so big I am afraid one will rip her eyes out :eek: is there any way other than re caging them to keep them away from this area or will they keep coming back because that is their hatching place?

Mantids will come to light at night, so if you have any houselights or outside lights you can turn off, that might help...or you could out a BRIGHT light out and catch them as they come to the light.:D

Mantids will come to light at night, so if you have any houselights or outside lights you can turn off, that might help...or you could out a BRIGHT light out and catch them as they come to the light.:D

well, I may just have to catch them all before there are none left- I did not know they come to light at night- thanks for the info- there are no lights at night by the chams- but I will set up a light by the original breeding area to see if I can get them to go back there - thanks for the help :) I am so sad they are being eaten so fast - one would come every time I fed the babies, and I would give it a crix almost every AM - then Olive ATE HIM :mad: :( :mad:

Back
Top Bottom