mantid care and oothes????

Ace

Avid Member
i am new to properly caring mantids and the oothes

just thought if i can get advice on what species to start as a beginner and possibly breed to make another common staple for my cham:)

and also any ideas where to purchase oothes and mantids from???

Do a quick search on the forum. This question has been asked many times. Mantids arent very productive staples, but most people go with chinese since they are so cheap.

As far as breeding/raising mantids, it's a difficult task rearing them. I just purchased 2 mantis ooth from a forum member. If your interest is using the feeders for baby chameleons, they are very beneficial. They hatch out- you feed the nymphs to baby chameleons. But if you are wanting to breed them to feed to adult chameleons, you'll go through a ton of feeder insects for the mantids before they reach a size that is worth feeding them to adults. Mantids will eat up some fruit flies or baby crickets. A single ooth can hatch up to 300 mantis nymphs. You'll need to raise a feeder insect to feed to your feeder insect. Kinda counter intuitive.

this is exactly how i got into mantis and why i have a room full of them. it started out as feeders and quickly turned into pets. now i cant get enough of these interesting creatures.

as far as feeders go Chinese mantis would be the ones you are looking for. jdog is right about breeding. it would be better to just buy the ooths which go for $5 than to breed. rearing is pretty straightforward but with mantis being cannibalistic you have to separate them from each other else you have one healthy full individual.:p

check out the mantid forums.

this is exactly how i got into mantis and why i have a room full of them. it started out as feeders and quickly turned into pets. now i cant get enough of these interesting creatures.

as far as feeders go Chinese mantis would be the ones you are looking for. jdog is right about breeding. it would be better to just buy the ooths which go for $5 than to breed. rearing is pretty straightforward but with mantis being cannibalistic you have to separate them from each other else you have one healthy full individual.:p

check out the mantid forums.

thx:) i just registered actually:p

do you happen to know where i can find some chinese mantid oothes for sale???

The mantid forum is a good place to check out, awesome info and breeders there. Ghost are also good to try out they aren't as cannabalistic and are a little smaller then the chinese I think

post in the mantid for sale/wanted and you will usually get a quick response.

if you want some nymphs i believe SSimsswiSS had some recently. local guy too.

you will have to post an intro before you post anywhere else. just a tip so your other posts wont get pulled.

I can bring some to next SBCK meeting. I had like 12 at the last meeting and they went quick. Maybe I should bring 20 + to Feb. meeting.

Back
Top Bottom