Male vs Female?

Incognito

My male seems to eat almost 3-4 times more than my female. Both Jacksons and the male is 6 months and female is 4 months. Normal? or is my girl not getting enough?? He can eat 9 crickets to her 2 . . .

Yes Maam - at least thats all I SEE! I try to to keep a pretty a pretty close eye on them but after feeding I feel like she hasnt got enough and usually leave 2-3 in there just incase she is shy about eating in front of me

Yes Maam - at least thats all I SEE! I try to to keep a pretty a pretty close eye on them but after feeding I feel like she hasnt got enough and usually leave 2-3 in there just incase she is shy about eating in front of me

2 crix a day is definitely not enough. At 4 months old I believe she should be eating 10-15 crix a day. You have only had them a short while I believe, right? It could be her trying to adjust. Are they being cup fed? This way you would know the exact number she is eating a day. Is she drinking ok?

I have tried both cup feeding and letting them hunt. They both prefer to see thier crickets walking about the cage but my male will cup feed where as my female will not. I have had them 4 days now. She is drinking, she darts her tounge at water that drops down the mesh screen. She just seems to have no desire to go looking for them. She prefers if they walk right up to her and then she will eat them. I tryed putting them close to her or putting the cup where she hangs out. She just acts like after the 2 she wants to go back to hanging out and couldn't care less. I seem to have alot of issues with her and none with my male. I think this must be why she was free...

I have tried both cup feeding and letting them hunt. They both prefer to see thier crickets walking about the cage but my male will cup feed where as my female will not. I have had them 4 days now. She is drinking, she darts her tounge at water that drops down the mesh screen. She just seems to have no desire to go looking for them. She prefers if they walk right up to her and then she will eat them. I tryed putting them close to her or putting the cup where she hangs out. She just acts like after the 2 she wants to go back to hanging out and couldn't care less. I seem to have alot of issues with her and none with my male. I think this must be why she was free...

I would stick with the cup feeding. It may be that she is having trouble finding the crix. She will eventually get the hang of cup feeding, I assure you. Don't expect her to sit and eat all the crix in one sitting...she will probably graze throughout the day. I would put a dozen crix in the cup, leave her alone (don't watch her) and then at her bedtime misting check the cup, count them, and remove what is left. It will take at least a few days for her to catch on, but she will. In the meantime, can you offer her some silkworms?

Also, what size are the crix?

My male seems to eat almost 3-4 times more than my female. Both Jacksons and the male is 6 months and female is 4 months. Normal? or is my girl not getting enough?? He can eat 9 crickets to her 2 . . .

I'm with you!! BUT I have two females (one i'm still undecided about it being a female) anyway one which is about 3-4 times bigger then the other eats about 6 out of my hand and i put about 5or6 more in the cup a few will jump out and it hunt them down, my other is not much bigger then she was when i got her(orhim:)) and she wont eat out of my hand so i cup feed so that i know if she eating I put crickets in there however when i go to check at night to turn the light off there would still be about 6 of the 8 in there take them out put them back in the next day still 6 left so i thought she had some something about crickets so I went back to pheonix worms (what she was being fed at store) she eats about 5 of those a day so i feel like I over feed one and starve the other

I am going to go to the store soon as I can get the car from my husband and try to get some silkworms. My only problem is that the store only has dead ones not live and I read on here thats not good for them? And I can't get any shipped in because of state laws... I caught a few flies earlier and put them in while they were sunning this afternoon but no luck with that either. The crickets are small between 1/4 and 3/8 inch long? I got a batch of the smaller size because I wanted to go on the smaller size of the width of her mouth than the larger width of the males mouth.

I am going to go to the store soon as I can get the car from my husband and try to get some silkworms. My only problem is that the store only has dead ones not live and I read on here thats not good for them? And I can't get any shipped in because of state laws... I caught a few flies earlier and put them in while they were sunning this afternoon but no luck with that either. The crickets are small between 1/4 and 3/8 inch long? I got a batch of the smaller size because I wanted to go on the smaller size of the width of her mouth than the larger width of the males mouth.

1/4 inch should be plenty small enough... I would give the silkworms a try. They have to be alive. Chams won't eat a dead worm anyhow. Don't put the silkies in the cup...continue putting the crix in there...just stick the silks on a branch, they will stay there. I'm going through the same thing with my 3 month old male RB Ambilobe panther. He won't eat his crix, from the cup, or otherwise. I've had him a week or so. I just keep trying, and set a couple crix free in his enclosure, and stick some silks on a branch...he will eat those....stubborn little chams...:rolleyes:

I will do some research and see if i can find someone who sells them live - all i have found are the dead frozen ones thus far :( they are stubburn but i am more so lol

Back
Top Bottom