Male veiled chameleon with dark tip of the tail

Update.

Jango got his tail amputated about 3 weeks ago.
His tail didn't recover from the infection.
not exactly what caused the infection but he is recovering well.
Eating well but still is adapting to balancing with his shorter tail.
Here are some pictures before and after surgery.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image_123927839.JPG
    image_123927839.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 40
Looks like they got the growth removed off his lower lip too. Gladd he is healing. Might have to put in extra branches for him so he has more grip surfaces closer together.

Update. My chameleon has Had a couple of falls and looks like he injured his tail again after surgery.

He also has been holding his arms with his legs no sure why. Maybe in pain? here are some pictures of his tail.

When I got his stitches out from his tail, the vet gave me a topical antibiotic so I have been applying that For 2 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_9669.jpeg
    IMG_9669.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9668.jpeg
    IMG_9668.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 34
Update. My chameleon has Had a couple of falls and looks like he injured his tail again after surgery.

He also has been holding his arms with his legs no sure why. Maybe in pain? here are some pictures of his tail.

When I got his stitches out from his tail, the vet gave me a topical antibiotic so I have been applying that For 2 weeks.
The black part on the top of the tail was that where they did surgery?

Can you go over your supplements and how often you use them, the lighting your using, and post a picture of the entire cage from the lights down for me please?

They finished the surgery but I think he had a fall and got a little cut that got infected. This a a bit higher than where he did the surgery.

Zoomed 75 WATT basking bulb
Zoomed LED and UVB light fixture combo. With T5 5.0
Just changed UVB.

Fluker's Calcium Reptile Supplement with added Vitamin D3 Twice a week​

RepCal 0 D3 Calcium No Phosphorus No Vitamin D3
every feeding​

fed 4 times a week about 2-3 dubia roaches.

I can take a picture of his cage right now but here is his cage. Im still using the same equipment.​

Thanks!​

Attachments

• IMG_1063.jpeg
    IMG_1063.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 36
They finished the surgery but I think he had a fall and got a little cut that got infected. This a a bit higher than where he did the surgery.

Just changed UVB.

RepCal 0 D3 Calcium No Phosphorus No Vitamin D3​

every feeding​

I can take a picture of his cage right now but here is his cage. Im still using the same equipment.​

Thanks!​

Howdy! So I see a couple issues...

You should not have ANY red lights in the cage. That really messes with their eyes. Do you turn the heat/red lights off at night?

Also, hopefully that's a typo, but you want to supplement twice a *month* not twice a week.

He also looks rather close to the top of the cage, and therefore close to the lights and heat - you should have about 9" of distance between lights and the topmost branch. And a 75 watt basking bulb that close makes me wonder if his temps might be a bit too high. What's the temperature at his basking spot? I have to wonder if the injury on his tail is somehow a thermal burn....? Beman should have some good input too.

Oh yes sorry twice a month. I didn’t know about the red leds but I will turn that off. I will be doing a whole cage rework, so I will keep that in mine. The vet told me they like 95 degrees Fahrenheit. But I heard that, that is too high. Mine is around the 90 degree.

Just changed UVB.

RepCal 0 D3 Calcium No Phosphorus No Vitamin D3​

every feeding​

Thanks!​

Ok no red lights at all. switch it to all white LED if it has the option. Temps are too hot drop them back to 85. He can get far too close to the heat fixture which would be higher risk for thermal burns. The reason why I am asking about the place on the tail is that looks more like a thermal burn than injury. Because if you look the spines on the top are gone. And there is black to the skin. Another possibility is there is an infection there and it is dying off. Both would need to be seen by a vet.

Now for supplements you want a multivitamin with D3 and vitamin A. Like repashy calcium plus LoD version. Or flukers makes a multivitamin as well I believe it is called flukers reptivitamin. That one also has d3 and A. You would only give the multivitamin 2 times a month say the 1st or the 15th. D3 and vitamin A are fat soluble so they store in the body so you do not want to supplement more than two times a month with these. Then all other feedings you would do calcium without D3.

Now for the UVB lighting. Is that the light you have running at the very back of the cage? This really needs to be pulled forward and you want a branch below it. The branch should be 8-9 inches below the uvb fixture with the fixture sitting on the screen and the 5.0 strength bulb.

The grabbing of the arms could very well be from incorrect positioning of the UVB. He just is not able to access it the way he needs. Could also be from the D3 being given too often. May be a combo of both as well.

Back
Top Bottom