Male Veiled Chameleon question

MikeyLikesIt004

I have a male veiled chameleon about 1 1/2 years old.
2 days ago, his full casque (cone on his head) fell off.
He is still acting pretty normally, a bit darker in color maybe; but other than that, normal. My local reptile store smart guy has never even heard of it.
The spot on his head where the casque used to be is a light brown/purple color.
Anyone know what is going on with him?

off as in ALL the way off or off as in part of it fell off??

from what i have heard their casque is like a camel's hump, they store excess stuff in it

(i could be completely wrong on this, some random guy told me this and it seemed viable)

ouch. please take pictures and fill out this form to help more qualified people further diagnose what is wrong.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

He is still acting pretty normally, a bit darker in color maybe; but other than that, normal. My local reptile store smart guy has never even heard of it.

We need pictures.

From the sheer description, i am not even sure if I want to see a picture of this.
I have never heard such extremes happened in my history of taking care of chameleons.

If he is actually as bad as what you describe in the post, I think vet is your only option.

Otherwise, I would incline on thinking that someone is playing a horrible prank on you (attaching a fake casque on the chameleon and claim it as veiled).

Otherwise, I would incline on thinking that someone is playing a horrible prank on you (attaching a fake casque on the chameleon and claim it as veiled).

At this point that would be your best hope.
Cruel yes, but better than the alternative

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! go the the vet now!!!!!!!!!! emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the hell

emo-smiley25.gif
ROTFL , Monty pythons 'dead parrot' sketch, eat your heart out !!!
emo-rofl.gif

Psssst! Anyone wanna buy a Casque?

c'mon, you cant be serious, there would be horrendous bleeding, it would go into shock and die. The casque is not 'attached' its part of the chams skull!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/veiled-chameleon-casque-8416/

specimen.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds to me like it was an old burn that finally sloughed off. If everything has healed underneath and there is no open sores, scabs, pus, oozing or other nasties... I'm not sure if I'd consider it an emergency or not.

Obviously pics will help. A trip to a vet will allievate all your fears MikeyLikes and double check your basking spot temperatures. Chameleons don't realize they are getting burned until it's too late.

Good luck with your critter.
Trace

Thanks everyone for your help. I have spoken to several vets and he is scheduled for an appt. to one tomorrow. There are several issues that we have decided may be the cause...but I will keep you updated so that you will know exactly what the problem is just in case any of you come across it.

Once again, thanks!

take a pic of your chameleon, Mike.
Is it really the whole casque fell off?
as you can see from Jojackson's pic, the casque is actually attached to the skull.

I have a feeling it wasn't the whole cask or this is some prank post. (no pictures and no reply?)

Is it really the whole casque fell off?
as you can see from Jojackson's pic, the casque is actually attached to the skull.

This guy was presented to me with deep burns on his casque, occipatal lobes, elbows and knees and along his spine from sitting to close to his basking light. The burns eventually healed with a course of oral and topical antibiotics but unfortunately the tissues were dead and eventually sloughed off. So yes, while the casque is attached to the skull, through burns and injuries it can "fall off"

The rescued calyptratus from back in the day. Circa 1999.

113-1316.jpg

113-1321.jpg

Mikey, I'm glad you are taking your chameleon to a doctor... please keep us posted on the results.

Cheers,
t

Back
Top Bottom