Male Veiled Chameleon Diet

Okay I’ll take note of that and try to go grab one of those bulbs, I really appreciate it thank you so much! And as for the RI with the cage, what are things I should do to prevent that? Being if I want to keep the cage I have now.

Man, I really thought the vivarium I went to would have all of the correct setups and tips being that I was a beginner! The vivarium is a old, well rated place that seemed like they had experienced people but of course the two people I spoke with in the process gave me all of the wrong info! They told me I needed ventilation but recommended the one with only mesh on the top. They told me meal worms were okay for everyday meals which they aren’t! I’m glad I’m receiving help from outside sources. Thanks again.
Yep so a regular incandescent nothing with a higher wattage then probably 60 for that enclosure and make sure it is not an LED bulb. And I just want to make sure the bulb that is in the hood for UVB that is a long tube right not a screw in bulb?

You might as well start looking into a bigger enclosure. Little guy is going to grow out of that one within the next 2 months. You will need a 2ftx2ftx4ft tall one. Screen is typically better. We have additional tricks for maintaining humidity with screen cages. You can do a zoomed cage, build your own, or do a dragonstrand enclosure. Those are a bit nicer with the drip pans and dragon ledges they have.

Most people are told the wrong thing.

If you want a complete check of everything.... Fill out this form with as much detail as possible and we will all look it over.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Yep so a regular incandescent nothing with a higher wattage then probably 60 for that enclosure and make sure it is not an LED bulb. And I just want to make sure the bulb that is in the hood for UVB that is a long tube right not a screw in bulb?

You might as well start looking into a bigger enclosure. Little guy is going to grow out of that one within the next 2 months. You will need a 2ftx2ftx4ft tall one. Screen is typically better. We have additional tricks for maintaining humidity with screen cages. You can do a zoomed cage, build your own, or do a dragonstrand enclosure. Those are a bit nicer with the drip pans and dragon ledges they have.

If you want a complete check of everything.... Fill out this form with as much detail as possible and we will all look it over.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
I will fill out that info in just a bit, I’m almost home. And bad news, they told me to get the screw in UVB! I’ll make sure to send a picture and get all the information filled out ASAP.

Exo Terra glass enclosures are fine, they have window ventilation at the front. Are those fake plants? Also, don't use substrate unless you're gonna make it bioactive
Yes they are fake plants, they told me those would be fine for the chameleon at that vivarium that told me all this wrong info. and Also, the substrate is the soil, correct? Or is it the moss as well?

I will fill out that info in just a bit, I’m almost home. And bad news, they told me to get the screw in UVB! I’ll make sure to send a picture and get all the information filled out ASAP.
Ok so you will end up needing to upgrade that as well. :(

Yes they are fake plants, they told me those would be fine for the chameleon at that vivarium that told me all this wrong info. and Also, the substrate is the soil, correct? Or is it the moss as well?

The substrate is the soil and the moss at the bottom.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 2-3 months, 2 days.
  • Handling - Not at all yet, making sure to let him settle for a little while before attempting anything to stress him.
  • Feeding - Meal worms, he ate 3 so far but would not go to them at night, as he was at the top and I couldn’t find a good spot to feed him ): figured out a good place for a feeding bowl as of now but I’ll be getting some roaches or proper sized super worms tomorrow. I try to do morning and night for as long as he can eat. And I have not gone into gut loading yet but will be following the sheet I was given earlier once I get proper food.
  • Supplements - Rep-cal and any time I attempt to feed I’m dusting with both.
  • Watering - I mist the cage morning and night/anytime I see the humidity drop. I try to hover over all the plants and such but I soak the soil and moss as well as go around the bottom of the glass. I also use a deli cup as a dripper just in case. I have not seen him drink, I try to stand around after I soak it but he gives me that look that indicates he wants to be alone. (Using a pressurized mister)
  • Fecal Description - Fecies were a very dark brown color but have not had him long enough to take him to get tested.
  • History - non. A little aggressive upon purchase but what veiled isn’t?
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 12x12x18-24? I don’t have the box in hand and am about to sleep but that’s roughly what it is. I know it’s a bit small, the helper at the vivarium told me I should be okay for now, clearly I’ll have to upgrade within a couple of months.
  • Lighting - Brand of UVB - reptisus 5.0 UVB. Heat light is a nano infrared heat lamp. I’m going to be doing 8am-8pm for both lights.
  • Temperature - I have both a humidity and temperature thermostat. Humidity I keep around mid-high 60’s. Although I’ll notice a drop at some points down to 50’s but avoid letting it go below 45 and make sure to spray up if it gets anywhere near . Temp is around 72-75 on the bottom and 91-94 at the top. I have not checked the temp over night.
  • Humidity - As mentioned before, 45 minimum, but if I see it below 50 in general I make sure to spray it and get it back to mid-high 60’s.
  • Plants - fake Plants. Hoping to get live plants once I upgrade the cage.
  • Placement - Cage is on a small night stand against the wall in the corner of my room. I have an old tv blocking it so it simulates a very segregated room. Not near any fans nor air vents.
  • Location - I live in The Bay Area. My town is a bit warmer than other places over here. It’s easy bay in specific. The ventilation in my room is good as well.

Don't feed him at night, he cannot digest his food without the basking temperature from daytime.

You give calcium with D3 in every feeding?

Get a MistKing system, you won't regret it.

Don't feed him at night, he cannot digest his food without the basking temperature from daytime.

You give calcium with D3 in every feeding?

Get a MistKing system, you won't regret it.
Got it. I’ll try a little earlier on, maybe a few hours before bed time.

And Yes thats what I was told by the worker at the vivarium and a few videos. Should I hold back on one of them for every feeding?

Is the mistKind that automatic misting system? If so, yeah I’m grabbing one soon. I just wanna take care of my whole food situation. That’s priority for now.

And Yes thats what I was told by the worker at the vivarium and a few videos. Should I hold back on one of them for every feeding?

Is the mistKind that automatic misting system? If so, yeah I’m grabbing one soon. I just wanna take care of my whole food situation. That’s priority for now.

Feed him in the morning. And yes do not give him that RepCal calcium with D3 in every feeding if that's what you're using. Yes Mistking in that automatic misting system.

Feed him in the morning. And yes do not give him that RepCal calcium with D3 in every feeding if that's what you're using. Yes Mistking in that automatic misting system.
Should I be feeding him twice a day? He’s 2-3 months currently. And got it, how often should I give him the calcium with D3?

Should I be feeding him twice a day? He’s 2-3 months currently. And got it, how often should I give him the calcium with D3?

I personally use a feeder cup. I put his insects in a feeder cup I bought from Nick from full throttle every morning. Sometimes he rush immediately after I leave the cup inside to catch the insects, sometimes he eye me for a bit but walk slowly to his food and other times he just want to be left alone.

I'm not sure how much D3 is in RepCal. But I believe twice a month should be okay. Give him calcium alone for the rest of his feedings.

I use Exo Terra's for all my reptiles inc 2 chams. However, I use fully bio active setups.

If you don't have a way to remove excess water and have a good drainage layer, you will find the enclosure swimming in a muddy pond. This WILL cause health issues.

I honestly reccomend you have a think about either going full bio active or removing the substrate and needing to handle water in the bottom all the time.

Unfortunately, the size of the viv, which looks to be Large XTall, isn't big enough for a male Panther and so definitely not for a male veiled as he grows up.

Please also ensure the heat source isn't resting on the screen as he will be badly burnt if he crawls below the bulb. 20190203_103659.jpg

This is my Panther setup to give you an idea.

• Handling - Not at all yet, making sure to let him settle for a little while before attempting anything to stress him.
  • Feeding - Meal worms, he ate 3 so far but would not go to them at night, as he was at the top and I couldn’t find a good spot to feed him ): figured out a good place for a feeding bowl as of now but I’ll be getting some roaches or proper sized super worms tomorrow. I try to do morning and night for as long as he can eat. And I have not gone into gut loading yet but will be following the sheet I was given earlier once I get proper food.
  • Supplements - Rep-cal and any time I attempt to feed I’m dusting with both.
  • Watering - I mist the cage morning and night/anytime I see the humidity drop. I try to hover over all the plants and such but I soak the soil and moss as well as go around the bottom of the glass. I also use a deli cup as a dripper just in case. I have not seen him drink, I try to stand around after I soak it but he gives me that look that indicates he wants to be alone. (Using a pressurized mister)
  • Fecal Description - Fecies were a very dark brown color but have not had him long enough to take him to get tested.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 12x12x18-24? I don’t have the box in hand and am about to sleep but that’s roughly what it is. I know it’s a bit small, the helper at the vivarium told me I should be okay for now, clearly I’ll have to upgrade within a couple of months.
  • Lighting - Brand of UVB - reptisus 5.0 UVB. Heat light is a nano infrared heat lamp. I’m going to be doing 8am-8pm for both lights.
  • Temperature - I have both a humidity and temperature thermostat. Humidity I keep around mid-high 60’s. Although I’ll notice a drop at some points down to 50’s but avoid letting it go below 45 and make sure to spray up if it gets anywhere near . Temp is around 72-75 on the bottom and 91-94 at the top. I have not checked the temp over night.
  • Humidity - As mentioned before, 45 minimum, but if I see it below 50 in general I make sure to spray it and get it back to mid-high 60’s.
  • Plants - fake Plants. Hoping to get live plants once I upgrade the cage.
  • Placement - Cage is on a small night stand against the wall in the corner of my room. I have an old tv blocking it so it simulates a very segregated room. Not near any fans nor air vents.
  • Location - I live in The Bay Area. My town is a bit warmer than other places over here. It’s easy bay in specific. The ventilation in my room is good as well.

Ok I am going to go through this line by line....
  • Feeding - Meal worms, he ate 3 so far but would not go to them at night, as he was at the top and I couldn’t find a good spot to feed him ): figured out a good place for a feeding bowl as of now but I’ll be getting some roaches or proper sized super worms tomorrow. I try to do morning and night for as long as he can eat. And I have not gone into gut loading yet but will be following the sheet I was given earlier once I get proper food. Only feed in the morning... They have to bask all day to digest. Give him about 15 feeders everyday. The bulk of his diet should be crickets and dubia. Superworms should only make up about 20% of his diet. Check into Black soldier fly larve as well.
  • Supplements - Rep-cal and any time I attempt to feed I’m dusting with both. It is very important. Calcium with D3 is ONLY given 2 times a month and a multivitamin is given 2 times a month. You will pick a day of the week to do this and rotate between the two each week. Calcium WITHOUT d3 is given at every other feed. Only lightly dusting your feeders no powdered donut effect.
  • Watering - I mist the cage morning and night/anytime I see the humidity drop. I try to hover over all the plants and such but I soak the soil and moss as well as go around the bottom of the glass. I also use a deli cup as a dripper just in case. I have not seen him drink, I try to stand around after I soak it but he gives me that look that indicates he wants to be alone. (Using a pressurized mister) So target range for humidity during the day is 30-50% at most. Never spraying him directly, Spray the plants. At night it can be much higher. (you need live plants like Pothos)
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 12x12x18-24? I don’t have the box in hand and am about to sleep but that’s roughly what it is. I know it’s a bit small, the helper at the vivarium told me I should be okay for now, clearly I’ll have to upgrade within a couple of months. With that size the upgrade is sooner then later. I would start looking now at what you want to get and any modifications to the cage you will need to make. Drainage, vinyl siding etc,
  • Lighting - Brand of UVB - reptisus 5.0 UVB. Heat light is a nano infrared heat lamp. I’m going to be doing 8am-8pm for both lights. UVB must be a T5HO fixture with a 10.0 bulb. Basking area 7-8 inches below it. I would buy the fixture length you will need for your next cage. red heat bulb needs to be replaced asap as well.
  • Temperature - I have both a humidity and temperature thermostat. Humidity I keep around mid-high 60’s. Although I’ll notice a drop at some points down to 50’s but avoid letting it go below 45 and make sure to spray up if it gets anywhere near . Temp is around 72-75 on the bottom and 91-94 at the top. I have not checked the temp over night. Not an issue with humidity dropping as low as 30% during the day. We focus on higher humidity at night utilizing a cool mist fogger between the hours of 1-5. 91-94 is Wayyyyyyy to hot... If this is what it is at basking level where he sits he is baking... Must be lowered to 85 degrees max for his age. This is why I always say screen cages are better for new keepers.
  • Humidity - As mentioned before, 45 minimum, but if I see it below 50 in general I make sure to spray it and get it back to mid-high 60’s. Already mentioned this.
  • Plants - fake Plants. Hoping to get live plants once I upgrade the cage. You need a live plant now and to remove all the soil and moss from the bottom now. Get a pothos plant that has some vines to it so you can weave them around the enclosure. On top of the soil put 1 inch or bigger rock to keep him from eating it. Veileds like to eat plants so you have to stick to plants that are deamed ok for them. These specific ones are all good for him https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/plants/
resources for you to check out.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

I personally use a feeder cup. I put his insects in a feeder cup I bought from Nick from full throttle every morning. Sometimes he rush immediately after I leave the cup inside to catch the insects, sometimes he eye me for a bit but walk slowly to his food and other times he just want to be left alone.

I'm not sure how much D3 is in RepCal. But I believe twice a month should be okay. Give him calcium alone for the rest of his feedings.
I highly recommend this feeding cup! Especially when you are going to be feeding him lots of bugs. I have had great success with it.

Ok I am going to go through this line by line....
  • Feeding - Meal worms, he ate 3 so far but would not go to them at night, as he was at the top and I couldn’t find a good spot to feed him ): figured out a good place for a feeding bowl as of now but I’ll be getting some roaches or proper sized super worms tomorrow. I try to do morning and night for as long as he can eat. And I have not gone into gut loading yet but will be following the sheet I was given earlier once I get proper food. Only feed in the morning... They have to bask all day to digest. Give him about 15 feeders everyday. The bulk of his diet should be crickets and dubia. Superworms should only make up about 20% of his diet. Check into Black soldier fly larve as well.
  • Supplements - Rep-cal and any time I attempt to feed I’m dusting with both. It is very important. Calcium with D3 is ONLY given 2 times a month and a multivitamin is given 2 times a month. You will pick a day of the week to do this and rotate between the two each week. Calcium WITHOUT d3 is given at every other feed. Only lightly dusting your feeders no powdered donut effect.
  • Watering - I mist the cage morning and night/anytime I see the humidity drop. I try to hover over all the plants and such but I soak the soil and moss as well as go around the bottom of the glass. I also use a deli cup as a dripper just in case. I have not seen him drink, I try to stand around after I soak it but he gives me that look that indicates he wants to be alone. (Using a pressurized mister) So target range for humidity during the day is 30-50% at most. Never spraying him directly, Spray the plants. At night it can be much higher. (you need live plants like Pothos)
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 12x12x18-24? I don’t have the box in hand and am about to sleep but that’s roughly what it is. I know it’s a bit small, the helper at the vivarium told me I should be okay for now, clearly I’ll have to upgrade within a couple of months. With that size the upgrade is sooner then later. I would start looking now at what you want to get and any modifications to the cage you will need to make. Drainage, vinyl siding etc,
  • Lighting - Brand of UVB - reptisus 5.0 UVB. Heat light is a nano infrared heat lamp. I’m going to be doing 8am-8pm for both lights. UVB must be a T5HO fixture with a 10.0 bulb. Basking area 7-8 inches below it. I would buy the fixture length you will need for your next cage. red heat bulb needs to be replaced asap as well.
  • Temperature - I have both a humidity and temperature thermostat. Humidity I keep around mid-high 60’s. Although I’ll notice a drop at some points down to 50’s but avoid letting it go below 45 and make sure to spray up if it gets anywhere near . Temp is around 72-75 on the bottom and 91-94 at the top. I have not checked the temp over night. Not an issue with humidity dropping as low as 30% during the day. We focus on higher humidity at night utilizing a cool mist fogger between the hours of 1-5. 91-94 is Wayyyyyyy to hot... If this is what it is at basking level where he sits he is baking... Must be lowered to 85 degrees max for his age. This is why I always say screen cages are better for new keepers.
  • Humidity - As mentioned before, 45 minimum, but if I see it below 50 in general I make sure to spray it and get it back to mid-high 60’s. Already mentioned this.
  • Plants - fake Plants. Hoping to get live plants once I upgrade the cage. You need a live plant now and to remove all the soil and moss from the bottom now. Get a pothos plant that has some vines to it so you can weave them around the enclosure. On top of the soil put 1 inch or bigger rock to keep him from eating it. Veileds like to eat plants so you have to stick to plants that are deamed ok for them. These specific ones are all good for him https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/plants/
resources for you to check out.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/
Thank you for all of the useful info, I’ll get to changing everything as soon as I can to get the little guy in the most comfortable environment!

Also you mentioned removing the soil and moss and then said to keep the soil and put a rock on top of it?

And one last thing, is there a calcium powder I should have that doesn’t have D3 in it? Because all I was sold was the calcium with D3 and the multivitamin powder.

Thank you for all of the useful info, I’ll get to changing everything as soon as I can to get the little guy in the most comfortable environment!

Also you mentioned removing the soil and moss and then said to keep the soil and put a rock on top of it?

And one last thing, is there a calcium powder I should have that doesn’t have D3 in it? Because all I was sold was the calcium with D3 and the multivitamin powder.
So the soil and moss substrate you have in the bottom of the cage has to go... But when you do a live plant from the plant list you will always want to put 1 inch or larger rocks on the top of the soil to keep him from eating it. Veileds are notorious for eating anything they want. This is why we do not want to put fake plants in. Should they get a piece off it can be very dangerous.

Take pics of your supplements so we can see what exactly they gave you. Some are better to use then others.
Here are a few without D3 you can use on your every feeding except when you use the other supplements.
Exo-Terra Calcium and Repashy Supercal NoD. You can also use miner-All Outdoor as it has no D3.

Sorry to hear The East Bay Vivarium is giving out such poor advice. They used to breed a lot of what they sold. Sounds like they don’t breed their own veileds, if they did, they would give better advice. I bought all my reptiles from them exclusively for years, they are usually very helpful.

You need three different types of supplements total: calcium with NO vitamin D3, calcium WITH vitamin D3, and a multivitamin. Here is how and when to use them:
1.) dust all feeders with calcium with NO vitamin D3 at every feeding
2.) dust all feeders with calcium WITH vitamin D3 twice a month
3.) dust all feeders with multivitamin twice a month

Sorry to hear The East Bay Vivarium is giving out such poor advice. They used to breed a lot of what they sold. Sounds like they don’t breed their own veileds, if they did, they would give better advice. I bought all my reptiles from them exclusively for years, they are usually very helpful.
Yeah, I was really excited because I’ve heard a lot of good things about them. When I first went in to get all of the supplies BEFORE purchase, the person helping me seemed like she wasn’t 100% confident in what she was saying, as she was turning to one of the higher ups for a lot of the info. I really wanted to work with one of the more experienced workers and even tried to go out of my way too but I ended up being helped by one of them. I didn’t want to be rude and they seemed very friendly so I went with it and trusted. I won’t hold them responsible, I’m just very glad I got approved for the forum.

Back
Top Bottom