Male Territorial communi

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
Credit: Petr Necas
MALES TERRITORIALITY

Chameleon control their territories over great distances of tenths meters. They see their rivals and signal with the brightest colors and patters who is the boss of the tree. This does not induce any aggression, it is their natural state and communication.
In captivity, males that do not see any other males over distance tend to be extremely aggressive towards other males, females (they can hurt them or even kill during courtship) and strangely also towards people.
To provide visual contact over safe distance is a crucial part of naturalistic husbandry approach...

The Responsible Herpetoculture Project of BION Terrarium Center
www.bion.com
www.chameleons.info

Attachments

• 45D51DE7-C383-489F-9FEA-07EF1272A1AC.jpeg
    45D51DE7-C383-489F-9FEA-07EF1272A1AC.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I wonder if there's a distance at which that control of territory becomes aggressive...at what point does the male chameleon react to the other male chameleon in an aggressive way?

What about females seeing another female?
Females and males seeing each other?

I wonder if there's a distance at which that control of territory becomes aggressive...at what point does the male chameleon react to the other male chameleon in an aggressive way?

What about females seeing another female?
Females and males seeing each other?
I’m pretty sure I saw an article with a little of that mentioned, let me see if I can find it...

Does this mean we have to provide male & male confrontation chances? Even if all of it is is that they are able to see one another from across the room?

I don't think we should take it that far just based on this. If anything all this means, at most, is that captive chams catching glimpses of each other here and there isn't the huge sin a lot of keepers make it out to be.

Back
Top Bottom