Male Superciliaris on the Lookout

mphelps

Established Member
My pair of Brookesia superciliaris are normally pretty reclusive. When I walk into the room they reside, even if I never approach the cage. But today the male decided to assert his control of the terrarium. For some reason, he has perched himself on the highest, most exposed grapevine branch, and he is standing his ground. I even opened the front glass doors (Exo Terra 18x18x18) just inches from his nose and he just looked back at me.

I'd like to think that he has suddenly become comfortable and doesn't see me as a threat. But that's unlikely. Could he be scanning for the female, and decided that finding her is worth the risk?

He's been in the same position for about an hour.

Attachments

• Male on Lookout Front cropped.jpg
    Male on Lookout Front cropped.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Male on Lookout Side.jpg
    Male on Lookout Side.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 159
Well did you check that the female is ok? Maybe you are too late and he is just telling the world what he had done.:D:D I enjoyed these guys a lot while I had them, your guy is exceptionally nice. Do I hear the patter of little feet in your future??

Well did you check that the female is ok? Maybe you are too late and he is just telling the world what he had done.:D:D I enjoyed these guys a lot while I had them, your guy is exceptionally nice. Do I hear the patter of little feet in your future??

The female was in the back of the cage, rather hidden, but keeping an eye on everything. I would love for them to breed, but no evidence of that so far.

So you kept superciliaris. How did they do for you? Can you give me any advice? Did they breed for you?

I am really enjoying my pair. They seem to be thriving, but I am only at the beginning with this pair, and having never kept a Brookesia species before, I am trying not to be overly confident. I'm just hoping that they continue to thrive.

I lost the female when she was egg bound. Gave the male to my sister. i am gutless and was afraid they were too fragile. My sister had the male for another 11 months after I had the pair for 8 months. I kept them in a 20 gal long tank, and so did my sis. Your set up is so much better & is what I would do today, if I were to do it again. Let me know how it goes for you. PM any questions if you want.

Back
Top Bottom